• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to eat, where to eat, what to cook?

jgm

The NY Times has an article on people who are making lists of things they want to do before they die. When I started making my own list, I found most of the things on it were culinary. (surprise, surprise...) Although this is similar to our New Year's Culinary Resolutions thread, for me it includes some things that will not go on a yearly list for awhile.

I want to learn to cook without recipes. Getting closer, but not there. Especially, I want to be better at looking in the fridge and using things up.

I want to eat dim sum. We have a couple of local restaurants that serve it; I've just never gotten around to it.

I want to eat at Alinea, or at least at another restaurant that has a similar menu.

I want to grow most of my own vegetables, including lettuce and herbs.

I want to develop awesome knife skills, and learn to sharpen my own knives well.

I want to take a European vacation and eat at a multi-star restaurant in France, or maybe even at El Bulli.

OK, there's the beginning of my list. What's on yours?