• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making nut pastes

gap

Hi,

I want to try making almond paste this weekend and was wondering if I should roast the almonds first? All the recipes I have say to use blanched almonds - they don't say "roasted", so I assume raw is the way to go?

Also, does anyone know if commercial pure nut pastes (ie., no sugars added) use toasted or raw nuts?

As always, thanks for any help

Hi,

I want to try making almond paste this weekend and was wondering if I should roast the almonds first? All the recipes I have say to use blanched almonds - they don't say "roasted", so I assume raw is the way to go?

Also, does anyone know if commercial pure nut pastes (ie., no sugars added) use toasted or raw nuts?

As always, thanks for any help

Raw is the way to go for almond paste. Adding a few drops of bitter almond oil adds a wonderful flavour as well.

I know I have had some hazelnut pastes that are so dark and flavourful, I suspect the nuts are roasted.

Try both, roast some (very gently, at low temp) and process some raw.

I like almond butter that is slightly toasted - I blanch them and roast them on a screen set on a sheet pan in a 200 degree oven. (it is just a stainless steel spatter screen 12 inches in diameter)

You can roast them right in the pan or even on top of the stove (keep stirring) but I like the just slightly toasted flavor - you should see just a faint color change.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Well, I've now made almond paste. I used raw almonds and it all came together quite well. I think next time I might try toasting half of them just for a bit of flavour. Also, I didn't add any bitter almond extract.

Well, I've now made almond paste. I used raw almonds and it all came together quite well. I think next time I might try toasting half of them just for a bit of flavour. Also, I didn't add any bitter almond extract.

You can knead the bitter almond oil in later.