• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tokyo Restaurants: Reviews & Recs

Jason Perlow

Thanks for all these recommendations - I printed it out (my Dad will be happy). There seems to be several to choose from and I will definitely take him to the Gyoza Stadium. He will get a kick out of it.

Yes, some ramen places are pretty good with gyozas but hard to find those that make their own skin. I like to try some mochi mochi and kari kari outside type with juices spilling out when you bite into it. The place in Bay Area did have that look (sorta), but it wasn't browned enough and totally lacked the flavor.

We have tried Taishoken for their gyoza and it's good.

BTW, it's darn hard to make excellent tasting gyoza. It needs combination of many factors.

You might also want to consider ducking into the basement level food courts (depachika) in a couple of department stores. There are usually at least a couple of gyoza stands where you can buy for take-out.

I tend to like Mitsukoshi and Takashimaya in Nihonbashi, or the FoodShow at Tokyu Shibuya; others to consider include Takashimaya Times Square or Isetan in Shinjuku, Takashimaya in Yokohama, the Ginza big three (Matsuzakaya, Mitsukoshi and Matsuya), etc.

I tend to like Mitsukoshi and Takashimaya in Nihonbashi, or the FoodShow at Tokyu Shibuya; others to consider include Takashimaya Times Square or Isetan in Shinjuku, Takashimaya in Yokohama, the Ginza big three (Matsuzakaya, Mitsukoshi and Matsuya), etc.

These are great recommendations - thank you.

Has anyone seen or use the method of of toromi instead of plain water? I like the look of gyoza with toromi (lacy) and it seems to make the appearance very crunchy looking on the outide.

Has anyone seen or use the method of of toromi instead of plain water?  I like the look of gyoza with toromi (lacy) and it seems to make the appearance very crunchy looking on the outide.

You are talking about hanetsuki gyoza (literally gyoza with wings :biggrin: ) we talked about them for a bit in the gyoza thread starting with this post.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thanks for all these recommendations - I printed it out (my Dad will be happy).  There seems to be several to choose from and I will definitely take him to the Gyoza Stadium.  He will get a kick out of it. 

Yes, some ramen places are pretty good with gyozas but hard to find those that make their own skin.  I like to try some mochi mochi and kari kari outside type with juices spilling out when you bite into it.  The place in Bay Area did have that look (sorta), but it wasn't browned enough and totally lacked the flavor. 

We have tried Taishoken for their gyoza and it's good. 

BTW, it's darn hard to make excellent tasting gyoza.  It needs combination of many factors.

Please write back and tell us what you liked/didn't like. My husband and I will be in Tokyo in September and would love to hear your recommendations. My husband is now learning Japanese for our trip - and I want to make sure he knows how to order good food!

When I read the article about Gyoza Stadium - it sounded like everything I imagined I would find in Tokyo :smile: . Robyn

Thanks for the link Torakris. I've never heard of the term, but it is the style I'm referring to. I don't use kakuriko/potato flour. flour, and water, just flour and water. The same method of cooking though. I'm getting hungry - we won't be eating for another 3 hours. But, we are having yakiniku!

Today (February 14) is the opening of 100% Chocolate Cafe. Produced by Meiji Chocolate it is billing itself as the world's first chocolate themed cafe.

their homepage

a bit from their menu

they also have a "chocolate library" consisting of 56 different kinds of chocolate

the chocolate library

these chocolates are made from 22 different kinds of cocoa beans from 16 different countries.

It is located not too far from Tokyo station and the foods are available for take out or eating in.

map

Everything SEEMS to be in English, then you click on it, then it's all Japanese....

I guess it's another reason to pick up my textbooks again.

yeah you see that a lot in Japan, sometimes I feel sorry for those people who can't read English like my Mother in law who can't even read her own name...

This looks great for dessert after the dumpling stadium :smile: (our hotel is near Tokyo Station so you can be sure I will try it out).

I am advancing in my reading about Japan - and my husband is advancing in his study of Japanese (he is learning the hiragana and katakana symbols - but not the kanji). He tried out his Japanese for the first time today - with a Japanese born woman who works in a local book store. She understood him - and he was thrilled :biggrin: . Robyn

• 3 weeks later...

I will be in Tokyo for one week next month for the first time. As a traveller who is intent on sampling some of the best that Tokyo has to offer (mostly Japanese fare), would the Tokyo Coupons program be a good idea? In other words, are there any *greats* on the list of participating restaurants?

I will be in Tokyo for one week next month for the first time.  As a traveller who is intent on sampling some of the best that Tokyo has to offer (mostly Japanese fare), would the Tokyo Coupons program be a good idea?  In other words, are there any *greats* on the list of participating restaurants?

here is their list of restaurants, there aren't too many Japanese ones on it.... I think it really depends on what you want to eat.

Also if you are travelling by yourself they aren't a good idea because you need at least two people to get the disount.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, minasan :biggrin:

I think I can contribute this topic, cause I am also a big fan of

TokyoCoupons.

One of my friends told me that she found this book in an Indian restaurant

and it’s great book, so I also bought it at bookstore in Shibuya 2 months ago.

I was kind of suspicious about this huge discount first time, but so far

every time it works perfectly.

I already tried many restaurants of TokyoCoupons, so if someone wants to

know about restaurants on this book, maybe I can recommend some dishes which you

cannot forget to order.

Here is my strong recommendation. :wub:

My Lebanon - the wife of Carlos Ghosn, who is now very famous among Japanese as C.E.O of Nissan Company,

is now running her country's restaurant.

I never tried Lebanese food, but I really liked it. They use a lot of

vegetables, beans, spices, although I ate a lot, they gave me very healthy feeling.

Since I read some article about her restaurants on newspaper, I wanted to

try here a long time, but it seemed expensive.

I was very happy when my friend told me that I can try My Lebanon with 50%

off with TokyoCoupons.

Here is the article I just found, but sorry it's in Japnese.

I am reccomending this book for my friend, once they know it, the all bought

TokyoCoupons.

Have a great restaurants life in Tokyo!

@makimaki@

makimaki,

I have a question..

can you go to the same restaurant more than once? or is there only one ticket per restaurant?

do both people eating have to have the coupons or is it only needed by one person?

makimaki,

I have a question..

can you go to the same restaurant more than once? or is there only one ticket per restaurant?

do both people eating have to have the coupons or is it only needed by one person?

the description says, you can use this book only one time for each restaurant.

after you use, they stamp it.

but actually, in my experience, three of them didn't stamp to their pages,

I don't know why, I guess they wanted customer to come back or simply forget to do... :unsure:

for two people, only one book is needed, means,

e.g, for four people, it is allowed to use two books(maximum).

means if only one out of four person has TokyoCoupons, its gonna be 25% off altogether.

if two out of four people have the book, then again its gonna be 50% off altogether.

has anybody tried Tokyo Coupons?

If so, I'd love to here your recommend... :biggrin:

@makimaki@

So, I'll be spending a week in Nakano, about two blocks from Nakano station. Can anyone make any recommendations of worthwhile eateries, markets, supermarkets, food stalls, etc. in the area that will be worth checking out? I'll be making my rounds of the greater Tokyo area, but would like to have some easy stuff planned out for when we don't feel like going very far. Also, it seems that no guidebooks have anything to say about this neighborhood - is there really nothing there? I know that this isn't always the case, as I haven't seen a guidebook mention Daikanyama, yet, and I love that neighborhood...

Many thanks!

well, Nakano-ku is home to a large shopping area called Nakano Sun Mall, here is their website.

sorrry, I couldn't find too much on it in English, if you click on the name of the store it will take you to a page with pictures and information.

also the is the Nakano Broadway Mall, their homepage and another page, like the one for sun mall where you can click on the shops.

this place includes Mandrake on of the biggest anme/manga shops in Tokyo :blink: and I have heard that there is a store there that sells items that were left on trains..... I would have to see it to believe it though...

These two places are full of shops and restaurants and I am sure you will find plenty to do.

EDIT:

broadway mall has 5 floors, so on the map you will see a small box with B1 through 4, just click on a number to see a different floor.

Edited by torakris (log)

I think the fact that Nakano is not in the guidebooks will make it more fun to explore. It's an interesting neighborhood- not exactly central but not suburban either. Very busy and crammed with all sorts of shops. It has a bit of a shitamachi (old downtown) feel to it.

Don't know of any specific places but Frank's Dining Out in Tokyoand Tokyo Food Page mention some Nakano restuarants. The Ainu restaurant sounds interesting.

The Underground Tokyo Guide has a very brief bit on shopping in Nakano, and a longer section on Koenji, a really great neighborhood one station away.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

I lived in Koenji (next station from Nakano) for five years and have relatives there, so I have done a fair bit of exploring in the area.

Nakano Broadway is quite the experience. The entire mall feels like an underground labrynth, even though most of it is aboveground. There are a lot of otaku shops in that mall, so it's a fascinating place to explore and a great place for finding obscure CDs, etc. Check out the food floor/market area in the basement for some possible interesting finds. The restaurants in that mall are quite small and I don't recally anything particularly outstanding.

Koenji, and Nakano to a lesser extent, is heavily populated by students and rock musicians, so the emphasis is on value. There are a few ramen shops of note in Koenji, and a few live house (live rock music) establishments if that interests you.

Oh, Koenji has a little narrow aisle of food stalls that might offer some interesting things to buy. It's nothing big, though. Just follow the produce shops in front of the station.

A mamacharin (commuter bike) would be a great way to explore both areas.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

At Nakano, there is one ramen shop that is worth a visit, Taishoken (大勝軒).

Taishoken at Nakano is where Yamagishi was trained and invented tsukemen.

Taishoken at Nakano

http://gourmet.yahoo.co.jp/gourmet/restaur...0013003214.html

Tsukemen: 480 yen

Tsukesoba special: 750 yen

Map of Nakano

http://www.nakano-city.com/gourmet/gourmet...ourmet_map.html

Nakano Broadway is quite the experience. The entire mall feels like an underground labrynth, even though most of it is aboveground. There are a lot of otaku shops in that mall, so it's a fascinating place to explore and a great place for finding obscure CDs, etc. Check out the food floor/market area in the basement for some possible interesting finds. The restaurants in that mall are quite small and I don't recally anything particularly outstanding.

You'll be able to find quite a lot of quick foods or snacks in or very close to those two malls. I think there are something like three imagawayaki/taiyaki vendors there. There are also a takoyaki vendor, some bakeries / pastry shops, and prepared food shops.

I agree with smallworld, about how Nakano evokes a shitamachi feeling. It has spirit, enthusiasm, and eccentricity. A fun place to explore. I imagine you won't have any problems finding enough interesting food to keep you satisfied for a week.

-------

Alex Parker

Thank you very much for all of the information - I was getting a bit worried, but this sounds exactly like the experience I am looking for! (On my last trip to Tokyo I was at a luxury hotel in Minato Mirai 21 down in Yokohama. While not a bad set up, I could have been in Toronto, or Houston, or Frankfurt - it was just a big soulless business enclave.)

Hiroyuki - I will be sure to check out Taishoken. (And yes, I do love a good ramen.)

Sanrensho - I am intrigued by the mamacharin comment. I tried to search for this but came up with nothing on google - is this a bike rental outfit or something near train stations?

Domo arigato gozaimasu!