• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Advice: Restaurant Partnership Politics

begpie

I have a problem,i opened a new restaurant with a partner,we own 50/50,now i have a problem with his wife.She likes to make desserts and cakes,so instead of the chefs making them,she makes them at home and then sells them to the restaurant more expensive than a proffesional pastry.Not only that ,she fills the fridge with cakes and puddings knowing its a calm period now,so its impossible to sell them,im tired of paying for something and then throw it away or sell something thats not really fresh.What should i do??I want me and my partner to be friends,but this is really bothering me.

That's a tough diplimatic line to walk. I guess it depends upon how frank you and your partner can speak about his beloved wife.

Maybe asking her to let you know what and when she is going to bring stuff in, just so you can "know what to promote" on the floor would help. Then you can maybe carefully insert the message that you won't be able to sell that much pudding on a slow night, and it would help if she brought it in Friday instead?

Business is business, tell her she is costing the restaurant money, and she and her spouse will see little to no return if she continues to bleed the restaurant. Double dipping its called.

Be frank, curteous and blatently bottom line honest.

She can't do that stuff from home and then sell it per 90% of what I'm guessing with local health codes. It needs to be certified commercial and able to sell to the public, safely and in a sanitary manner that can be monitored by, say, drop in impromptu inspections.

If the product can't be sold, they why is she costing the potential profit her hubby would be turning? Thank her for her interest and avid participation, but cut the relationship as quickly as possible.

Spousal interaction in the workplace doesn't always work out well for either relationship.

Good luck!

The most diplomatic way to handle the situation is to go the health dept route: Explain that the restaurant is in voilation of all kinds of codes and isn't covered re: liability if something should happen to a guest eating food that is not prepared in a licensed facility. And then offer that if she wants to come into the restaurant and prepare the food there, well, then - we can have you come in on (name day/time that is probably most inconvenient...) and this is what is selling so we will only need 2 cakes and X pudding.....

If she's charging you for what she's bringing in - handle it the way you would any other distributor - I didn't order this, please take it back.... :wink:

Edited by JeanneCake (log)