• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone know the name of this place?

Jaimei

One of the many times I was in NY I went to this little french restaurant. The owners were french and the food was pretty good. The thing is I can't remember the name of it or where exactly it was. I think it was off of 5th ave. somewhere...I don't exactly remember. But I've been trying to remember the name of this place and can't and it's been bugging me. I know this is a totally vague discription of the place, but does anyone know what restaurant I'm talking about? It's just totally been bugging me that I can't remember the name of it.

In Oakland.

Tripping over rocks and almost falling in the water at the Berkley Marina in the middle of the night is so not a good way to die, unless it's the 4th of July.

I know, I know.....

La Reserve

How do I know you ask?

How many good French restaurants have "pretty good" food? Most of them have pretty bad food, ugly good food or just food. The "pretty" and "good" can only describe the now-closed La Reserve.

If you need collaboration, just ask JP.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

One of the many times I was in NY I went to this little french restaurant.  The owners were french and the food was pretty good.  The thing is I can't remember the name of it or where exactly it was.  I think it was off of 5th ave. somewhere...I don't exactly remember.  But I've been trying to remember the name of this place and can't and it's been bugging me.  I know this is a totally vague discription of the place, but does anyone know what restaurant I'm talking about?  It's just totally been bugging me that I can't remember the name of it.

Jaimei,

Cosette Bistro is very small and run by a French man and his daughter. It is located on 34th just west of 3rd Ave.

Tim

ps: Like they said, there may be hundreds of others.

The interior was quite small. They had booths around next to the walls. I think it had an awning outside. There was a mirror on one of the walls perpindicular to the door...like when you walked in if you looked to the left you'd see the mirror on that wall. For some reason I remember the mirror. I was looking at the mirror and watching the people who were sitting in a corner lol. I also think the floors and whatnot were hardwood floors. It was kinda dark inside...but there were windows at the front next to the door.

In Oakland.

Tripping over rocks and almost falling in the water at the Berkley Marina in the middle of the night is so not a good way to die, unless it's the 4th of July.

Any idea of what it was near, like a particular museum or shop? How sure are you on the "near Fifth Avenue" theory, and how near? Would you recognize the name if you saw it on a list?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

And perhaps you can recall what cross street it might have been near? Fifth Avenue runs for a fair distance. The place I was thinking of is near Fifth Avenue, is small, owned and staffed by French people and has "pretty good" food - but it's on a corner and has no booths.

The interior was quite small.  They had booths around next to the walls.  I think it had an awning outside.  There was a mirror on one of the walls perpindicular to the door...like when you walked in if you looked to the left you'd see the mirror on that wall.  For some reason I remember the mirror.  I was looking at the mirror and watching the people who were sitting in a corner lol.  I also think the floors and whatnot were hardwood floors.  It was kinda dark inside...but there were windows at the front next to the door.

Uh... La Reserve

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

It was a few blocks away from fifth ave., but we walked there from fifth ave. and I think it was east of fifth. ...something like that.

I'm going to email my friends in NY and see if they remember what street it was on or anything.

Edited by Jaimei (log)

In Oakland.

None of my friends remembered :(. One of them said they thought it was italian not french :huh:

ahwell...I'm about ready to give up though. Thanks for trying to help remember.

In Oakland.

Le Perigord?

...was there a cold app table near the entrance?

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association