• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tokyo Restaurants: Reviews & Recs

Jason Perlow

A question related, but not identical to ones that have been asked here before - if you had about 10 days in Tokyo, without budget constraints, where would you dine? I've consulted the guides that are pinned, they're no help, just lists of hundreds of places. I've also picked up a copy of Zagat, but I don't trust it at all for nyc, so why should Tokyo be any different?

M

Orik:

Zagat Tokyo seems reasonably accurate for Western food (at least for those restaurants that I've been to), but the Japanese food coverage tends to focus on places that are well known and/or that can handle foreign guests (not a big surprise, given the target market). I've found that for Japanese food, one is best served by relying on friends who live in Japan for recommendations.

With that in mind, let us know what kind of places you're interested in, and I'm sure that you'll get a number of responses. There are also a couple of threads in the Japan board that cover Tokyo restaurants that you might want to skim through. I looked at them a few days ago and found many of the recommendations concur with my own views (one can argue if this is a good thing or not).

Look forward to hearing from you.

kazuo,

As far as Japanese food goes, I'd obviously like to dine at a couple of very good sushi places, but also to try types of cuisine that are not available here or available, but not very good by Japanese standards, such as ramen and Okonomiyaki. I also understand there are places specializing in Unagi, which I love. French restaurants that are not clones of Paris restaurants, that's also of interest. Mmmm...what else? Whale. Kobe Beef. Other things I'm not even aware of that I should try? Maybe a Kaiseki meal?

M

Orik:

Check out the thread that Kristin pinned. Some excellent info in there. I'm not much of a ramen fan, but if you check for posts by Bon, there is a wealth of information. There is also a short thread on Italian restaurants in Tokyo that has some recommendations if you feel the need for a pasta fix while you're here.

Now, for some (hopefully) relevant suggestions (most of these should be in Zagat; I've included a phone number for those that I suspect are not):

Sushi: If you're relatively new to Tokyo and are not dining with people who already are regulars some place, it might be better to stick to places that are used to a mix of regulars and first-timers. There are some famous names (Jiro, Kyubei) that are uniformly quite good and breathtakingly expensive. Midori Zushi also gets good reviews but isn't as expensive. There are also a number of places adjacent to the wholesale market in Tsukiji for the obligatory sushi breakfast after checking out the markets.

Unagi: Miyagawa is pretty good as a general rule. I haven't been to Yama no chaya in years, but it's about as close to a kaiseki eel dinner as you can find - it's pretty expensive (I last went in 2000 and dinner was about 30,000 yen per).

Okonomiyaki: Just about any place you go will beat the heck out of anything you can find outside Japan. As long as you're having okonomiyaki, you might as well try monjanyaki as well (see the okonomiyaki thread).

French: In the thread that Kristin pinned, there's a recommendation for Le Bourginion in Nishi Azabu. Highly recommended; it has a tremendous wine list (Huet Vouvrays from the 50's and 60's, Gannoux Pommards from the 50's, etc.)for such a small (22 seats) place. Cote D'Or in Mita is also quite nice.

Other: There was a recommendation from Sinbad (I think) for Wakon Yosai (3479-0539) in Nishi Azabu, with which I fully concur. It's a Kyushu style izakaya. Other izakaya that merit a look (most require some ability to read or speak Japanese):

Sasano (3475-6055) near Nogizaki

Matsu (3442-3915) in Ebisu

Odajima (3401-3345) in Roppongi

Sakura (3409-8683) in Minami Aoyama

Enjoy.

Edited by kazuo (log)

When I lived in Tokyo, we used to go to the Sushi-Sei location in Akasaka Mitsuke.

I think if was up from the train station about two blocks and over a block or so. Just wondering if anyone knows if it is still there? We may be going to Japan next year and would like to visit again. Can someone help us out?

Thanks

CM

Sushi Sei or Suishi Say?

http://www.gnavi.co.jp/gn/en/g183504h.htm

If it's not the one you are searching for, I will make another search.

Hiroyuki San

I can't thank you enough!

I'm sure that's the one from the map they included.

We used to go there often and you could walk out very satisfied for about 5000 Yen. They had great O-Toro too.

Thanks again for helping out! :biggrin:

CM

Hiroyuki San

I can't thank you enough!

I'm sure that's the one from the map they included.

We used to go there often and you could walk out very satisfied for about 5000 Yen. They had great O-Toro too.

Thanks again for helping out! :biggrin:

CM

I've never been there. My old office was in Akasaka and I used to go to another place in the neighborhood that was good value.

However, this one looks like a good deal too, provided the food is good. There's a link on the page to a Japanese menu (actually requires two clicks to get there) and the prices seem remarkably good for a non-kaiten place.

I'll have to try it next time I'm in the neighborhood.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

I've never been there.  My old office was in Akasaka and I used to go to another place in the neighborhood that was good value.

However, this one looks like a good deal too, provided the food is good. There's a link on the page to a Japanese menu (actually requires two clicks to get there) and the prices seem remarkably good for a non-kaiten place.

I'll have to try it next time I'm in the neighborhood.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim

The sushi was always excellent, although it's been about 13 years since I was last there. Ate there two or three times a month for about six years. Usually a 25 minute wait for a table. If you do get a chance to go, I would appreciate you posting a review here. :biggrin: Thanks.

CM

Found it!

Pizzeria Romano Sabatini in the Suncrest building next to Bell Commons

2-13-5 Kita Aoyama,

Minatoku, Tokyo

3402-2027

Closest subway station is Gaienmae

The restaurant was authentic Italian in cuisine and decor with a nice selection of antipasto, homemade pasta etc.

If you ever go or are familiar with it, let me know if it's still worth a visit.

CM

I have been to the Yokohama location in the Sogo building by Yokohama station. Excellent restaurant! Now that I think about it, it has been much too long since I have been there.....

Some of the best anitpasto I have had in Japan, though that isn't saying much.... :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Tsukudani.

I used to eat all kinds of tsukudani as a child. My favoriate was asari (little clam) no tsukudani. Now I don't eat tsukudani as much as I used to, partly because of its high salt content.

A page describing tsukudani:

http://www.bob-an.com/recipe/dailyjc/hints/tsku/tsku.html

Are they more of a tradition home food or can you get these in restaurants as well?

The best place to get tsukudani would be izakaya style places, they are a good otsumami or food to nibble on while drinking.

• 4 weeks later...

This week all of the department stores in my area are announcing the sale of Hachiko Sauce, I am not sure if it is a new sauce or just new to my area (Yokohama)...

Anyway I guess it could be considered a Tokyo meibutsu since Hachiko is probably the most famous dog in Tokyo and her statue is the probaly the most famous meeting spot.

the product:

http://www.hachikosauce.co.jp/

the Hachiko story (get your tissues ready!):

http://www.fabuloustravel.com/globe/hachiko/hachiko.html

Edited by torakris (log)

Thank you for sharing the info. Although I was born and bred in Shibuya ward, I have never seen or heard of this product.

I find that the sauce is a specialty of Shibuya. The manufacturer mainly produces sauce for commercial use, but produces three types for home use.

These home-use types are available from limited sources only:

1. Tsu no Kuni Ya liquor shop 津の国屋酒店

東京都渋谷区富ヶ谷2-20-14キャッスルT1階

tel:03-3467-6517  fax:03-3467-6527

2. Shop inside the NHK Broadcast Station

3. Candy Pull

http://www.shibuchika.jp/candypull/main.html

They are all located in Shibuya ward.

torakris, I wonder if you bought a bottle.

torakris, I wonder if you bought a bottle.

No, I haven't. It seems to be for sale at all of the Tokyu department stores in my area for 315 yen ( about $3) so it is a fairly reasonable price. I am not sure if it is a limited time only thing or what.

I do want to pick up a bottle to see what it is like though....

• 3 weeks later...