• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Mac: Inside the McDonald's Empire

jsmeeker

Did anyone watch this documentary on McDonalds? If you haven't seen it yet, there is still time. CNBC will be showing it a few more times. Check your listings. :)

I'm in the middle of it right now. So far, largely a positive profile. It's not really an attack thing like Super Size Me. Just a history of the company, a profile on an owner operator and how successful they can be, etc. right now, the segment is about the FOOD and new menu items..

When I finish, I'll be back to post more comments.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 4 weeks later...
Sounds interesting... so it's not bashing McDonalds?

overall, no. It was a profile of the company.

Sure, there were people they interviewed that talked about if the food was healthy or not and if they targeted the restaurtant at kids too much.. But other than that, it was not a real slam. As previously mentioned, not at all like Super Size Me.

Some of the interestign bits was the segment about it's expansion into China. China certainly is not unfamilair with American fast food, but McDonalds is a newcomer. They opened a store with what they said was the FIRST drive thru ever in China. It was somewhat comical. They had to instruct people how to use it. People would go in the wrong way or would drive through, get their food, park, and go inside the restaurant to eat. :biggrin:

The segment about a Mac Cafe in Montreal was also interesting. It actually looked pretty good. Not even sure if they have those here in the USA.

There was a good bit about the actual food, mainly the testing and research they do to develop a new product. They showed the test kitchen at corporate HQ. real chefs doing what sure looks like real cooking in a real kitchen. As the product moves along, they have taste tastes to ensure that all the suppliers they use can all match the same target flavor profile. For example, a suace or spice mixture used on a sandwich. They get sent to tasters to see if burgers made with stuff from different supliers all taste the same. They have always been known for wanting a conistent product from store to store no matter where you get it.

Anyway, the show is worth a watch. A portion of the show actually "inspired" me to actually explore the McDonalds menu a bit more. I never gave it any thought previously, but after watching the show, I realized I have NEVER had anything from the menu that wasn't a burger (and fries and drinks) (Outside breakfast).

So, I have begun a "mission" to work through the menu and eat things I've never had from them before. Salads, chicken sandwiches, snack wrappers, etc. I'll also try burgers I have not had before (limited stuff there, but there are a few things). I may even take a stab at breakfast a few times. I keep hearing the reports about their new and improved coffee.

A nutritionist once told me that one of the healthiest fast food items is the Big Mac. And since then I keep hearing it repeated. Is this something they teach in school or is it reality?

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

A nutritionist once told me that one of the healthiest fast food items is the Big Mac. And since then I keep hearing it repeated. Is this something they teach in school or is it reality?

have no clue. I'm no nutritionist. But they do print nutrition information on the back of the tray liner and it's also obtainable via their website.