• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reports on Hong Kong dining

Sinbad

Can you not get Vitasoy in the US? My dad used to buy it a lot when we were younger. I never liked it much, but I should probably give it another try.

Me too Rona, not keen on it, but the kids LOVE it, guess it's like vegemite, you have to start young :smile:

Yes.  In Chinese they call it "Goh Tang" (High Broth).  High means "superior".  Just a beautified name.
Ah Leung, I thought it was "seurng tong"?

上湯

You are right... You are right... they do use the world "sheung tong" here in Hong Kong. "Goh Tong" is more used in recipes in books. Anyway... superior broth. There is broth (very concentrated) in the center of the shrimp balls. The Macanese style fried shrimp balls I had in Yuen Long used cheese. This Cantonese style shrimp balls used concentrated broth.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Can you not get Vitasoy in the US?  My dad used to buy it a lot when we were younger.  I never liked it much, but I should probably give it another try.

That is true... they do carry Vitasoy in many of the Asian markets in the USA. I just haven't bought them for a long time.

gallery_19795_5435_38843.jpg

:wub: Those look perfect! How did they taste? Did they have a good filling to dough ratio? I get really disappointed when there's barely any filling in my hum sui gok.

They tasted pretty good. Though I had even better ones in some other restaurants. The filling is just a very small portion of minced pork and some finely diced black mushrooms and seasonings. The dough is quite thin and chewy.

where is the under the bridge crab place?

3 locations, all close to each other. The bigger ones are at 405 and 429 Lockhart, and there's a tiny additional one around the corner (this is the one that's 'under the bridge', and recommended if you want the full experience, it's only got about 6 tables) on Canal St. Tel 2893 1289.

Yeah... we went there early (around 6:30 pm). We were gonna sit at the "original" shop that has 6 tables with white (plastic?) table cloths - while nobody was in it. Then a guy took us to the restaurant at the corner - like 20 feet away. He said they are all of the same ownership. They only seat people in the old restaurant when the new one is full. We were kind of worried... we just didn't want to go to imatators. Later on we found out that they cook the spicy crabs in the old restaurant's kitchen and then bring the crab dishes to the new restaurant's dinning room. Kind of odd and funny, seeing plates of spicy (all that garlic) crabs being carried on the street.

The other dishes are quite reasonably priced (around HKD50-60 or so), which is US$7-9. Only the spicy crabs are very expensive. Well... you buy in to the brand name...

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Wah! That jook is really loaded! And all that garlic! You certainly didn't get shortchanged.

The fried garlic is quite tasty. But very, very salty. The next time we eat there, we will ask them to skip the salt so we can finish eating the whole plate of fried garlic. You may want to do the same.

Bacalhou (or bacalau) is the Portuguese name for salt cod; it's also the name of a Portuguese dish made from salt cod and potatoes -- the Macanese dish undoubtedly is a version of the Portuguese dish.

Yeah... thanks Suzy. I learned that later on too. They (Macanese style food) also use bacalhou in other dishes, such as fried potato balls. Very interesting.

Wah! That jook is really loaded! And all that garlic! You certainly didn't get shortchanged.

The fried garlic is quite tasty. But very, very salty. The next time we eat there, we will ask them to skip the salt so we can finish eating the whole plate of fried garlic. You may want to do the same.

The best way to enjoy all that fried garlic is to order a bowl of plain jook then use the garlic/chillies to flavour it. But even then, I've never been able to finish all of it - it's just too much. We sometimes box up the garlic and take it home and eat it with rice. I think it contains MSG because I'm always desparately thirsty after eating those crabs.

The other major crab "chain" (is four or five branches a chain?) in that area of Wan Chai is Hee Kee. There are about 15 crab restaurants all very close to each other.

The best way to enjoy all that fried garlic is to order a bowl of plain jook then use the garlic/chillies to flavour it. But even then, I've never been able to finish all of it - it's just too much. We sometimes box up the garlic and take it home and eat it with rice. I think it contains MSG because I'm always desparately thirsty after eating those crabs.

That is very true! I drank 3 bottles of water that night after eating the crab dish! Kept feeling very thirsty.

Day 12 Teaser Pictures:

gallery_19795_5442_21579.jpg

Lunch was at a "cha chun tan" (Hong Kong style tea restaurant) in the nearby Tsim Sha Tsui area (Hankow Road). This restaurant's name is "Canton BBQ Restaurant" in Chinese. We passed by, not knowing the restaurant, but saw that they seemed to have very good Cantonese BBQ items and with some kind of publicity newspaper mentioning so we decided to give it a try. Their Cantonese BBQ items are indeed very good. I do recommend it if you are in the TST area. The price is very reasonable. e.g. A plate of Cantonese roast pork is only HKD40 (~US$5).

This is Hong Kong style iced coffee. I truly enjoy the taste of the Hong Kong style coffee. More so than Starbucks - which is around every corner in Hong Kong/Macao too by the way.

gallery_19795_5442_44109.jpg

Cantonese roast pork. We asked for extra lean ones. The taste is really good.

gallery_19795_5442_45398.jpg

"Gon Chow Ngau Ho" (Dried style beef and fried rice noodles). This one is good, though not the best. I should have stayed with Cantonese BBQ items - specialty of this restaurant. Perhaps something like BBQ pork with "lei fun" in soup would be better.

gallery_19795_5442_21599.jpg

I can't resist opportunities to snack. I bought some "baos" just from some stores at the Star Ferry terminal on the way to Central. This one is baked flakery pastry with ham and tuna fish filling.

gallery_19795_5442_7956.jpg

Hong Kong style egg sandwich! This one was made with a slice of luncheon meat, bought at the ferry terminal on the way to Cheung Chau Island.

gallery_19795_5442_34213.jpg

After a day of walking around Cheung Chau Island and the excitement of crawling through the Cheung Po Tsai Cave in total darkness, time to relax and have dinner near the pier. We didn't know any better of which restaurant to pick... we just ate at the first restaurant to the left of the ferry pier. They seemed reasonable and had many patrons.

We took their "packaged" dinner, which was reasonably priced at HKD188 for 4 seafood items, plus house soup and one additional stir-fried vegetables of our choice. My advice is: The seafood in these packaged dinner entrees is very small and the quality is not as good. Price is great but quality suffers a bit. If you want to real good experience, you can pick your own live seafood at the store next to the restaurant than have the restaurant cook it for you. The owner said they will charge HKD30 a dish for cooking. You pay for whatever seafood you buy. That way you can ensure of the ingredient's quality and size.

This dish was manis shrimp, fried with salt and pepper. Very tasty! But manis shrimp does not have a lot of meat inside.

gallery_19795_5442_52919.jpg

Clams stir-fried in black bean sauce.

gallery_19795_5442_6275.jpg

Baby scallops in shells, steamed in black bean sauce with a bit of rice vermicelli and green onions. Very good too.

Folks: Today is Saturday in Hong Kong. We are going to a second hike in Tai Mo Shan, going to Tai Po.

I will be offline for a couple of days, and be back on Monday to post more pictures.

"sigh"....everything look so delicious!

Someone mentioned roast goose - any success in that? I want to see a "goose lollipop". Don't know what else to call it, but it was a drumstick with goose gut wrapped around it. These are vague memories from when I was a child in HK.

That hom sui gok had mje nearly licking the monitor!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Lunch was at a "cha chun tan" (Hong Kong style tea restaurant) in the nearby Tsim Sha Tsui area (Hankow Road).  This restaurant's name is "Canton BBQ Restaurant" in Chinese.  We passed by, not knowing the restaurant, but saw that they seemed to have very good Cantonese BBQ items and with some kind of publicity newspaper mentioning so we decided to give it a try.  Their Cantonese BBQ items are indeed very good.  I do recommend it if you are in the TST area.  The price is very reasonable.  e.g.  A plate of Cantonese roast pork is only HKD40 (~US$5).

The place is called 'Guangdong Barbecue' in English, and - unusually for a roast meat shop - has an English sign and menu. It's a well-known local chain, and the one you were in is our local roast meat shop. They have another location in the Whampoa Gourmet mall in Hung Hom. Their char siu and roast goose are excellent but I don't go there for much else. 43 Hankow Road.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Hi

I'n new to the board, and I have eaten at the Guangdong Barbeque Restaurant a number of times - mainly because they are across the road from my Tailor - It is a great local 'chop' house that sadly are all too rare in London - their chau siu is excellent, I also really like their beef chow mein ) super crispy ) and hongsiu dao fu - I have pictures that I will upload into my album and post sortly - but I don't want to post photos in this thread in case it upsets people/ or is bad form....

William

I have pictures that I will upload into my album and post sortly - but I don't want to post photos in this thread in case it upsets people/ or is bad form....

William

Why would your posting delicious food pictures in this thread be considered bad form or upset people? :unsure:

If you upload to imageGullet, we would love to have direct access here.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

gallery_57445_5410_56243.jpg

Hongsiu Daofu at Guangdong Barbeque Restaurant

WHOA! That was fast! and delicious! :laugh:

I assume those are the deep fried tofu stuffed with ground meat/shrimp mixture then braised?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

If Ah Leung wants a recommendation and he likes szechuan/sichuan food, I can fully recommend Red Pepper Restaurant 7 Lan Fong Rd Causeway Bay, Hong Kong Phone: 852/2577 3811

I love this restaurant - the sizzling prawns are ordered by everyone!!

gallery_57445_5410_51308.jpg

gallery_57445_5410_72977.jpg

The kumquat beef is heaven on earth

gallery_57445_5410_7044.jpg

as are the aubergines in hot garlic sauce

gallery_57445_5410_31468.jpg

If Ah Leung wants a recommendation and he likes szechuan/sichuan food, I can fully recommend Red Pepper Restaurant 7 Lan Fong Rd Causeway Bay, Hong Kong Phone: 852/2577 3811

Red Pepper is still good, but the menu is from 30 years ago (which is not necessarily a bad thing!) and the dishes are seasoned to suit more Cantonese or gweilo palates.

For a more authentic mainland-style Sichuan experience that's also cheaper than Red Pepper, I'd recommend Man Jiang Hong in Causeway Bay. 1/f Thai Kong Building, 482 Hennessy Rd. The entrance is around the corner, not on Hennessy; look for the hostess at the little booth with the chili peppers on it. Tel: 2838-8811.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.