• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for "leftover" beef fillet recipes?

Chef Mz. Jeannie

Hey Y'all!

Every Friday night is "Steak Night" at my casa. (Most of the time, we do beef fillet steaks over mesquite, and often will buy the whole fillet because you can save a few bucks per pound. When we buy the whole fillet, we trim it ourselves, (usually over a bottle of red...), and wind up with some very small "leftovers", which we ziploc and put into the freezer to save for another use. These leftovers are what would be too small to toss on the grill as a steak. In the fall and winter, I make a fabulous Beef Stroganoff, but its coming into summer, and I am looking for some new ideas for more "seasonal" recipes in which we would use our "fillet leftovers" that would make yummy use of this leaner and tender cut. I have thought of doing fajitas... but I am thinking the meat would loose a lot in texture...(marinate maybe???) I could pound it out and make some Texas Chicken Fried Steak... (which I have done before and is slammin'!!)... but I really would like to hear some new and inspiring suggestions from everyone.

Of course, I could grind it up using the Kitchenaid grinder, and do burgers or a meatloaf, but I am looking for new territory to cover. Any ideas??

Hey Y'all!

Every Friday night is "Steak Night" at my casa.  (Most of the time, we do beef fillet steaks over mesquite, and often will buy the whole fillet because you can save a few bucks per pound.  When we buy the whole fillet, we trim it ourselves, (usually over a bottle of red...), and wind up with some very small "leftovers", which we ziploc and put into the freezer to save for another use.  These leftovers are what would be too small to toss on the grill as a steak. 

Of course, I could grind it up using the Kitchenaid grinder, and do burgers or a meatloaf, but I am looking for new territory to cover.  Any ideas??

Steak and eggs

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

If you like Thai flavors, David Thompson’s Thai Food has a recipe for marinated beef salad. Slice raw beef fillet and marinate with salt, lime juice, and Thai chiles for 10 minutes. Alternatively, grill the beef to rare, slice thinly, and then marinate briefly in lime juice. Make a salad with the marinated beef, sliced shallots, sliced lemongrass, shredded kaffir lime leaves, julienned red chiles, mint, and cilantro. We will be trying the rare-grilled version tomorrow.

Thanks to all who gave me some ideas. I totally zoned on doing kabobs! And your other ideas are all great. I may do a Moroccan inspired recipe that uses lamb for the kabobs normally, and adapt it to my beef fillet "scraps"...if there can be such a thing.

I appreciated the suggestion of doing a Thai inspired dish, but alas... I have not been a fan of Thai. I had a baaaadddd experience the very first time I had Thai. But I may try this idea as well! So many folks love this cuisine that I need to explore it more. Thank you again to all!!

If you want to go super easy, make nachos with Tostitos Scoops. Dice the beef (1/3-1/2") and put 1 piece on each scoop. Top with your choice of cheese. Bake at 350 until the cheese is melted and starting to get some nice color. Pull em out, add a touch of sour cream, which will help keep diced tomatoes and avocados in place. A single cilantro leaf and a splash of hot sauce and you've got some serious nachos in 15 minutes or less.

Edited by WiscoNole (log)