• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining suggestions in & around the Village

epicurious

I'd like to revisit this thread. How many of the recommendations still apply? Also, specifically, I'm going to be having lunch with a friend this Friday, probably in the West Village. I'd like recommendations for delicious food that's gonna cost us $20-30/person, inclusive of tax and tip, and that's not too carb-heavy (my first suggestion had been dim sum in Chinatown, and that was her demurral). We're both flexible in terms of cuisine, but a selection of options would be great, because she can be picky.

Otto is still a good choice. Doesnt have to be carb heavy, as the veggie terrines, cheeses and meats are all reasonable and the olive oil copetta unreal as dessert.

On Bleecker, didnt Hemant's wife (dessert chef at Devi) just co-open a Mombai street food lunch place off 6th Ave?

Otto is still a good choice.  Doesnt have to be carb heavy, as the veggie terrines, cheeses and meats are all reasonable and the olive oil copetta unreal as dessert.

On Bleecker, didnt Hemant's wife (dessert chef at Devi) just co-open a Mombai street food lunch place off 6th Ave?

I don't know, Steve. That sort of vaguely rings a bell, and could be fun. Anyone know the name of that place?

Michael aka "Pan"

Otto is still a good choice.  Doesnt have to be carb heavy, as the veggie terrines, cheeses and meats are all reasonable and the olive oil copetta unreal as dessert.

I don't know, Steve. That sort of vaguely rings a bell, and could be fun. Anyone know the name of that place?

Otto definitely as long as alcohol doesn't enter into the picture. That easily adds another $10 to $20 to the price tag. For reference, an appetizer, pizza, pasta, dessert, wine and dessert wine [2008 prices] totalled about $70 for one person, tax and tip included.

You could try Redhead. I know it's in the EV. I'm not familiar with the WV all that much.

I'd like to revisit this thread. How many of the recommendations still apply? Also, specifically, I'm going to be having lunch with a friend this Friday, probably in the West Village. I'd like recommendations for delicious food that's gonna cost us $20-30/person, inclusive of tax and tip, and that's not too carb-heavy (my first suggestion had been dim sum in Chinatown, and that was her demurral). We're both flexible in terms of cuisine, but a selection of options would be great, because she can be picky.

gottino serves breakfast & lunch. the menu is very reasonable and they offer daily wine specials that should keep you and your friend within budget. you can piece together a solid italian meal and still keep it light on carbs. the patio is a bonus, though dining at the bar is just as enjoyable. great staff.

the new mumbai joint off of bleecker is aamchi pao but i know nothing about it.

gottino serves breakfast & lunch. the menu is very reasonable and they offer daily wine specials that should keep you and your friend within budget. you can piece together a solid italian meal and still keep it light on carbs. the patio is a bonus, though dining at the bar is just as enjoyable. great staff.

the new mumbai joint off of bleecker is aamchi pao but i know nothing about it.

According to their menupages.com page, Aamchi Pao is open only for dinner and late night. Thanks for the recommendation of Gottino.

Michael aka "Pan"

Gobo was OK - not great, but fine to go to once. I wouldn't be excited about going again, but it's certainly an acceptable and inexpensive lunch.

My dining partner got their idiosyncratic vegetarian "lasagna," made without actual pasta ("swiss chard & sun dried tomato rice lasagna"), and I got "tender sliced seitan in ginger marinade with asian kale, squash, brown rice," which wasn't very gingery but had good texture and was fine (the "lasagna" was probably more interesting). These were lunch specials, and the portions were very large, which made me wonder how big the dinner dishes would be. The bill was $25 plus tax and tip.

I'll look forward to trying some of your recommendations in the future.

Michael aka "Pan"