• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

so i've got some butter...

velocity

my first day of actual posting (i'm officially an ex-lurker) and i've already started a new topic. sheesh.

just an idea that i've had floating around and a quick search of the archives hasn't shown up with this topic, so i thought i'd ask...

has anyone made some tasty butters with interesting ingredients? i usually keep beurre rouge and herb butters in the freezer to use as a sauce or reduction finisher or just to extend the life of herbs in my garden, but i'd like to explore more ideas. i'm thinking specifically about making use of some lavender that is sitting in the cupboard, and maybe tempering the flavor by adding citrus zest or honey to it and making a butter compound.

i've got lots of freezer space and some extra time on my hands, so any ideas would be great. i'm not too impatient to spend time clarifying, if need be.

have a great day!

The combinations for compound butters is virtually endless for sweet, savory, salty or sour, from the most delicate flowers (borage for instance, or violets) to the many types of peppers, curry spices, and so on.

A previous topic, a couple of years ago, had some great ideas.

also, you might try looking through the ideas Here, at MelindaLee.com. Melinda is a talk show host on KNX am in the L.A. area and has been for many years.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

These are some combinations I like, but I usually eyeball the amounts so you'll have to experiment there.

My go to favorite

lemon zest

chopped rosemary

salt

thyme

lavender

honey

orange zest

salt-optional

roasted garlic

anchovy paste

ground dried porcini to taste

I tend to go litely on this one as the ancho, and paprika can really take over.

smoked salt

smoked paprika

ancho chili powder

I haven't made it, but a ornage zest and red chili sounds pretty good too.

Jeff

Is this the thread you were thinking of?  http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=45516&hl=

No, I posted in the one to which I referred in my earlier post. I'll have to try a search under related topics.

Found it! Herb butters, looking for inspiration.

By the way, I make a compound butter with one of the Indonesian sambals, Sambal Badjak, which is amazing with rice (or couscous) and on roasted "winter" vegetables.

I sometimes make my own, when I can get all the ingredients, and this recipe:

Sambal badjak is excellent.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

these are great suggestions. i particularly love the idea of the briny anchovy, and can see how the morel water would really temper it and send it on a completely different path. any ideas on some sweet variations? i have some maple sugar that i've been itching to use in a butter, but maybe with something else chucked in for good measure. a little bit of sage?

thanks for the thread posts. i guess i overlooked those two while trolling through 20+ pages of results. search engines have never been my friends.

For something sweet how 'bout Amaretto, or coconut w/ lime zest?

that sounds right up my alley. i've been looking for a reason to buy some amaretto, and that would be really tasty on some french toast. thanks for the suggestion!