• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Pacific Heights (or very near)

adanzig

Making a semi-quick four day trip from the Pacific NW down to SF + wine country and will find myself (with traveling companion) in San Francisco on Christmas Eve. Surprisingly, it looks like many places are actually open...though I'm in need of recommendations specifically for Pacific Heights and don't know enough about the city to make my search even remotely efficient. Price isn't too much of an object -- would welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks!

...though I'm in need of recommendations specifically for Pacific Heights and don't know enough about the city to make my search even remotely efficient.  Price isn't too much of an object -- would welcome any and all suggestions.  Thanks!

The areas closest to Pacific Heights (depending on exactly where) could be Fillmore Street, Union Street, and the western slope of Russian Hill (Polk Street, Hyde Street).

A very good Italian restaurant on Russian Hill is Allegro Romano (very Roman-style, an upscale but casual and cozy neighborhood restaurant). It's on Broadway and Jones, so not walking distance from Pacific Heights, but worth a cab ride.

Susan

with a quick cab ride you can acess nearly all of the city's best restaurants...

Recs...Gary Danko and Michael Mina for fine dining, Tadditch Grill for old school San Francisco, Myth or Canteen for new american, Postrio is a favorite, a little bit further is Incanto for Italian and offal....etc.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Adanzig - can you give an indication as to what kind of food you would like? As Swicks mentioned, you are very close to the Fillmore district which can give you great Italian (Vivande), Roman (S.P.Q.R.), Thai (Jitlada), Southern Haute (Elite Cafe), French cafe (Cassis), Korean (Arang), and all forms of Japanese (Japantown has 30+ restaurants).

As Tupac indicated, Quince is a quick cab ride but you are also in an area where just about any direction you want to go is about a $10 cab ride so you have the entire city at your disposal.

While I am not necessarily a Danko or Mina fan, you could do very well at Myth, Incanto, or Amé depending on your taste desires. That information would help tremendously.

Another word about the Fillmore district. It is beautifully lit this time of year and just wandering around and window shopping while looking for a restaurant might be just the ticket. There is also a movie theater and five different jazz clubs, many of which will have live music going on for entertainment desires.

Thanks so much, everyone. I'd actually come across Quince via my initial round of research and it looked perfect...alas, no service on XMas eve. Great suggestions otherwise, however -- plenty of focused research for me to do now. Thank you!

If Vivande is open, I think Christmas Eve there would be a perfect choice.

I brought a group of ten to Vivande last year for a family Christmas party (a week or so before the actual day) and it was quite perfect. If you go -- whatever you do! -- make sure to at least order whatever the fettuccine of the day special is; even if it is for the table to be shared. They make their fettuccine each day and there are a number of different offerings of it on the menu, but I always check to see what special way it is being prepared that particular day. *The* most ethereal pasta in the city!