• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating sushi with your fingers

adegiulio

Just my 2 cents..I think nigiri in many places in the United States is sized too big, maybe to satisfy Americans who think bigger is better. :raz:

I have a very small mouth (every dentist I have ever visited has commented on the fact). I think it is probably gauche to bite a peice of nigiri in half. However, I think most of my dining companions would find it gauche of me to gag while trying to chew a huge nigiri portion and possibly end up coughing it all over the table.

So, when it is a tender piece like tuna, I usually bite it in half (as discreetly as possible). If it is octopus (unless it is an awesome sushi chef who knows how to cut it) I ususally have to eat the whole piece and end up chewing behind a napkin.

Call me crazy (and many people have) but your jaws shouldn't hurt after consuming a piece of nigiri.

Edited by shellfishfiend (log)

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

It's not the customer's fault if a piece of sushi is too big to eat in one bite. It's the restaurant's fault. So it's no breach of etiquette for the customer to bite it in half.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

A piece of nigiri zushi is supposed to be eaten in one bite, but there is no reason why you can't eat it in more than one bite if you have such a problem.

I asked my children (7 and 11) if they can eat a piece of sushi in one bite, and they both replied, "I think I can."

I googled and found this (Japanese only), asking the same question. One person suggests asking the chef to make smaller pieces or cut each piece in half... I guess a decent sushi chef will meet such requests.

Anyway, the balance between neta (topping) and shari (vinegared rice) is an important factor in sushi making, and should be discussed elsewhere.

This is confirmed by the author's observations in the new book, "The Zen of Fish."

By the way, for the past several days NPR Talk of the Nation has been running an interview with the author, Trevor Corson. They mention eating it with your fingers, along with various other tips and advice. (don't rub your wooden chopsticks together after seperating them, don't smother your sushi in wasabi and soy sauce, etc.) I'm not sure if they will still be running it on air, but I think you can here it on their website.

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

This is confirmed by the author's observations in the new book, "The Zen of Fish."

By the way, for the past several days NPR Talk of the Nation has been running an interview with the author, Trevor Corson. They mention eating it with your fingers, along with various other tips and advice. (don't rub your wooden chopsticks together after seperating them, don't smother your sushi in wasabi and soy sauce, etc.) I'm not sure if they will still be running it on air, but I think you can here it on their website.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I'd like to make some comments about what the author said.

1. The term tsukeba (pickling place) does not refer to the entire sushi shop but the place behind the counter where pickling takes place.

2. He said, "Salt and vinegar to pickle...", but I think he means "soy sauce and vinegar...."

3. Here is a thread about edomae zushi (edo-style sushi) in the Japan forum, if anyone is interested.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...44255&hl=edomae

4. Here is a link to Iron Chef Sushi Battle

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd4f7hR3F7s

where an edomae zushi chef appears as a challenger.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if using chopsticks for sushi and Thai food is straightforwardly based on Western misconception. I know it's fine, or even traditional, to eat sushi with hands. But, sometimes I eat sushi with my hands, and sometimes I use chopsticks. I also know that Thais use forks, but sometimes I ask for chopsticks in Thai restuarants anyway, because I feel like using chopsticks. My mom is Chinese, and we always ate rice and noodles with chopsticks and a spoon. When rice or noodles are around, chopsticks sometimes seem more comfortable.

Edited by Khadija (log)