• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Showpiece

paynes1

Hello All

I am a student and need to begin preparation for the class final project which is a decorative centerpiece. The medium to be used include chocolate, pastillage, pate morte and cast sugar as these are the class topics. Any other medium that I have learned to use could also be included. The class has just started but I want to work early. How do I implement the design process? Any input that you have would be appreciated. Please include any books, websites, articles etc. Thanks.

You can start in one of two ways:

1) Think about the medium that you are most comfortable using. Then decide on a concept for your project.

2) If you're confident that you can work in any medium, think about the concept of your piece: will it be concrete (i.e. replicating a natural object---like a vase of flowers) or abstract (i.e. deconstructing a garden scene and reassembling its colors and textures in a new and unexpected way). Either way, using this approach, you can combine different mediums to convey your idea.

To give you an example, I have to make table centerpieces for Valentine's day.

If I went with approach number 1: I like to work with pastillage and royal icing. Since these mediums are very good for "structural" work and are not temperature sensitive, I'm going to make boxes but monogram the lid of the box in "satin stitching" and embroidery (to give it a Victorian look), use the pastillage to replicate the tissue stuffing, and fill the box with an assortment of chocolates.

If I went with approach number 2: Valentine's day is typically associated with chocolate but I want to do a fruit theme to convey the fillings of my truffles ( a little abstract but easy enough for people to understand my idea). Since marzipan takes very kindly to natural hues, I will construct a basket using nougatine (do the detail work in royal icing), fill it with truffles, and decorate the base of the piece with an assortment of marzipan fruit. Also, you can place the entire piece on a base of black poured sugar that is marbled with gold dust.

I hope this helps to give you a good start.

• 4 weeks later...
Define 'does not look well'.

The figures were cut out of chocolate using a template the edges are not smooth and the pieces does not at all resemble the pictures. The details are piped on appear stacked and not feathered as they should be.

• 3 months later...

I wanted to start a new topic for showpieces since we have just begun doing them with little guidance. Here are some of the first ones. Comments are much appreciated.

lrWqA2Gs2D8FsAKmTHYSIQ0jpg3smdQ2.jpg

3MaHkqEm3T_deMf4P986tpbueC005Acf.jpg

_GZ6jdOA4T9QWMhdcnmrzsn404ZQJEEu.jpg

These are for a wedding this weekend for a client here.

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

Sorry I am not critisizing but I cant really see in the light, is that a transfer on the first one in the backdrop or is it really bad bloom. From what I can see it almost looks like hearts but I really cant tell for sure.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Lovely showpieces! I see what you mean about the uneven shine however. It looks like the contraction marks you can get on large smooth molds.

You might be able to minimize those marks a bit with a badger hair brush. There is a discussion on minimizing those marks somewhere here on eG. I'll see if I can find it and link to it.

Here we go. Start at post #204

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Lovely showpieces!  I see what you mean about the uneven shine however.  It looks like the contraction marks you can get on large smooth molds. 

You might be able to minimize those marks a bit with a badger hair brush.  There is a discussion on minimizing those marks somewhere here on eG.  I'll see if I can find it and link to it.

Thanks for the tip. I have been considering getting one for a while now, just never got around to it. Maybe in August when I visit the US. Any other ways to polish chocolate? I know those brushes are expensive.

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

Lovely showpieces!  I see what you mean about the uneven shine however.  It looks like the contraction marks you can get on large smooth molds. 

You might be able to minimize those marks a bit with a badger hair brush.  There is a discussion on minimizing those marks somewhere here on eG.  I'll see if I can find it and link to it.

Thanks for the tip. I have been considering getting one for a while now, just never got around to it. Maybe in August when I visit the US. Any other ways to polish chocolate? I know those brushes are expensive.

I did get a nice brush from Lee Valley - I've forgotten what kind of hair, but it's wonderfully soft and seems to work on the marks. Here is a link to it. Lee Valley also had badger brushes, but they weren't soft like the ones I had seen at Tomric and at Hilliard.

actually, i got a badger airbrush with a 1/4 hp compressor, 5 extra brushes, and a whole grab bag full of stuff (cleaning utensils, spare pigment containers, etc) for about 65 bucks on ebay. sure it's used, but it'd been used for food applications and 5 of the 6 airbrushes were brand new. compressor's great. some great deals can be had if you're willing to invest the time and be patient....

actually, i got a badger airbrush with a 1/4 hp compressor, 5 extra brushes, and a whole grab bag full of stuff (cleaning utensils, spare pigment containers, etc) for about 65 bucks on ebay.  sure it's used, but it'd been used for food applications and 5 of the 6 airbrushes were brand new.  compressor's great.  some great deals can be had if you're willing to invest the time and be patient....

Bonus! What are you airbrushing these days?

actually, i got a badger airbrush with a 1/4 hp compressor, 5 extra brushes, and a whole grab bag full of stuff (cleaning utensils, spare pigment containers, etc) for about 65 bucks on ebay.  sure it's used, but it'd been used for food applications and 5 of the 6 airbrushes were brand new.  compressor's great.  some great deals can be had if you're willing to invest the time and be patient....

Bonus! What are you airbrushing these days?

my daughter and i play a lot in the kitchen at home (she's 9 and can slab temper, make a stable ganache, etc - i'm training her to work for me when she's older 8-) ). i thought she'd enjoy airbrushing, so we got one. not airbrushing anything special, just moulds. she makes a mean toffee as well, and last night we made black raspberry marshmallows and peppermint marshmallows just to see what it'd be like.

Lior - i hadn't thought about the 220 bit for you... i know a lot of them are coming out of china these days - i've no idea what the quality's like, but you might be able to track some down on alibaba.com or something similar. at the end of the day it might simply be worth spending the extra $60 or whatever it is and get an established reputable brand locally (local service, troubleshooting, etc)

Badger might be the most preferred but I went into an art store and said I needed badger or anything comparable and told them the purpose. They sold me a brush that might have been goats hair? and the bristles were very soft like the badger hair for only about 20 $ CAD.

Oh, another recommendation was to get a paint sprayer and spray it (with chocolate of course!) Derek Poirer with Valrhona suggested that to me and says it is common to do so.

Edited by prairiegirl (log)

Has anyone heard of a can of spay that sprays clear cocoa butter? What would it be used on/for?

I've seen cans of food grade lacquer for shine, but never cocoa butter.

chefrubber has aerosolized cocoa butter and colored cocoa butter (undre pressure, think spray paint can). good for large area color work, but nothing detailed. uncolored ccb i'd use only for barrier coating application (ie slow down moisture migration between say, a cracker and a marshmallow, or a cookie and a caramel, etc)