• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

frozen tamarind and passion fruit pulp

hummingbirdkiss

I have just unearthed some frozen tamarind and frozen passion fruit pulps and would love to make a nice sweet/sour/hot and sticky slow cooked BBQ rib plan!

my ribs are on the counter thawing :smile:

I have a garden full of herbs

a cabinet full of spices..

garlic habaneros ...ginger...

I have about anything I could need otherwise I believe including wood chunks to smoke them if need be

they are St Louis ribs...

..except it seems the brain cells to put it all together to make what I really want!

anyone have any wonderful ideas for me?

thanks so much in advance :wub:

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I cannot BELIEVE there's been dead silence on this topic for going on 10 hours now!

I don't have any wonderful ideas. I'm new to barbeque sauces, new to smoking, and only have about 3 (delightful) uses for tamarind. But heck - we can't let this idea sit, now, can we? Here - I'll start, and someone else can come up with a better idea.

Sweat some garlic and chilies in oil until they're soft. Set that aside. Mix the (I'm sure it's thawed now) tamarind and passion fruit. I'd go for twice as much tamarind as passion fruit, because I like the tart end of the spectrum, but that's a personal preference. Cook that mixture down - maybe you want to add some white wine, or vinegar, for flavor adjustments? - until it's fairly well concentrated, then add in the garlic and chili mixture. Adjust the seasonings with, oh, some ginger for heat and some salt for balance and, erm, coriander (seed, not the leaves) and pepper (I'm fond of white) until you get a balance you like.

Puree the whole shebang until it's smooth.

Use it to baste your ribs. I'm too new to smoking to give much advice. My procedure so far involves slow (225F) until done (hours) with occasional basting. Make sure the final baste is done when the meat is starting to get tender but not quite done yet, so the basted sauce has "set". Alternatively, you can take the oven route: set the ribs in a sturdy baking dish, set them at 225F for a few hours, then pour off the fat and add the sauce. Cover and continue baking until tender. This is our usual home non-smoking technique for ribs, and we've been pretty happy with it.

I thought by now someone who knew what they were about would come up with something for you. This is, essentially, the tone-deaf leading the orchestra. How does it sound (hee) to you?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thank you Smithy for your response and the ideas sound fantastic to me!.. I can always use help and .

really appreciate it!

I was wondering if my request was off the wall when no one answered...

so I just winged it and I have to say with a Hell of a lot of pride in my own acheivement

the sauce I made today is probably the best BBQ sauce I have ever made in my entire life ...and I am so happy I took notes while I did it!!!

if anyone is interested I will be happy to post it ..in the mean time

here is how they looked!

and they are sweet sticky hot and tangy ...perfectly cooked both chicken and ribs ...

exactly what I had in mind..I had a few brain cells left after all I guess

gallery_51681_4569_34333.jpg

gallery_51681_4569_23537.jpg

Piglet 

Thank you Smithy for your response and the ideas sound fantastic to me!.. I can always use help and .

really appreciate it!

I was wondering if my request was off the wall when no one answered...

so I just winged it and I have to say with a Hell of a lot of pride in my own acheivement

the sauce I made today is probably the best BBQ sauce I have ever made in my entire life ...and I am so happy I took notes while I did it!!!

if anyone is interested I will be happy to post it ..in the mean time

here is how they looked!

and they are sweet sticky hot and tangy ...perfectly cooked both chicken and ribs ...

exactly what I had in mind..I had a few brain cells left after all I guess

gallery_51681_4569_34333.jpg

gallery_51681_4569_23537.jpg

Please post the recipe, it looks amazing.

here you go!

please tell me how you like it!

This is not exact ...taste while you are cooking to get all balance right for you and yours ..I like mine blistering hot so I add more Habaneros that I say here......this recipe is "medium hot"

dump into a heavy pot the following

3 bottles of chile sauce (like Heinz or whatever) if not use Ketchup!

1 cup frozen Goya brand tamarind puree or if you can not find it tamarind paste diiluted so you can pour it easily

1 cup frozen Goya brand Passion fruit puree (make sure you use the tamarind it really makes this great! but I think that you could use frozen concentrated passion fruit juice ...actually any type of frozen concentrated juice ..but the passion puree carried through this sauce and really gave it that tart tropical edge!!!)

juice of 6 Key limes (or regular limes maybe 3?)

2-3 cup if dark brown sugar

1/4 cup corn syrup

2 shots of dark rum

in a food processor with a chopping blade mince up together the following until a puree

2 X 1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger (a good chunk of it ..I dont peel it just scrub it and trim off anything ugly)

6 cloves garlic

big sprig of time

1 large sweet onion cut into four pieces

3 fresh tomatoes

3 habenero peppers

3 tble New Mexican red chile powder

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp coriander

1 tsp allspice (I used whole spices toast and grind them but you can use powdered I bet it will not matter in this)

1 small can of chipotle peppers in adobo

while the food processor is going add 1 cup of vegetable oil

take that paste out of the processor and put into a pot on the stove ..while stirring everything together bring to a hard boil for five minutes

turn to med high and stir every few min for about another 10-15 to make a fairly thick sauce taste to see if you want salt in there ..I put a couple of tsp of Kosher but not sure if it needed it

cool I ran mine through a strainer but I dont think you have to there was nothing left in the strainer!

I came out with three full pints of sauce when I was done

I smoked good the chicken and ribs after brining them for about 20-30 min ..drying them off really well then bringing them to room temp...nothing lots of smoke on about a 300 degree grill (they was a large range chicken quartered and enough St Louis ribs for four people)

just be patient check every 15 min add more chips and smoke away for at least 2 hours or so

when they seem nicely smoked/cooked through... start dipping them in sauce every 15 min until you have what my pictures looked like ..I thin it was one more hour

If you like chuncks in your sauce add a diced sweet bell pepper and a dice onion just before you bring it to a boil

Piglet 

Wow, that looks beautiful! It looks exactly as I'd imagined it - but I can see that the addition of brown sugar, corn syrup and chili sauce would all have helped a lot with making it sticky.

Thanks for raising a great topic and showing the results!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown