• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Specialty Shops: Any money to be made?

MarkIsCooking

I've heard again and again how difficult it is to make money in the food business. There's a store a few states over that I've visited again and again over the past few years. I guess I'd call it "upscale country".

They feature a limited number of prepared foods (weekly changing), sandwiches/panini made to order, fresh coffee, homemade gelato, baked goods, catering and they have a wonderful market that sells wine, high end ingredients (DOP products from Italy, Wines, truffle oil and the like), high quality chocolates.

It seems like there isn't a lot of competition for a high quality store like this. Maybe because there's no money in it and maybe because it's a newer concept. But, since they just expanded and did a facelift to the store, I'm thinking it must be going at least OK or they wouldn't have plowed more money into it.

Anyone have any thoughts or insights on this????

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Mark,

Not a week goes by when I look at my wife and wish we had an Italian pork store/market/bakery like this in our area. I can't remember the last time I had real Italian bread or a canolli. We have resorted to trying to have my dad in S. Jersey and Aunt in Philly overnight us things from time to time.

I imagine a place like you describe would be very successful here.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea