• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is salted threadfish?

Ce'nedra

Those threadfin salmon looked very different from "ma yau" that TP showed in her picture.

Hi Ah Leung, if you are referring to the photos posted by Prasantrin earlier today, that fish is not a threadfin (Eleutheronema Tetradactylum). Its most likely to be a species of mackerel, although not Spanish mackerel (Scomberomorus Commerson) since it doesn't appear to have those tell-tale bands on its back. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that the shape of its tail is highly suggestive of grey mackerel (Scomberomorus Semifasciatus). Threadfin (aka tsuba-mekonoshiro in Japanese) have a more rounded body and 4-5 dinstinguishing filaments just below its pectoral fins. See picture below.

Mackerel have no scales, very few bones and are highly-prized at the dinner table. In many parts of South East Asia, mackerel, particularly, Spanish mackerel is the preferred choice for fish congee. And in Japan, mackerel appear on the menu as Sawara (Scomberomorus Niphonius) and Saba (Scomber Japonicus). Thanks Ah Leung for the heads-up on posting pix.

gallery_42868_5292_1050928.jpg

Those threadfin salmon looked very different from "ma yau" that TP showed in her picture.

Hi Ah Leung, if you are referring to the photos posted by Prasantrin earlier today, that fish is not a threadfin (Eleutheronema Tetradactylum).  Its most likely to be a species of mackerel, although not Spanish mackerel (Scomberomorus Commerson) since it doesn't appear to have those tell-tale bands on its back. 

I think he was referring to your pictures, since it was you that he quoted directly. But your fish does look more like the threadfin fish I've seen pictures of. Mine has a pointier snout than the threadfin I've seen.

If anyone wants to do further research, threadfin is also called "ikan kurau" in Malay, and "koduva meen" in Tamil.

And to Ce'nedra, as mentioned earlier, any salted fish will probably be fine for your recipe. I hope you show us pictures of it after you make it. My food mantra #2 is "anything with salted fish is good!" (#1 is "anything fried is good!)

Edited by prasantrin (log)

My food mantra #2 is "anything with salted fish is good!" (#1 is "anything fried is good!)

Hear, hear!

Third food mantra is PORK is good. :biggrin:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos