• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

turkey stuffing

prairiegirl

CHESTNUT STUFFING

Yield: 20 servings

Ingredient Amount

Onions, minced 2 lb.

Celery, small dice 1 lb.

Rendered turkey or bacon fat,

or butter 8 oz.

Sausage, bulk breakfast 1 ½ lb.

Bread, day old, medium dice 3 lb.

Chicken stock (adjust as necessary) 1-2 qt.

Eggs, beaten 3 ea.

Parsley, chopped ½ Cup

Salt and black pepper as needed

Sage, fresh, chopped ¼ Cup

Chestnuts, peeled, roasted, chopped

into large pieces 1 lb.

Method

1. Sauté the onions, celery and sausage in fat until tender. Break up the sausage pieces as it cooks. Reserve.

2. Combine the bread cubes, chicken stock, and egg and add to the onion/celery/sausage mixture.

3. Add the parsley, salt, pepper, sage and chestnuts. Mix them all well.

4. Place the stuffing in a buttered hotel pan and cover it with aluminum foil. Bake the stuffing at 350°F for 45 minutes.

Courtesy of CIA

Edited by WiscoNole (log)

This is the Pensylvania Dutch "potato filling" I grew up with. We are all obsessed with it, as is anyone who has ever visited our house at the holidays and eaten it. Decades go by, and people will mention the stuffing they had at our house when they were kids. It's utter simplicity. Clearly, there is no need to serve mashed potatoes when you make this.

Potato Filling

5 lb Idaho potatoes, as fresh as you can find

2 lb white bread, partly dry, crusts removed and diced medium

1 bunch celery, outer stalks only (about 6) diced small

1 - 1 1/2 large onions, diced medium

1 lb or more butter

2 T or more dried thyme

salt and white pepper

milk

Saute bread cubes in butter in large pan in single layer under they are golden and slightly crisp; you will need to do this in batches, using about a stick of butter at a time. Set aside. Boil and mash the potatoes in salted water with a hand masher or ricer. Fold in the bread, then blend in the onion, celery, salt, pepper,and thyme to taste; be generous with the thyme, but not overpowering. Use a wooden spoon, and thin with a little milk to achieve a medium-heavy (it will actually be fluffy on cooking) but not dry mixture. Spread into buttered gratin or other shallow baking dishes; smooth the tops and dot generously butter. Cover with foil; Bake at 350 for 15 minutes; remove the foil and bake another 20-30 minutes or until the center is hot and the filling is lightly browned, slightly puffy and "heaving." Do not overcook.

Cornbread Dressing

All amounts are approximate and according to taste.

Make a pan of cornbread, using whatever recipe or mix you desire. If you're needing a LOT, make 2 pans.

While that's baking, brown 1/2 to one pound of pork sausage well, breaking up any chunks.

Saute a large onion, a couple stalks of celery and a couple garlic cloves (all finely chopped) in a stick of butter. You don't really want much color on the vegetables, but they should be cooked all the way through.

Crumble the cornbread and combine it with approx. the same amount of crumbled white bread. Don't use wheat bread. Add the sausage and vegetables. Season aggresively with salt, black pepper, cayenne, thyme and poultry seasoning. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add chopped pecans if you desire, I don't really like them in here, but some do. Combine well, and add enough turkey stock (or chicken) to make the mixture as moist as you like it. (Some like it pretty soupy, I like it stiffer because I like it to get crunchy on top in the oven, them pour gravy on it on my plate). Dump it into a pretty baking dish and bake it about 30-45 min.

Edited by Dana (log)

Stop Family Violence

I read a post and now I can't find it! It was about turkey stuffing that is baked and not put in the turkey.  Does anyone know where it is?  Does anyone have a good turkey stuffing recipe that you are willing to share?

There are probably well over a hundred recipes for turkey stuffing here on eG, and several threads devoted to turkey & dressing/stuffing. Do you recall anything at all about the recipe, like the main ingredients? Sausage? Cornbread? Oysters? Rice? Anything? That'd make it easier to find.

But also, you can bake most any "stuffing" in a pan rather than in the turkey, although some recipes will caution you to add more moisture (like broth or wine or something) and fat (like schmaltz or butter) if you're not going to be baking it in a turkey.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Cornbread Dressing

All amounts are approximate and according to taste.

Make a pan of cornbread, using whatever recipe or mix you desire. If you're needing a LOT, make 2 pans.

While that's baking, brown 1/2 to one pound of pork sausage well, breaking up any chunks.

Saute a large onion, a couple stalks of celery and a couple garlic cloves (all finely chopped) in a stick of butter. You don't really want much color on the vegetables, but they should be cooked all the way through.

Crumble the cornbread and combine it with approx. the same amount of crumbled white bread. Don't use wheat bread. Add the sausage and vegetables. Season aggresively with salt, black pepper, cayenne, thyme and poultry seasoning. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add chopped pecans if you desire, I don't really like them in here, but some do. Combine well, and add enough turkey stock (or chicken) to make the mixture as moist as you like it. (Some like it pretty soupy, I like it stiffer because I like it to get crunchy on top in the oven, them pour gravy on it on my plate). Dump it into a pretty baking dish and bake it about 30-45 min.

I would add, bake the cornbread the day before and leave it out to stale. Stale cornbread makes a better stuffing. Biscuits make a great sub for the white bread. Stale, of course. Freezing and defrosting accomplishes this.

Never leave stuffing or dressing out. Not safe.

Good point Anne, about the staleness of the cornbread. The white bread should be stale, too. Additionally, it freezes well (freeze before baking). I usually make and freeze a week or so before the big day. It's one less thing to do.

Stop Family Violence