• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commission? HELP

mollybloom1109

OK, I was first hired on at a hourly/salary of approx. 30K as the assistant mgr of a small cafe/bakery. A new Operations guy started for the whole company and eliminated my position in may (I started in March). In the meantime the general manager quit and I stepped into her shoes--schedules, ordering, etc. Then the Catering manager quit and I filled in there....

Friday I am called into a meeting and told that my position is now commission only--and only on cheese, gourmet groceries and bagged coffee sales. I went back to the numbers for Dec 06. (Dec. being the highest sales wise in these areas). My commission for that month would have been $1,200. Overall sales in these depts currently is approx $200 per day. That is $20 A DAY...and I drive 30 miles ONE WAY to this place. To even get close to a wage I could live on I would have to do $20,000 per month in sales. Not to mention that we have been unable to get in some product I have ordered due to non payment of past invoices. Any ideas???? :sad:

It sounds like you are being forced out in a way that would keep them from having to pay unemployment funds. As in the clever wording in most states laws if you "quit" you are not entitled to unemployment.

In IL you could quit such an arangement ans still collect as they have rules that cover downgrades in pay. You also may want to check into the Min. wage laws of your state. They my have to make up the differance between your commision and Federal Min. For this reason a lot of busineses do not opt for such an arrangement. I would start to look into wrongful discharge laws in your state.

Living hard will take its toll...

Slime and lowlife they are. Tell them you'll just keep your asst. mgr. post at the old rate and if they are not happy - they can let you go. After all, you want them to be happy - don't you?

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Slime and lowlife they are.  Tell them you'll just keep your asst. mgr. post at the old rate and if they are not happy - they can let you go.  After all, you want them to be happy - don't you?

Jmahl

I was first hired on at a hourly/salary of approx. 30K as the assistant mgr of a small cafe/bakery. A new Operations guy started for the whole company and eliminated my position in may (I started in March).

No job for her to return to. She is being forced out.

Living hard will take its toll...

Quit and then apply for unemployment. They'll fight it and you will get the opportunity to embarrass them at a hearing, explaining how they made your working situation untenable on a non-living wage. Bring up how they'll have to make up the difference between your earnings and minimum wage. Add how they've made it impossible for you to do the jobs you've taken upon yourself due to the non-payment of invoices. They'll either settle before a hearing takes place or you'll win and qualify for unemployment to tide you over while you look for an employer that really appreciates you.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol