• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Advice from Food Biz Owners

punkin712

Hi all! I'm a new member to eGullet, but a longtime lurker. I'm planning to open a small bakeshop in NJ in the next few months (my first!) and was hoping to get some advice from my new eGullet friends.

For those of you who own foodservice businesses, how did you go about finding professional service providers such as accountants, architects, contractors, insurance, etc? I got a referral for an architect/design firm from a contractor (that I ended up not using) and have been quite disappointed. The whole experience has been very painful and, although the drawings are finished, I feel like it was a constant struggle. In addition, they repeatedly tried to charge me for things that weren't done properly or for things that should have been part of the process - for example, they tried to charge me $150 for a rough set of drawings that they printed out so we could review them and make any necessary changes prior to submitting final versions for contractor bids. Needless to say, there were ALOT of changes that needed to be made, not the least of which was the name of my business and my contact information!

In addition, the accountant I had lined up decided to sell his firm and retire. I got a referral for an accountant from the branch manager at our bank, but he seemed a little too "in your face" for my liking. At this point, I'm tempted to just go with him because I don't know where else to look. I know that isn't the right thing to do, but I'm starting to panic.

Is there a general pool of names and firms who provide services for food-related businesses? And, what is the best way to determine if it will be a good fit? I'm usually very analytical and tend to research everything as much as possible before making a decision, so this uncertainty is making me a little crazy.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Are you a Metafilter person? I could have sworn I saw this exact question there.

At any rate, it's a bitch to find a reliable accountant/lawyer/anything. We had a different accountant each year until we found one we liked. I've found that the best source for finding reliable people is through word of mouth. More specifically other business owners. That's how we found a great electrician, plumber and accountant.

It takes time to find people. Don't be afraid to ask questions and get references. And if they're not working out don't be afraid to fire them. Don't let your feelings get in the way -- it's only business. Nothing personal.

Are you a Metafilter person? I could have sworn I saw this exact question there.

No - I originally posted this on the Restaurant Life forum. Someone there suggested that I post in the New Jersey forum as well since there might be people here who have local recommendations.

At any rate, it's a bitch to find a reliable accountant/lawyer/anything. We had a different accountant each year until we found one we liked. I've found that the best source for finding reliable people is through word of mouth. More specifically other business owners. That's how we found a great electrician, plumber and accountant.

It takes time to find people. Don't be afraid to ask questions and get references. And if they're not working out don't be afraid to fire them. Don't let your feelings get in the way -- it's only business. Nothing personal.

I've had a hard time getting good referrals. In fact, two of the three referrals I've gotten turned out to be junk. Unfortunately, I hired one and got in too deep with him before I figured that out. Accountants seem to be the hardest thing to come by. Lots of them do personal taxes, but not many want to do all the business-related stuff like W-2s, sales tax, payroll, etc. I was concerned about jumping around if a person didn't work out, so I have been making myself crazy trying to find the perfect person. However, it sounds like it's perfectly acceptable to switch if things aren't working out.

Thanks for your advice!

Punkin, what part of NJ are you in, maybe someone will know local professionals they might recommend?

I'm in Central NJ, very close to Princeton. I'd be willing to work with someone who is located 20-25 miles away, as long as they are reliable, good at what they do and trustworthy.

Edited by punkin712 (log)

Punkin, what part of NJ are you in, maybe someone will know local professionals they might recommend?

I'm in Central NJ, very close to Princeton. I'd be willing to work with someone who is located 20-25 miles away, as long as they are reliable, good at what they do and trustworthy.

I can help you. I own The Frog and The Peach in New Brunswick. Call me at 732-846-3216 x 19. Another resource is the NJ Restaurant Association 800-848-6368.

Elizabeth (Betsy) Alger

The Frog and The Peach

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

I've had a hard time getting good referrals.  In fact, two of the three referrals I've gotten turned out to be junk.  Unfortunately, I hired one and got in too deep with him before I figured that out.  Accountants seem to be the hardest thing to come by.  Lots of them do personal taxes, but not many want to do all the business-related stuff like W-2s, sales tax, payroll, etc.  I was concerned about jumping around if a person didn't work out, so I have been making myself crazy trying to find the perfect person.  However, it sounds like it's perfectly acceptable to switch if things aren't working out.

Thanks for your advice!

Give these guys a serious look. Actually have one of their reps come out and try and "sell" you. Don't think it will be a waste of your time.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

I can help you. I own The Frog and The Peach in New Brunswick. Call me at 732-846-3216 x 19. Another resource is the NJ Restaurant Association 800-848-6368.

Thank you so much! When would be a good time for me to call you?

I've had a hard time getting good referrals.  In fact, two of the three referrals I've gotten turned out to be junk.  Unfortunately, I hired one and got in too deep with him before I figured that out.  Accountants seem to be the hardest thing to come by.  Lots of them do personal taxes, but not many want to do all the business-related stuff like W-2s, sales tax, payroll, etc.  I was concerned about jumping around if a person didn't work out, so I have been making myself crazy trying to find the perfect person.  However, it sounds like it's perfectly acceptable to switch if things aren't working out.

Thanks for your advice!

Give these guys a serious look. Actually have one of their reps come out and try and "sell" you. Don't think it will be a waste of your time.

Thanks! I'll give them a call on Monday.

I contacted Heartland Payment Systems over a week ago to talk to someone about credit card processing and was told a salesman would get back to me within 48 hours. Never heard back from them. Any recommendations for that?

Hey there! I own Picnic in Emerson, and as far as an accountant, I went with a friend from High School, and my bookkeeper is my best friend who does it for free. My attorney is my attorney for personal business, and when I was negotiating leases and sales and all that stuff, he recommended someone in his firm. My opinion? Small business? You don't need a lot of jazz. We get by with an accountant that stops by quarterly to handle sales tax and the like. The bookkeeper pays the bills and lets me know if we're black or red, and what checks to sign. Best to begin small. Use your own resources. Don't waste a lot of cash on stuff. If the business is small, like mine was when I started, you can keep a grip on stuff....

Late morning on Monday would be ideal.... and if I am not at my desk just leave a message with your contact info and I will call you back. Cheers, Betsy

Elizabeth (Betsy) Alger

The Frog and The Peach

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Late morning on Monday would be ideal.... and if I am not at my desk just leave a message with your contact info and I will call you back. Cheers, Betsy

Thanks Betsy! I'll call you then. :biggrin:

Hey there! I own Picnic in Emerson, and as far as an accountant, I went with a friend from High School, and my bookkeeper is my best friend who does it for free. My attorney is my attorney for personal business, and when I was negotiating leases and sales and all that stuff, he recommended someone in his firm. My opinion? Small business? You don't need a lot of jazz. We get by with an accountant that stops by quarterly to handle sales tax and the like. The bookkeeper pays the bills and lets me know if we're black or red, and what checks to sign. Best to begin small. Use your own resources. Don't waste a lot of cash on stuff. If the business is small, like mine was when I started, you can keep a grip on stuff....

I plan to do some things myself, at least in the beginning, but I want to outsource stuff like sales taxes, W-2s, etc. That's the kind of thing I don't want to have come back and bite me.

Now...a question about insurance. I got a quote for Business Insurance that seemed pretty fair, but the Workers' Comp was definitely a shocker. I got the agent to provide rates separately for kitchen and counter employees and it's still unbelievable.

Since we will be baking all our products in house, he told me that we would need to classify the kitchen employees as "Bakery". Sounds reasonable, right? Well, that "Bakery" classification also includes wholesale bakeries and other much bigger operations. It seems odd that my little 2 to 3-person kitchen should be charged the same rates as a much larger wholesale bakery operation. He also told me that since I wasn't going to have table service, the workers in the front of house couldn't be rated as "Restaurant", but would fall into the "Retail" category, which of course is higher than "Restaurant".

I'm not trying to cut corners on the insurance aspect, but I definitely don't want to overpay. Any thoughts?

Workmans comp is something you don't argue. You start at a rate, and then every year, especially after that first year, they will audit you. If you have less employees, they lower the rate. Just pay it and accept it, because insurance is the one thing you can't have too much of. Not only workman's comp, but you want the maximum liability you can get. I spend thousands a year on insurance, for pouring liquor, catering off site, etc, and I sleep far better at night.

Feel free to PM with any questions!

Best of luck!

Christine

Workmans comp is something you don't argue. You start at a rate, and then every year, especially after that first year, they will audit you. If you have less employees, they lower the rate. Just pay it and accept it, because insurance is the one thing you can't have too much of. Not only workman's comp, but you want the maximum liability you can get. I spend thousands a year on insurance, for pouring liquor, catering off site, etc, and I sleep far better at night.

Feel free to PM with any questions!

Best of luck!

Christine

I appreciate your feedback. I agree with you on the insurance - I would rather be covered for something that may never happen than not be covered and go under as the result of a fluke. Never dealing with workers' comp before (as a business owner) I just wasn't sure if there was somehting else I should consider or research before biting the bullet.

Workman's comp is one of the costs of being the boss. It's one of the reasons a cup of coffee costs over a dollar at the gas station.

What ticks me off is the people that pay under the table don't pay it but when one of their employees goes to the emergency room we all pay.

I don't mean to start a debate about undocumented workers but when one person is claiming $300k on his taxes and claims they are the only employee of a hot dog stand somebody should take a serious look at that.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats