• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Lakes - where to go?

That's a disappointing report, Martin. We havnt been to Linthwaite for a couple of years but have enjoyed it before. That said, I think we've enjoyed the hotel side of things more than the food (which has been perfectly fine albeit playing safe.

Hotel breakfasts are one of life's joys for me and, like you, I wasnt thrilled by the offering. You're being far to polite in describing it as "petite".

John

John Hartley

• 2 months later...

LUCY'S, AMBLESIDE

Cafe by day; restaurant by night. We caught it for lunch.

Westmoreland rarebit – four good slices of cheese on toast (spread with mustard). Well dressed mixed salad.

“Fellwalkers salad” – chicken & game pie, ham, cheese. Mixed salad.

Both good plates of food. Came away satisfied & full

PUNCH BOWL, CROSTHWAITE

The pub has a great location next to the village church and there was a warm welcome. The weather offered the first chance to eat outside this year and it was really nice to sit in the sunshine for an hour.

It’s a pub so you order at the bar but drinks and food are brought to your table.

We both took starters from the short “specials” menu. Half a dozen Manx scallops, on the half shell, bacon, parsley & breadcrumbs, cooked under the grill served with a small handful of salad leaves. Salad of crab, smoked salmon and a “carpaccio” of langoustine. Both fresh and light.

There was then an annoying, unexplained and inexplicable delay of 35 minutes before the main courses arrived. Took the edge off what should have continued to be a really nice eating experience.

When the plates finally arrived, a pumpkin, sage and parmesan risotto was fine. The pumpkin had been pureed so there was little texture to the dish except for the rice. Best description is that it was inoffensive. Much more fun was venison haunch cooked, spot on, to medium rare – several slices providing a generous portion. It came with roasted carrot and cauliflower and black rice. I’d not had this rice before and, whilst I couldn’t detect any taste difference from ordinary white rice, the colour made for a very dramatic looking dish. It was finished with a wine sauce which included a hint of bitter chocolate.

Had it not been for the delay with the mains, I would have rated this quite highly.

John Hartley

Interesting thoughts on The Punchbowl Harters. We've just got back from a few nights staying there. The rooms are very nice, although not cheap. We ate there for four nights running, twice in the restaurant and twice in the pub bit. I thought the food was generally very good - I had the venison dish you described and loved it. Steak was also very good.

However, the service in the pub area was poor. They kept making mistakes and when corrected, groaned as if we were being difficult. Informal is fine, but error-strewn isn't. Service in the restaurant area was fine, so I would recommend eating in there, no difference in price.

• 2 months later...

Updated opinions please?

Got a week in the Lakes in a cottage in Keswick area soon.

Thinking a Sunday Lunch at Sharrow Bay, anyone been on a Sunday?

Then lunches at Gilpin Lodge & Holbeck Ghyll, thoughts? (prefer lunches) In between wandering up fell & slobbing about down boozer.

I am also cooking so any specific Delis anywhere?

Has Hipping Hall recrudesced?

I'm going to Holbeck Ghyll for lunch soon. I have a voucher of some sort from a Cumbria Magazine for Four Course lunch and canapes for £24.99. Not sure why the good value.

I've always wanted to hear an Egulleter's opinion of Cedar Manor's restaurant. So erm, go there.

If you're cooking meat, go to Huddlestones in Windermere. I love those guys.

Anyone been to The Samling who can post a review?

Considering it won a Michelin star this last time around, something good must be happening in the kitchen.

Its been on my list since January but the lure of London always seems to drag me off in a southerly direction.

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

We zipped into Holbeck Ghyll on a February Wednesday for a (lonely) lunch... all very nice, and they were very good with our two young nippers, but the food and presentation felt a little dated by contrast with other M* places and, indeed, with a previous visit in 2008. You can't sniff at £25 for a four-course lunch at that standard, though.

Plus, the views are stunning and the building is built on a very neat, human scale that 'feels' right. They had a change of ownership earlier this year, but the intention was to maintain the place as it was (they said).

We always try to go to L'enclume when in the Lakes - no interest there???

I've thought about L'enculme but on reflection just couldn't justify going back there.

Am at least going to head to the Samling, on David's advice.

There are Booths in Kendal & Keswick, but any food outlets other than the Westmorland services & Churchmouse cheeses in Kirby Lonsdale I should be aware of?

I quite like Low Sizergh Barn also. Not sure if Simon Rogan has completely taken over Howbarrow Farm or not but a year ago, I walked from Cark train station to Howbarrow farm on several occasions. It's a beautiful little walk early morning through fields and woodland arriving at the farm shop (which incidently wasn't great but the walk was).

Almost completely unfamiliar with Keswick but there's Good Taste Cafe and Deli, which I'd visit out of interest.

I've thought about L'enculme but on reflection just couldn't justify going back there.

Am at least going to head to the Samling, on David's advice.

There are Booths in Kendal & Keswick, but any food outlets other than the Westmorland services & Churchmouse cheeses in Kirby Lonsdale I should be aware of?

Maybe you should have a read of this and reflect abit more, after reading this L'enclume will be next on my list

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/feature/hit-list-uk-top-50-restaurant

last time I went I had just read similar gush by Coren Junior giving the place 10/10.

Those expectations quickly dissoloved like cake in rain.

I know some people love the place, but count me out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hipping hall looks great , its on my "to do list"

Gilpin lodge , my parents ate there last week , great food , chef from the Roux stables

Sharrow bay , my manager eat there last sunday , classic food in classic location , never really changes there.

Samling , Holbeck ghyll and Linthwaite house ( Roux chef ) all worth a try.

Lenclume for something special

Jerichos in windermere

All the above , well worth a try out , all michelin 2010.

cheers

Sped

CumbriafoodieCumbriafoodie

Thanks for that John, best get myself up there soon.

Strange that I should miss this, although saying that Man Con bombards me with unwanted junk on a daily basis and if I don,t see anything of immediate interest on the lead page it gets deleted.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

I've got Sharrow Bay, Holbeck Ghyll, Samling and because the photo's look so good and they've ditched the painful food descriptions I've booked L'enculme.

And one question. On my way North to Keswick, does anyone have strong opinions whether Churchmouse Cheese shop is better than the Teebay Services cheese range?

(can only stop at one).

Edited by adey73 (log)

Difficult one, based on visits to both earlier in the spring. I'd call it for Churchmouse for specifically regional; Tebay for a wider range.

On a slight tangent, adey - any current lunch recc in Blackpool or immediate surroundings?

Edited by Harters (log)

John Hartley

.....I want some picos blue, Langres, Espoisses & Fourme d'Ambert and more local cheeses. Churchmouse then?

I can't vouchsafe for either, but generally held in high regard are...

www.twelve-restaurant.co.uk

www.hastingslytham.com

Neither are of course in the "deadzone"......... :shock: