• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes using Tofu Puffs?

SheenaGreena

I bought them at my local asian grocer and have no idea what to do with them. I'm looking for a great recipe thats vegetarian or uses pork, since pork is the only meat I have on hand (nothing wrong with that, right? :raz: ).

thanks in advance

*ahem* something along the lines of the fried tofu puff dish in post number 6 here

:biggrin:

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Sheena,

Ah Leung has a pictorial on tofu puffs with minced fish:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=74885

As you mentioned you only had pork on hand, you could mince the pork with some waterchestnuts, green onion, seasonings, a little oil, cornstarch to bind, then stuff the tofu puffs. Pan fry according to Ah Leung's pcitorial.

Or, I like to add the puffs to a sandpot recipe (chicken, mushrooms, etc) so it can soak up the juice and flavours. :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I bought them at my local asian grocer and have no idea what to do with them.    I'm looking for a great recipe thats vegetarian or uses pork, since pork is the only meat I have on hand (nothing wrong with that, right?  :raz: ). 

*ahem*  something along the lines of the fried tofu puff dish in post number 6 here

Well, it is only bound by your imaginations. Tofu puffs can be used in many recipes that use tofu. Tofu puffs are the fried "skin" of tofu.

In Cantonese home cooking, tofu puffs are used in steamed fish (with fermented black beans and ginger) and vegetarian stir-fries (e.g. with napa cabbage, mung bean threads, black mushrooms, dried lily buds, cloud-ear fungi, etc.)

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I also use fried tofu puffs in hot pots. It's great in soups, noodle soups, and stews. Just throw them in and let them soak up all the flavor. My grandmother would say, the more you boil or cook them the fluffier they would get.

There was a fish dish that my dad used to make. I almost forgot about it since I haven't had it in years. It was a fried fish, then simmered in a brown bean sauce with tofu puffs, scallions, and I think preserved cucumbers. My favorite part was the tofu puffs--the sauce would squirt in my mouth when I bit into them. I'll have to call Mom now and see if she remembers the recipe.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

XiaoLing, I love the tofu puffs in hotpots too, I love how it soaks up all the broth and when you bite into it, all the juice just squirts out, so flavorful!

It reminds me of an old movie, that I just watched again a few days ago. The god of cooking with Stephen Chow. They were making Lai Liu Beef meatballs (Peeing beef meatballs). When you bite into it, the essence of the shrimp will squirt out. I don't know the real name of the shrimp....Lai Liu Ha?