• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you wear when delivering goods?

JeanneCake

So... you are delivering a wedding cake, or another sort of celebration cake or pastries or something - what are you wearing:

Chef coat and checks?

A uniform (like a polo shirt) with the company name on it?

Street clothes?

Whatever you wore to work that day (kitchen clothes but not a chef coat)?

If you are on the receiving end of the wedding cake (you're the function manager or maybe you're watching the delivery person walk through the kitchen to get to the banquet room) does it make a difference what the delivery person is wearing?

Make a real entrance... do your own interpretation of The Naked Chef. :raz:

When we do catering jobs I wear whatever I'm working in if it's backdoor delivery, chef coat if I have to set up where the guests can see me. I've never done a cake delivery, cake art is not a skill I'm in great supply of, but I guess I'd do it the same way.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

For wedding cakes >>> I put a lot of thought into it. I can wear a chef coat. But more importantly my attire reveals my inner artist when I deliver and during consults (cake appointments). So even if I wear a chef coat, if I am delivering for myself (not under someone else's employ) I wear a quintessential K8t outfit. Probably jeans or jeans skirt with a lace top or pristine white shirt and pearls. Or pin striped dress slacks with a cool t-shirt and pearls. Uber comfy shoes. Can be sequined & beaded, might be plain black.

The pearls would always be tucked into the collar where you can see them sticking out around the edges some but I have them on for me. They're long and lovely they were Mom's. It feels really good to wear them. They are big and weighty and make the occassion of the delivery ever the more dramatic and quietly flamboyant. Because I know that I am delivering the focal point of the reception that will soon dominate the conversations and eyes and taste buds. It's important and sweet and expensive and part of a once in a lifetime experience.

Jesus made wedding refreshments. It's a big deal.

Over all that maybe a chef's coat maybe not, oftentimes though I do wear it I guess. If it's chilly for sure I wear it.

But I tell yah if you are delivering to big venues you need the coat for sure. You need every ounce of authority you can pleasantly muster. The coat works all by itself. Guys will hit on you in the elevators too it's an instant ice-breaker for some reason. But you are all business though No time for that. You can park in no parking zones with ease. The chef jacket is a good thing to have handy. It speaks volumes for you. Parts the waters.

I've delivered in wedding attire too. (when I did my kid's cake)

And then of course the chef jacket can cover a multitude of errant icing spots too. :biggrin:

Edited by K8memphis (log)