• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did I buy?

I was just in Vienna and bought these items at Meinl's. They were in the jam and preserves section.

Staud's

fur die feine Mehlspeiskuche

rote Johannisbeere konfiture extra (I know that's red currant).

In the back it says: Tipp: Staud's fur die feine Mehlspeiskuche wie z.B. Linzer Torte

As far as I can tell (with my foodie interpretation of several online translators) this means "for the fine pastry kitchen. Tip: use for Linzer torte." The ingredients are fruit sugar, pectin and "zitronensaft"

I also got an apricot one (Marillen), and this one says:

Marillenkonfiture fein passiert

Tipp: mit rum abschmecken

I'm about to give them as gifts. Could they be used like jam, on toast etc.?

BTW, at Meinl's I had a mild anxiety attack, since I could only bring back a couple of things. The variety, quality and display of foodstuffs was fantastic.

I got apricot because it's local, but the other one you shouldn't miss is the Staud's strawberry preserves. The best ever. They have it at L'Epicerie

They could be used as spreads, of course. But why give up the chance to make Linzertorte? :biggrin:

If you make a double batch of Linzertorte dough, you can use the apricot one you purchased to make "Marienbad Schnitten" which uses the same dough in pastries that are made with layers of the baked dough stacked with the apricot preserves spread inbetween. I think that I even like this better than Linzertorte. Which is saying a lot. :raz:

I was just in Vienna and bought these items at Meinl's.  They were in the jam and preserves section.

Staud's

fur die feine Mehlspeiskuche

rote Johannisbeere konfiture extra (I know that's red currant).

In the back it says: Tipp: Staud's fur die feine Mehlspeiskuche wie z.B. Linzer Torte

As far as I can tell (with my foodie interpretation of several online translators) this means "for the fine pastry kitchen. Tip: use for Linzer torte." The ingredients are fruit sugar, pectin and "zitronensaft"

The austrian term "Mehlspeise" is not only pastry but means also sweet, pudding, dessert.

"rote Johannisbeere konfiture extra"= super fine red currant jam

By the way normally red currents are called "Ribisel" in Austria. I thought the label on Meinl's red currant jam will show that word.

"Zitronensaft" = lemon juice

I also got an apricot one (Marillen), and this one says: 

Marillenkonfiture fein passiert 

Tipp: mit rum abschmecken

Marillenkonfiture fein passiert = apricot jam finely strained

mit rum abschmecken = taste with rum

I'm about to give them as gifts.  Could they be used like jam, on toast etc.?

BTW, at  Meinl's I had a mild anxiety attack, since I could only bring back a couple of things.  The variety, quality and display of foodstuffs was fantastic. 

I got apricot because it's local, but the other one you shouldn't miss is the Staud's strawberry preserves.  The best ever. They have it at L'Epicerie

You can use it as spread on a slightly buttered roll or SF sourdough bread, also brioche or yeast pastries are very good choices. Toast or french toast will have a negative affect on the taste. IMHO

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Thanks, Le Gourmet and Carrot Top.

"Ribisel" is nowhere on the label. I found the translation for Johannisbeer at the Meinl info counter, but I didn't think to ask about the product itself. I wish I had gotten the regular preserves.

I'm not crazy about Linzer torte, though I like all the ingredients. At least the ones I've had have been dry and the crust too thick. Maybe I would like it better really thin, more like a filled cookie.

Schnitten appears to be (now) a general term for what we would call a bar in the USA. I can't find any recipes on the web like what you describe, although I understand what you mean, Carrot Top.

I wish I had gotten the regular preserves.

I'm not crazy about Linzer torte, though I like all the ingredients.  At least the ones I've had have been dry and the crust too thick.  Maybe I would like it better really thin, more like a filled cookie.

Schnitten appears to be (now) a general term for what we would call a bar in the USA. I can't find any recipes on the web like what you describe,  although I understand what you mean, Carrot Top.

Oh! You should have no regrets about your purchase. Even if you (or whomever receives them as gifts) do eat them simply as spreads on breads, they will be wonderful and even more interesting than just "the regular preserves".

Once upon a time, a long time ago, before I went on to become a chef that cooked "real food" :wink: I was a pastry chef. Linzertorte was the very first thing I ever was told to make, in a professional kitchen. The kitchen was hot and steamy, the dough soft and melty and close to impossible to work with. :sad: It was a very hard day. :laugh: Nevertheless, Linzertorte remains one of my very favorite pastries when made well . . . and I did have a chance to taste the real thing in Vienna one year. I envy you your trip.

A good Linzertorte should sort of melt the moment it hits your tongue. There should be no hardness or dryness. Though I have tasted examples similar to which you describe. :angry: Bad bad people to make them like this.

The recipe for the Marienbadenschitten (I think I spelled that right :raz: ) is one I came across a long time ago, too, and have never seen it in print since. I was assured by a waitress who was my pastry-taster and cohort in the then-War To Make More German and Viennese Pastries, who originally hailed from the Marienbad area that indeed, it was something she remembered.

I didn't write it down, though.

Seems to me that each bite of the preserves will bring a very nice memory of your trip, howsoever you decide to eat them. :smile: Enjoy! :biggrin: