• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Dessert Bowls

prairiegirl

I have a customer that wants to put their corporate gift...chocolates...in a chocolate bowl. They need an example and specs so they can present to management. I am trying to source moulds for chocolate bowls and can't find anyone who carries them. chocolate Arts in Vancouver sells chocolate bowls filled with pralines but I can't find a mould. Does anyone know who carries chocolate bowl moulds that would fit up to 25 chocolates?

Another option is to use plastic bowls from Ikea etc., and I might go to a local plastics company and see if they could vacuum mold some bowl shapes. My first choice is to source a professional mould.

another option is to mould my own with the smooth-on sil940. But, would that hold up making 25 bowls?

I have  a customer that wants to put their corporate gift...chocolates...in a chocolate bowl.  They need an example and specs so they can present to management.  I am trying to source moulds for chocolate bowls and can't find anyone who carries them.  chocolate Arts in Vancouver sells chocolate bowls filled with pralines but I can't find a mould. Does anyone know who carries chocolate bowl moulds that would fit up to 25 chocolates?

Another option is to use plastic bowls from Ikea etc., and I might go to a local plastics company and see if they could vacuum mold some bowl shapes.  My first choice is to source a professional mould.

another option is to mould my own with the smooth-on sil940.  But, would that hold up making 25 bowls?

Have you tried Tomric at www.tomric.com? If they don't already have a polycarbonate mold, they can make one to your specifications. I don't know what the lead time is for a custom mold.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

i don't know how big you want them to be but we made a bowl of cherries dessert using silicon molds from demarle. However it was very labor intensive because we had to paint 3 coats to keep them from breaking when we popped them out of the molds. I think you would be better off with a polycarbonate mold, but i'm not a chocolatier.

also, you might try Peterson Company here in Seattle. Even though they are primarily a food supplier, they seem to have access to resources along those lines.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

Is this bowl flat on the bottom or just half a big sphere? Chocolat-chocolat has big sphere molds, but they also have a couple of great box molds that might work for you. One is a big cocoa pod and the other a great big present box. Cost is around $25 each.