• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese North Shore

Hi

We are expecting Mother and Daughter from Japan as Guests. What is you favourite restaurant for authenticity on the North Shore? Any special dish recommendations?

Thanks

Baconburner

Hamaei consistently has the best reputation in the Japanese community. It is quite cozy, but every staff member there is Japanese.

I have not tried any of the options in West Van, nor have I tried Yohachi near Lonsdale Quay. I can think of reasons to avoid every other option for sushi on the North Shore, although I won't name the guilty.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Hi

We are expecting Mother and Daughter from Japan as Guests. What is you favourite restaurant for authenticity on the North Shore? Any special dish recommendations?

Hamaei consistently has the best reputation in the Japanese community. It is quite cozy, but every staff member there is Japanese.

I've heard good things about Sen Sushi (Lonsdale Ave @ 19th St W) but I've never been there myself. Sushi and sashimi only, I think. Dragon rolls, Spider rolls, Alaska rolls. Nothing hot except miso shiru.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Wouldn't they get better Japanese food in Japan? Why not take them to something that demonstrates local cuisine so it is a unique experience for them? I will bet that any sushi bar you take them too will not live up to Japanese standards.

Cheers!

Wouldn't they get better Japanese food in Japan?  Why not take them to something that demonstrates local cuisine so it is a unique experience for them?

True, but often I find my guests appreciate something familiar occasionally, instead of a steady diet of unfamiliar restaurants and food. It really depends on how adventurous the individual is.

And I feel that sushi/sashimi can be a fine way to highlight local seafood that is in season. Something familiar, yet something different.

Zen, in West Van, right beside Le Regalade. Serious sushi and a great sake selection.

But, as was mentioned before, it might be an idea to take your guests for some serious West Coast cuisine. I lived in Japan and learned that it is a country of gourmands. Why not take them to the Beach House at Dundarave or even Le Regalade. An equivalent meal at one of those places would cost a fortune in Japan.

Paul B

When I lived on the North Shore my favourite sushi was Kokoro on Lonsdale. The place has seriously good sushi. Try the Energy Rolls....unreal!

A few reviews here...

http://chefmoz.org/cgi-bin/detail.pl?ID=Ca...&num_results=20

The Japanese family who owned and operated Kokoro sold the restaurant about 2 years ago. It was without a doubt the best sushi place on the North Shore! We gave the new Chinese owners one shot and were very disappointed! I would run not walk away from this place.

"I went to a restaurant that serves breakfast at anytime.

So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance".

Steven Wright

The Japanese family who owned and operated Kokoro sold the restaurant about 2 years ago.  It was without a doubt the best sushi place on the North Shore!  We gave the new Chinese owners one shot and were very disappointed!  I would run not walk away from this place.

Affirmative on the lack of Japanese ownership. To my knowledge, there are exactly zero Japanese restaurants on Lonsdale that are actually Japanese-owned and run. Ironic, considering the number of sushi places on the strip.

The only two in North Vancouver are Hamaei and Yohachi, AFAIK.