• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef-themed dinner parties

RTep

Not really a dinner party, but we have played IC here at home. Let me explain, my son loved the Japan version of IC and watched it all the time when he was small. In order to get him to eat certain foods (I think all kids go through the everything is yuk stage). My hubby and I told him to pick an ingredient (we gave him a list to choose from) that he was not use to and we would make three dishes each.

Of course he would have to be the judge and he would have to eat at least half. We did this three different time and had three different battles. They were eggs (yes the child would not eat eggs.) green peas and squash.

He ate them and to a degree will at least eat most of these now, thou not his favorite, but through the fun of doing everything in a time limit and my husband not being the greatest cook there was some lessons learned ie: cooiing can be fun and there is more to food than ordering a chicken nugget through a clown's mouth. :raz:

I work at Food & Wine magazine and would love to know of anyone who hosts Iron Chef style dinner parties (ie. there's a secret ingredient to incorporate).

thanks!

Ratha

We have had some sorta similar kinda fun at home: click

We don't go head-to-head under the camera and time constraints, but there is the big reveal of the featured ingredient, and a few guests around to eat the results.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

HI,

I have judged at a "copper chef" party for 6 years. It is lots of fun and the food is always great. Well, maybe not always. My solicitations for bribes, unfortunately, have been ignored.

We have done asparagus, cherries, lemon, almonds and pumpkin. We have about 22 couples and there are at least 6 excellent cooks in the bunch. Traditionally, the winner hosts the next years party and I THINK this explains the lack of presentation points at our last party. (kind of snarky)

Next year, I'm hoping for meat products.

Tim

Edited by tim (log)