• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soggy Crispy Potatoes

Shel_B

Whenever I make crispy home fries, they lose their crispiness after being on the plate a while. The bottoms get somewhat soggy and the taters get a little limp. By the time I'm done eating the taters there's virtually no crispiness left. Is there a way to maintain their crispness?

Hmmm ... I just this moment thought that perhaps the taters went on to the plate too quickly. Maybe they should rest a bit on a rack before plating? Then they'd get cold. Maybe putting them on a rack in a hot oven for a bit? I hate soggy taters that are supposed to be crisp ... any suggestions greatly appreciated.

shel

... Shel

Heston Blumental's method of making fries might work for home fries? Cook the potatoes in seasoned water until almost falling apart, cool in the refirgerator. Deep fry until golden colour, the chill once again. Before serving, deep fry again for a final crisping.