• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tastes and Flavors of Fall

Shel_B

I'm looking for some new ways to use winter squash and fall vegetables in concert, along with some interesting or unusual spices or herbs, to produce healthy meals and side dishes. It would be nice to eliminate or minimize the use of butter and cream, but not necessarily elimiate those ingredients.

Any ideas?

shel

... Shel

I'm looking for some new ways to use winter squash and fall vegetables in concert, along with some interesting or unusual spices or herbs, to produce  healthy meals and side dishes.  It would be nice to eliminate or minimize the use of butter and cream, but not necessarily elimiate those ingredients.

Any ideas?

shel

Soup! Possibilities are endless, and the results can be highly virtuous.

Stuff fresh pasta. Everybody loves fresh pasta.

I like winter squash in a curry. Lots of spicy heat plus turmeric and fenugreek, no need for a big caloric count.

edit: horrified to see spell check missed "count" without the "o"

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I'm looking for some new ways to use winter squash and fall vegetables in concert, along with some interesting or unusual spices or herbs, to produce  healthy meals and side dishes.  It would be nice to eliminate or minimize the use of butter and cream, but not necessarily elimiate those ingredients.

Any ideas?

shel

I like to use spaghetti squash like noodles in a bird's nest. Cook them up, scrape out the noodle like strands and then drape over a bowl and bake to crisp them and hold the shape. Then fill with your favorite chinese dish.