• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Garlic vs California Garlic on NPR

KristiB50

Here in Ontario, we have no choice.  All I've ever seen is Chinese garlic.  I wish, wish, wish we had California garlic.  I'd pay more for in a hot second.

Certainly it is possible to find the fuzzy-bottom garlic in Ontario - I have some in my cupboard right now which I purchased from Longo's. I have also seen it at Farmers' Markets. In the winter, of course, it's just not available. Not sure if it's grown in California or right here in Ontario but it's miles better than the usual Chinese garlic found in most supermarkets.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here in Ontario, we have no choice.  All I've ever seen is Chinese garlic.  I wish, wish, wish we had California garlic.  I'd pay more for in a hot second.

Certainly it is possible to find the fuzzy-bottom garlic in Ontario - I have some in my cupboard right now which I purchased from Longo's. I have also seen it at Farmers' Markets. In the winter, of course, it's just not available. Not sure if it's grown in California or right here in Ontario but it's miles better than the usual Chinese garlic found in most supermarkets.

I'm glad you can find it. I wish I could. I can get Ontario grown garlic from the guy where I buy my eggs, but thats only for a few weeks each year. I've only seen Chinese garlic in the grocery stores( No Frills, Independent, Food Basics)

Calipoutine, I buy enough of our own Ontario garlic from the farmer's market to last me the winter. I store it in a wire basket in my cold cellar. I am still using last year's and it is still fine.

In Southern California Costco has bags of Christopher Ranch California garlic. (And their excellent shallots, seasonally, too.) Maybe Canadian Costcos too? Other than that or at farmer's markets, all other garlic available seems to be Chinese.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

The story is HERE

I'll make a conscious effort to buy American garlic now.  I read up on Chinese garlic and apparently it's less flavorful and I love garlic!

How to tell the difference? Simply look at the bottom. The Chinese isn't fuzzy.

Chinese

tn_gallery_46943_4820_999.jpg

California

tn_gallery_46943_4820_2561.jpg

Unfortunately, it isn't that simple - the last local garlic I purchased from the Greenmarket looks like your "Chinese" photo. The grower had simply trimmed off the roots! :rolleyes:

The story is HERE

I'll make a conscious effort to buy American garlic now.  I read up on Chinese garlic and apparently it's less flavorful and I love garlic!

How to tell the difference? Simply look at the bottom. The Chinese isn't fuzzy.

Chinese

tn_gallery_46943_4820_999.jpg

California

tn_gallery_46943_4820_2561.jpg

Unfortunately, it isn't that simple - the last local garlic I purchased from the Greenmarket looks like your "Chinese" photo. The grower had simply trimmed off the roots! :rolleyes:

He needs to not do that! :wink::raz: