• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trip to NYC for the Chocolate Show

Kerry Beal

Last Wednesday afternoon I headed off to NYC with two things in mind. I was attending the first meeting of the Fine Chocolate Industry Association and the New York Chocolate Show.

Thursday morning at 8:30 I was to arrive at the Lincoln Center Campus of Fordham University in the city. Carol had arranged a driver to get me there from Queens. I hesitate to think how late I would have been if we'd left when the car company suggested instead of the time Carol then countered with. I haven't had too many experiences like that in a vehicle. The horn constantly, the yelling at other drivers - Canadians are getting a little more aggressive as drivers, but you hardly ever hear horns.

gallery_34671_3594_48865.jpg

At the meeting of the Fine Chocolate Industry Association, Chair Pam Williams of Ecole Chocolate chats with Frederick Schilling of Dagoba Chocolate.

There was no good food to report on at the meeting - well except the Valrhona samples we tried. I hadn't eaten before I left, thinking there would be the usual collection of donuts and muffins that you have at every meeting - but I was wrong. During the break I went out to find a bite - there was nobody manning the coffee booth at the university entrance - so while I was willing to take a cup of coffee and go back and pay later - I wasn't going behind the booth to liberate a muffin.

I was pretty hungry by the time 1 o'clock rolled around and the meeting was over. I wandered into a mall on Columbus Circle and found a Bouchon bakery to have a bite of lunch. A wonderful red pepper soup, with fabulous little epi buns served with amazing butter. I got the server to find the name of the butter - Buerremont from Vermont - fabulous stuff.

I discovered Cafe Gray in the same plaza - I was very excited to have stumbled across the very place where Alanamoana had worked!! I'm such an eG tourist!! The girls manning the front door were not nearly as impressed as I thought they should have been.

There was a Williams Sonoma in there too - amazingly there was a guitar cutter ($2500) and a coating pan that you attach to your kitchen aid ($550) - things I've never seen at a Williams Sonoma before.

I made my way back to Queens on the subway after a bit of a walk to find a subway station with the right train. Carol had these great little meals from 'Fresh Direct' - a far cry from the heat and serve stuff you'd get from a supermarket here. After supper we headed back to the airport to pick up Max. It was a rather late night, talking about chocolate and our plans for the chocolate show the next day.

gallery_34671_3594_20135.jpg

Trouble in threes, Max (eG - Max12), me, and Carol (eG - Carol Lang) aka The Three Chocolatiers

Here we are heading out for the chocolate show. It opened at 11 am, we were in line at 10. It was just starting to spit outside when they let us in to buy our tickets.

Carol knew just about everyone at the show - between her chocolate group led by Clay Gordon and her courses at Ecole Chocolate and at Valrhona. I also ran into a fair number of the people who had been at the Fine Chocolate Industry Association meeting the day before.

Here are a few pictures from the show - not my best picture taking ever this trip.

gallery_34671_3594_42848.jpg

White chocolate Statue of Liberty at the chocolate show.

gallery_34671_3594_17473.jpg

The Mars display at the chocolate show - it just looked so out of place. I didn't even go over to get a sample so I could say I'd done it.

gallery_34671_3594_6279.jpg

Art Pollard Amano Chocolate (eG's Art). I met Art at the Fine Chocolate Industry Association meeting the day before and couldn't wait to get to his booth to try out his chocolate. We sampled his Madagascar and Ocumare - both fabulous chocolates, rich, complex, smooth - darn tasty. We bought a couple of bars, then found out that Art was hiding the Guyagua behind the desk - so we bought a bar of that too. Another fine chocolate. I've been taking all my bars from friend to friend since I got home so everyone can try them.

gallery_34671_3594_13680.jpg

Mary's Chocolates from Japan. They bring the chocolates frozen and vacuum sealed, then decorate them before sale.

gallery_34671_3594_47720.jpg

Poor photo, but just check out the detail on these babies.

gallery_34671_3594_6158.jpg

Chocolate art on the walls of the Christopher Norman display.

gallery_34671_3594_19147.jpg

Cosmic Chocolate

gallery_34671_3594_16909.jpg

A lot of chocolate art at the show. I can't recall who the vendor was, but it might have been Anna Shea.

I was stopped at the Mad Mac booth checking out their fabulous macarons, when I head a little voice behind me say "is that you Kerry?". It was Alan. I couldn't figure out how he knew what I looked like, but he reminded me that he is one of the few owners of my chocolate tempering DVD.

gallery_34671_3594_11643.jpg

Alan of Patric Chocolate showing off his wares. Neither of us noticed the upside down bar until we looked at the pictures.

We spent a couple of hours at the show, then left to grab a bite of lunch. Apparently in previous years you could come back in if you left, but no longer. After all the chocolate samples I was feeling a little nauseated. We found a burger for lunch - then went off in search of JB Prince. I expected a store front, so was rather surprized to find myself on an elevator in a non descript building on my way to the 11th floor. It was darn hot in there, but it didn't stop me from finding a few goodies. I bought some interesting dipping forks, one of the smaller sphere molds (so now I can struggle to figure out how to use it like everyone else) and a few other odds and ends. I was admiring a little room full of every pastry and chocolate book ever printed. A few minutes later I noticed someone had closed the door, which had a private - no entry sign on it. Oops, glad I didn't actually pull out any of the books. I also admired the fine collection of tempering equipment and equipment for sous vide.

The next day we headed into town again to meet Alan and his father for lunch at Otto. Carol talked 3 ladies on the subway into having lunch there too.

gallery_34671_3594_9438.jpg

On the way to lunch at Otto, we happened across Babbo. I was struck by how small it looked.

gallery_34671_3594_15548.jpg

One of the two Berkel meat slicers at Otto. A thing of beauty.

Lunch was excellent. I enjoyed a plate of salumi and a balamic onion and goat cheese pizza, perfect crust, the sweet onions a perfect counterpoint to the creamy goat cheese. The guinness gelato had a nice bitterness.

After lunch we headed off to find a few chocolate stores.

gallery_34671_3594_13984.jpg

Vosges Haut Chocolate uptown or is that downtown?

gallery_34671_3594_21895.jpg

MarieBelle chocolates - I didn't buy any, the packaging was very pretty and artsy, but for some reason they just didn't appeal.

gallery_34671_3594_9811.jpg

Peeking throught the window on the production side of Kee's Chocolates. She's making pistachio truffles, she takes the amazingly smooth ganache, coats it in a very thin layer of white chocolate and squishes the pistachio bits into it.

There were no creme brulee chocolates when we arrived. We had to come back the next day. The store opened at 11, I called about 11:30 to reserve some and there were only 2 left available. By the time we got there at 3:30 or so she had made another batch.

Sunday we went out looking for Akvavit, a knock off designer purse for a friends granddaughter and to find Beard Papa's.

gallery_34671_3594_3965.jpg

Beard Papa - my new love. I've got to figure out how to make them.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Last Wednesday afternoon I headed off to NYC with two things in mind.  I was attending the first meeting of the Fine Chocolate Industry Association and the New York Chocolate Show.

Thursday morning at 8:30 I was to arrive at the Lincoln Center Campus of Fordham University in the city.  Carol had arranged a driver to get me there from Queens.  I hesitate to think how late I would have been if we'd left when the car company suggested instead of the time Carol then countered with.  I haven't had too many experiences like that in a vehicle.  The horn constantly, the yelling at other drivers - Canadians are getting a little more aggressive as drivers, but you hardly ever hear horns. 

gallery_34671_3594_48865.jpg

At the meeting of the Fine Chocolate Industry Association, Chair Pam Williams of Ecole Chocolate chats with Frederick Schilling of Dagoba Chocolate.

There was no good food to report on at the meeting - well except the Valrhona samples we tried.  I hadn't eaten before I left, thinking there would be the usual collection of donuts and muffins that you have at every meeting - but I was wrong.  During the break I went out to find a bite - there was nobody manning the coffee booth at the university entrance - so while I was willing to take a cup of coffee and go back and pay later - I wasn't going behind the booth to liberate a muffin. 

I was pretty hungry by the time 1 o'clock rolled around and the meeting was over.  I wandered into a mall on Columbus Circle and found a Bouchon bakery to have a bite of lunch.  A wonderful red pepper soup, with fabulous little epi buns served with amazing butter.  I got the server to find the name of the butter - Buerremont from Vermont - fabulous stuff. 

I discovered Cafe Gray in the same plaza - I was very excited to have stumbled across the very place where Alanamoana had worked!!  I'm such an eG tourist!!  The girls manning the front door were not nearly as impressed as I thought they should have been. 

There was a Williams Sonoma in there too - amazingly there was a guitar cutter ($2500) and a coating pan that you attach to your kitchen aid ($550) - things I've never seen at a Williams Sonoma before. 

I made my way back to Queens on the subway after a bit of a walk to find a subway station with the right train.  Carol had these great little meals from 'Fresh Direct' - a far cry from the heat and serve stuff you'd get from a supermarket here.  After supper we headed back to the airport to pick up Max.  It was a rather late night, talking about chocolate and our plans for the chocolate show the next day.

gallery_34671_3594_20135.jpg

Trouble in threes, Max (eG - Max12), me, and Carol (eG - Carol Lang) aka The Three Chocolatiers

Here we are heading out for the chocolate show.  It opened at 11 am, we were in line at 10.  It was just starting to spit outside when they let us in to buy our tickets. 

Carol knew just about everyone at the show - between her chocolate group led by Clay Gordon and her courses at Ecole Chocolate and at Valrhona.  I also ran into a fair number of the people who had been at the Fine Chocolate Industry Association meeting the day before. 

Here are a few pictures from the show - not my best picture taking ever this trip.

gallery_34671_3594_42848.jpg

White chocolate Statue of Liberty at the chocolate show.

gallery_34671_3594_17473.jpg

The Mars display at the chocolate show - it just looked so out of place.  I didn't even go over to get a sample so I could say I'd done it.

gallery_34671_3594_6279.jpg

Art Pollard Amano Chocolate (eG's Art).  I met Art at the Fine Chocolate Industry Association meeting the day before and couldn't wait to get to his booth to try out his chocolate.  We sampled his Madagascar and Ocumare - both fabulous chocolates, rich, complex, smooth - darn tasty.  We bought a couple of bars, then found out that Art was hiding the Guyagua behind the desk - so we bought a bar of that too.  Another fine chocolate.  I've been taking all my bars from friend to friend since I got home so everyone can try them. 

gallery_34671_3594_13680.jpg

Mary's Chocolates from Japan.  They bring the chocolates frozen and vacuum sealed, then decorate them before sale. 

gallery_34671_3594_47720.jpg

Poor photo, but just check out the detail on these babies.

gallery_34671_3594_6158.jpg

Chocolate art on the walls of the Norman Love display. 

gallery_34671_3594_19147.jpg

Cosmic Chocolate

gallery_34671_3594_16909.jpg

A lot of chocolate art at the show.  I can't recall who the vendor was, but it might have been Anna Shea. 

I was stopped at the Mad Mac booth checking out their fabulous macarons, when I head a little voice behind me say "is that you Kerry?".  It was Alan.  I couldn't figure out how he knew what I looked like, but he reminded me that he is one of the few owners of my chocolate tempering DVD. 

gallery_34671_3594_11643.jpg

Alan of Patric Chocolate showing off his wares.  Neither of us noticed the upside down bar until we looked at the pictures. 

We spent a couple of hours at the show, then left to grab a bite of lunch.  Apparently in previous years you could come back in if you left, but no longer.  After all the chocolate samples I was feeling a little nauseated.  We found a burger for lunch - then went off in search of JB Prince.  I expected a store front, so was rather surprized to find myself on an elevator in a non descript building on my way to the 11th floor.  It was darn hot in there, but it didn't stop me from finding a few goodies.  I bought some interesting dipping forks, one of the smaller sphere molds (so now I can struggle to figure out how to use it like everyone else) and a few other odds and ends.  I was admiring a little room full of every pastry and chocolate book ever printed.  A few minutes later I noticed someone had closed the door, which had a private - no entry sign on it.  Oops, glad I didn't actually pull out any of the books.  I also admired the fine collection of tempering equipment and equipment for sous vide. 

The next day we headed into town again to meet Alan and his father for lunch at Otto.  Carol talked 3 ladies on the subway into having lunch there too. 

gallery_34671_3594_9438.jpg

On the way to lunch at Otto, we happened across Babbo.  I was struck by how small it looked. 

gallery_34671_3594_15548.jpg

One of the two Berkel meat slicers at Otto.  A thing of beauty.

Lunch was excellent.  I enjoyed a plate of salumi and a balamic onion and goat cheese pizza, perfect crust, the sweet onions a perfect counterpoint to the creamy goat cheese.  The guinness gelato had a nice bitterness. 

After lunch we headed off to find a few chocolate stores. 

gallery_34671_3594_13984.jpg

Vosges Haut Chocolate uptown or is that downtown?

gallery_34671_3594_21895.jpg

MarieBelle chocolates - I didn't buy any, the packaging was very pretty and artsy, but for some reason they just didn't appeal.

gallery_34671_3594_9811.jpg

Peeking throught the window on the production side of Kee's Chocolates.  She's making pistachio truffles, she takes the amazingly smooth ganache, coats it in a very thin layer of white chocolate and squishes the pistachio bits into it.

There were no creme brulee chocolates when we arrived.  We had to come back the next day.  The store opened at 11, I called about 11:30 to reserve some and there were only 2 left available.  By the time we got there at 3:30 or so she had made another batch. 

Sunday we went out looking for Akvavit, a knock off designer purse for a friends granddaughter and to find Beard Papa's. 

gallery_34671_3594_3965.jpg

Beard Papa - my new love.  I've got to figure out how to make them.

Kerry,

I loved your report on our adventures.

Just one correction. The chocolate art on the wall is Christopher Norman, New York

Carol

Kerry,

I loved your report on our adventures. 

Just one correction.  The chocolate art on the wall is Christopher Norman, New York

Carol

Oops, I'll fix that. Got the Norman anyway.

Kerry the Beard Papa "secret" is they freeze the raw choux puff with a thin layer of either cookie or pie dough around it, then bake from frozen all day and fill to order....damn they are good

chocolate show and queasy....done that...and bumped (literally) into Jaques Torres too. Mmm chocolate and Jaques

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Kerry the Beard Papa "secret" is they freeze the raw choux puff with a thin layer of either cookie or pie dough around it, then bake from frozen all day and fill to order....damn they are good

chocolate show and queasy....done that...and bumped (literally) into Jaques Torres too. Mmm chocolate and Jaques

tracey

I'm wondering if the 'pie crust' part is puff pastry or simple butter pie crust rolled really thin.

I really enjoyed my time in NYC, in no small part because of talking, walking, and of course, eating, with Kerry, Carol and Max, even if the show itself was not necessarily awe inspiring.

I especially enjoyed the trek to Vosges and then Kee's just right around the block. It really made an impact on me that Kee's could be so small and down to earth given the amount of press that she has received, when Vosges, on the other hand, was on the exact opposite side of the spectrum.

Since one of the themes of a couple of our conversations was the issue of growing beyond one's ability to maintain quality in production, it was great to see that not only is there really a way to be successful and still small enough to keep quality amazingly high, but that it isn't just theoretical...Kee seems to be doing it.

Anyway, not to get off topic...

It was a good time, and worth it for the people that I met alone, oh, and for some of the chocolate of course. :wink:

I did a little chocolate show write-up on my blog that ends up morphing into a topic on American micro-producers of chocolate, but it may be of interest to some of you:

http://www.patric-chocolate.com/store/2007...e-show-one.html

Best,

Alan

Edited by A Patric (log)