• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amalfi Coast Lemons

Morgan_Weber

I've been doing some research on the lemon variety grown on the Amalfi Coast. As you might know, the lemons grown there are heralded as some of, if not the finest lemons in the world. They're known for their complex and delicious flavor.

So here's my question. Does anyone on eGullet know how if there is a grower in the U.S.? Or does anyone know how to get their hands on a cutting? I know a lot of the flavor apparently has to do with the soil the trees are grown in, but we should be able to grow them fairly successfully here in the States as well.

If anyone is planning a trip to the Amalfi Coast, maybe they could cut off a twig, stick in their suitcase and ship it to me...lol. You think I'm kidding? :huh:

Any help or leads would be GREATLY appreciated.

-M

Bringing in agricultural products not approved for import is not a good idea. One can actually be responsible for the spread of a disease or damaging insect. I'm not kidding either.

I'm sure your local Customs Agent would fill you in on the details.-Dick

If anyone is planning a trip to the Amalfi Coast, maybe they could cut off a twig, stick in their suitcase and ship it to me...lol.  You think I'm kidding?  :huh:

-M

I'm off to the Amalfi coast for a month....not sure about getting a twig :biggrin: On a serious note I do not know if they are grown anywhere else. They sure make great Lemoncello though.

SB

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

If anyone is planning a trip to the Amalfi Coast, maybe they could cut off a twig, stick in their suitcase and ship it to me...lol.  You think I'm kidding?  :huh:

-M

I'm off to the Amalfi coast for a month....not sure about getting a twig :biggrin: On a serious note I do not know if they are grown anywhere else. They sure make great Lemoncello though.

SB

...smuggling in horse fat isn't quite legal either, but it makes damn good fries :biggrin: I'm only kidding about the horse fat.

I will check with Customs and see what I can find out.

Edited by Morgan_Weber (log)

Sorry, gotta agree with budrichard here.

Especially if you live in a citrus growing region, bringing back fruit is a very bad idea.

You never know what flies or whatever may have lain their eggs on it.

You really don't want to be responsible for something like the medfly or glassy winged sharpshooter.

One of the things I've read in regards to amalfi lemons and limoncello, is that they leave the fruit to hang for a really long period of time. And in that time, the skin continues to thicken and grow increasing in oil content and flavor, while the internal fruit shrinks.

That's why they make such wonderful limoncello.

A taste as sweet as a World Cup title

"They let the lemons hang for two seasons," Kuleto says. "If you don't pick them, they go back to green and then grow again. They get these big gnarly lemons, with a lot of skin."

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

We used to have a dwarfed tree when I was a kid... the lemons were the size of a softball. The tree was from Sorrento and really old :sad:

I loved to scratch the lemons skin and just sniff them

tracey

you could try an Italian American club and maybe find some old Italian still growing some at home

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

maybe you could find seeds? I grew a meyer lemon tree from a seed before and it actually got 3 lemons on it before some strange blight got it ..seeds are usually no problem getting into the country ...legally.. of course it is not going to be lemons next year or the next or even the next ..but it is worth trying I think

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

maybe you could find seeds? I grew a meyer lemon tree from a seed before and it actually got 3 lemons on it before some strange blight got it ..seeds are usually no problem getting into the country ...legally.. of course it is not going to be lemons next year or the next or even the next ..but it is worth trying I think

That's pretty much the recommendation that was listed at this website. It sounds like a commerical grower is going to be marketing one type of these trees, but it'll take several yrs before they have mature enough trees for purchase.

Thanks for all of the good information! I have located a grower in California that sells five or six different varieties of Italian & Sicilian lemon varieties.

http://www.califcitrusspecialties.com/ilemons.html

They don't carry the specific lemon variety found in the Amalfi Coast region, but many of these are very sought after as well.

Seeds, I believe are going to be the best resource for true Amalfi region lemon trees. That was a great idea. Thanks!

M

Thanks for all of the good information!  I have located a grower in California that sells five or six different varieties of Italian & Sicilian lemon varieties.

They don't carry the specific lemon variety found in the Amalfi Coast region, but many of these are very sought after as well.

Seeds, I believe are going to be the best resource for true Amalfi region lemon trees.  That was a great idea.  Thanks!

M

I did find one place that claims to sell Italian lemons, but they can't ship to AZ, TX, or FL. They did not seem to make a distinction as to what type of lemons they were, and they made the claim that Italian lemons (in general I assume) are called Sorrento.

Also, I've seen another article that states that the Sorrento lemon is also called Femminello St. Teresa. California Citrus Specialties (the link you mentioned above), does carry the Femminello variety of lemons. :smile:

I've got an update on the Italian lemons.

California Citrus Specialties called me yesterday afternoon and told me a bit about his business. He's a grower of trees for nursureys and a supplier of fruit. According to him, the Feminello St. Teresa variety of lemon that is apparently often used in and around the Amalfi Coast region is typically heralded as the best for making Limoncello. He said they are ripe during February-ish. Some of his fruit begins to ripen during the fall, but the good lemons are during the winter.

The good news is that he has a contract with Whole Foods. As he explained, if there is a Whole Foods Market near you, they can and will special order them for anyone. If they give you grief about it, call California Citrus Specialties and he'll probably get it straightened out. If you order directly from him, shipping can be quite expensive to get the product quickly. If you go through Whole Foods, there is no shipping fee.

Again, here is the link to the grower's website. He was extremely helpful and friendly.

Cheers!

-Morgan

• 5 months later...

So for what it is worth. Feminello St. Theresa Lemons are now ripe. These are the famed variety of the Amalfi Coast. California Citrus Specialties is the only purveyor of this variety of lemons in the U.S.

I ordered a bushel last week for $18. With shipping, my total was $44.67. I received about 50 lemons. They will promptly begin their masceration this evening to begin the lemoncello-making process. The juice will serve itself well in granitas and sorbet, or pie...haven't decided yet.

They smell amazing and are very oily--quite different from the regular lemons from Whole Foods that I have in the fridge.

If you would like to order some for yourself, California Citrus Specialties's contact information is in my above posts.