• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baked Goods for Consoling:

hummingbirdkiss

I have some very grief stricken folks coming for afternoon coffee tomorrow and want to get up early and bake something really nice for them.. but I am stumped ...

I usually bake a day in advance for things like this and most of my list of regular tried and true recipes taste better the next day ..except cookies and I guess I could make those

what is a lovely comforting ... baked item I could make in the am serve them in the afternoon? I have all kinds of stuff at home and can run to the store early ..

I am going to serve dessert wine and coffee

I am completely brain dead from a long work week and can not come up with a single idea

help?

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Apple crisp could be baked off in the morning, and if you want to serve it warm, gently reheated at service.

Cookies of course, as you say.

Mini tartlets of some sort

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Whenever I need to bake something and I can't figure out what to bake, I always go back to Hershey's Black Magic cake. It tastes great in the afternoon, its keeps for days, its dead simple to make, It can be made in a bundt or 9 x 13) and it can be served frosted, or plain with whipped cream. I've never met anyone who doesnt like it( I always add chocolate chips to it too)

Apple and pear crisp laced with saigon cinnamon served with creme chantilly - it's comforting and seasonal and delicious.

Sorry you have to bake for such a sad evdent.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

you guys are so awesome ...these ideas are just what I needed ....this was sudden and so sad a very good friend of mine's father passed ...and we are an emuslified family of people who were far from family when our kids were growing up .....shared holidays ect ...and I love him dearly and will miss him forever ..such a lovable germudgin this man was......

we need to gather ourselves for a moment to honor him ...with out it being the memorial

they are German so I am loving the idea of streudel Rob thanks for that I have puff pastry in the freezer and a treeload of apples maybe ...I will do an antipasto type tray of savory things and then a chocolate cake and a strudel... there are so many good ideas they were just not coming to me at all ...

I feel very sad right now

thank you again and feel free to keep them coming I can review this after work and plan better later

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

Financier= Tea cake made with butter, sugar, flour, egg whites and ground almonds. Traditionally made in rectangular molds. There's a good picture here:

http://www.cakechef.info/special/chef_yosh...ette/index.html

those look/sound so good I have never heard that word before thanks I have to see if I can find a recipe!

Piglet 

filo or puff pastry for the strudel???

what do you think is better?? I have both!

I am going to use the marinated fruits for my black cakes in the filling with the apples I hope that works ..it seems right

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

Your question made me re-think my comment above because I've made it with both, and when I did a google search I found both equally used. I'm not sure which is more traditional, but it probably depends on what texture you're going for then.

Eileen said saigon cinnamon , be still my heart!!

My idea is to make fruit bread in any of those wonderful new molds. Like I have a rose mold that makes six extra large muffin size roses. But then it can still be sliced like fruit bread. I loved the mold so much I got one for each of the kids...and borrowed them back. :biggrin: In the tea-room I called these 'rose & cream' where I had a tangy cream cheese spread ready to go with it. And on the menu recommended them to be taken 'to go' to give to a friend.

Since you are making so many dishes, I think I'd recommend you use the puff pastry. Just that little bit less prep time so you can concentrate on the other items. But I can so picture you enjoying the ministry of patiently peeling the leaves of filo and buttering and layering them one by one...I'm no help. Either way will make a wonderful streudel with your lovely fruit.

So sorry about your loss, HBK.

Many blessings on you and the family and all.

(((((hug)))))

thanks for consoling me you guys are a tremendous help

first I am going to emmaculatize my house then make a perfect somethinng with all these ideas

it will be fine I am sure

I need a valium however

I believe it is going to be 15 people now

Piglet 

thanks for consoling me you guys are a tremendous help

first I am going to emmaculatize my house then make a perfect somethinng with all these ideas

it will be fine I am sure

I need a valium however

I believe it is going to be 15 people now

The fact that you had your friends over is probably the most consoling thing you could offer right now. I lost my father this summer, and have been so touched by my friends and

extended family members who took the time to come over, invite me to their homes, share a

glass (okay, MANY glasses) of wine and tissues. You're a very very good friend.

What did I want to eat during the worst time(s)? Really basic comforting things that took me

back to my childhood, and foods that my father and I both loved. It made me feel a little more connected to him.

I'm certain they were very comforted by your generosity.

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

Do you have any idea what the deceased person's favorite dessert was? If so, you may want to think about making it in his honor. But it also might be a bit too soon for that.

Condolences. I'm having a first-year anniversary month for three deaths (two family, one co-worker) and I have a fairly fresh understanding of how difficult it is.

HBK, Nick Malgieri has a terrific hazelnut brown butter financier in his cakes book. I can email it to you later.

It's probably too much trouble for you right now. You have to peel hazelnuts.

I think simple apple desserts are a good idea. The last time I was grief stricken, I remember pulling food back out of my mouth, I couldn't stand much more than scrambled eggs and English muffins.

I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope that your friends will be comforted by your efforts.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.