• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Road Trip food

lala

Hello everyone!

I need reccommendations on good, tasty, inexpensive food in CA. I just graduated from a wine program up here in WA and am going to explore potential options in Napa, Sonoma and the Central Coast (emphasis on San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles). I'll go as far down as Santa Barbara and definately have a meal at Superica Tacoria (if that's the proper spelling!). Of course, at this point I'm not working and need to be as budget concious as possible while I do this.

My thought is to bomb down I-5, then hop onto 101 and continue on down, then work my way back up. I'll spend about a week in the Central Coast area and a week in Sonoma/Napa. I may do Highway 1 and Big Sur just for the fun of it as well.

So, if you can help me with good inexpensive food and lodging options, I'd appreciate it! And if you know of any wineries who are hiring, please PM me!

Thanks,

lala

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Taco Temple in Morro Bay also Chapalla in MB, Dorn's in MB especially for breakfast or lunch to enjoy the view. Novo in SLO. Big Sky, SLO. Taco de Mexico in MB or SLO. GoldenGong SLO. Ian McPhee's, Templeton. Los Olivos Cafe and wine shop in Los Olivos and around the corner from them is Patrick's Side Street Cafe where lunch is great and not too expensive. Hope this helps. I don't know for sure, but there are a LOT of wineries around here and we surely do a lot of pre-employment medical evals. Best of luck with your quest. This is a very nice place to live. The only down side is housing cost.

La Super Rica in Santa Barbara seems like a logical stop for cheap, awesome eats.

EDIT:

Whoops.  It looks like you won't be making it down that far South.  I should have read your post more carefully.

Yes, yes, yes! I will make it down there ( mentioned it in my post)... thanks for the correct spelling and the link to the Santa Barbara site. I'll poke around on that for more information. :biggrin:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

When I was in Napa I had a great, modestly-priced meal at the ridiculously charming Bistro Jeanty in Yountville, located just down the street from its more famous competitors, The French Laundry and Bouchon. I hear there's yet another Keller project in town, called Ad Hoc which is reputed to be one of those "cheap, considering..." places. But Jeanty is pretty darn swell, too.

If you're feeling picnic-y, you should consider copping a loaf of excellent bread or maybe some excellent pastries or both at Modern Bakery in St. Helena, and you can pick up all the other picnic necessities -- prepared foods, wine and cheese -- at the Dean & DeLuca just outside of town.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

If you're feeling picnic-y, you should consider copping a loaf of excellent bread or maybe some excellent pastries or both at Modern Bakery in St.  Helena,

It's actually the Model Bakery on Main St, but I'm sure you'll find it. Sunshine Market in St. Helena has a great deli section with wonderful sandwiches & salads...all reasonable. And, there's always Taylor's Refresher.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Oh, great suggestions, thanks!

I just want to clarify on the job thing (in case anyone knows anything and wants to PM me) - The wine program I graduated from inlcuded wine knowledge, tasting, marketing and sales. Other than that, I'm a CIA grad, ex-cook, and my other skills include event planning, food and wine pairing and management. So I'm looking for marketing, writing, front of house stuff, not cellar rat positions. Although I'd happily help out in the wine making process if the chance arose!

:raz:

Does anyone know anyone in Napa or Sonoma? Any good places to stay or dine in Sonoma - cheap?

And yes, I'm counting the minutes until I can get to Taylor's Refresher! Last September (when I was still employed and had money) we skipped it at the Ferry Market and went to the Slanted Door (very niiice). So I'm looking forward to going to the one in Napa!

Edited by lala (log)

La Super Rica in Santa Barbara seems like a logical stop for cheap, awesome eats.

EDIT:

Whoops.  It looks like you won't be making it down that far South.  I should have read your post more carefully.

Yes, yes, yes! I will make it down there ( mentioned it in my post)... thanks for the correct spelling and the link to the Santa Barbara site. I'll poke around on that for more information. :biggrin:

My brain must have been turned off yesterday because your post clearly says you're heading down that far and, worse, you even mentioned Super Rica. I need to go lie down.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

EDIT:

My brain must have been turned off yesterday because your post clearly says you're heading down that far and, worse, you even mentioned Super Rica. I need to go lie down.

Hey SiseFromm, I'm grateful that you took the time to reply, and you confirmed my decision to go there, so thanks! :biggrin: