• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Wines with food

Florida Jim

With wraps filled with humus and grilled veggies:

N/V Bodegas Pedro Romero, Manzanila Sherry Aurora (500 ml):

A really soft, yeasty, nutty, sea-air infused sherry that goes with this dish so well its like I’m dining on an outdoor patio in Cadiz overlooking the sea; served chilled this has a “pop” in the mouth and it lingers with a lovely freshness. 15% alcohol, imported by Frontier Imports and about $12; I’ll buy more.

2004 San Alejandro, Rosado Las Rocas:

Old vine grenache that has the scents and flavors of strawberries and cherries, clean, bright, juicy and well flavored, this is everything a rosé should be. 13.5% alcohol, imported by Eric Solomon and about $3; buy it by the case.

(Aside: Diane prefers the Rosado with the meal, not being a fan of oxidized wines. But for me, the sherry is tasty and symbiotic with the food. Either way, we are well served by the wines.)

With grilled salmon cakes and couscous:

2001 Edmunds St. John, Los Robles Viejos:

I am too early to this again; composed of mourvèdre, syrah, grenache and counoise from the Rozet Vineyard in Paso Robles, this wine is alluringly scented and quite integrated but also a little closed – I just can’t keep my hands off of it because it still shows well with deep fruit flavors, focus, a broth-like texture and excellent balance. But, it could use a few years in the cellar. 14.2% alcohol and about $27; I bought a lot.

With assorted cheeses:

2003 Dom. Tempier, Bandol:

Warm, complex aromas and a supple, worsted texture with lots of concentrated, savory fruit and a wide open, muscled delivery; a wine of endless complexity and yet, powerful and deep. Drinking wines like this makes the world seem a very cheerful place. Shows no ill effects from the vintage. Imported by Kermit Lynch and about $23 on sale; I’m going back today for the rest of it.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

As always, Jim, your tasting notes are a delight to read. I am also a big fan of ESJ, although we can never seem to keep any around. Steve Edmunds adheres to a more classic, brighter style of California winemaking. Glad to hear the 2001 is maturing nicely. For the price, I woud encourage anyandeveryone to pick up some ESJ selections if you can find them.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

As always, Jim, your tasting notes are a delight to read.  I am also a big fan of ESJ, although we can never seem to keep any around.  Steve Edmunds adheres to a more classic, brighter style of California winemaking.  Glad to hear the 2001 is maturing nicely.  For the price, I woud encourage anyandeveryone to pick up some ESJ selections if you can find them.

Mary,

FWIW, I recently had lunch with Steve and tried the 2005 Gamay, which was very sappy and fresh; the 2005 Pinot Gris, light and floral; and, the 2005 Bassetti Vnyd., Syrah, that Steve called the best red wine he ever made - and I won't argue that. Also, this will be his last Bassetti as the owner and he have parted ways.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com