• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halal Food cart on 53 St & 6th ave - New York?

luismi

I'll add my two cents about Kwik Meal.  I recently changed jobs and now work at 45th and 6th, and that cart was one of my early finds for lunch.  Really fantastic, IMHO.  The lamb is well seasoned, a hint of heat, great rice, and a serviceable salad.

What's different about the lamb here is that it's actual chunks of lamb, compared to the ground meat spits spinning around on most carts. Now don't get me wrong, I'll still dig into the ground stuff any day of the week, but when you bite into those succulent little thyme-scented cubes you'll know where the extra money is going.

The salad is sort of an afterthought. In fact, the salad and the white sauce (or maybe it's just yogurt) almost detracts from the lamb and rice. The salad and sauce are better when mixed in with some of the optional jalepeno-based (?) hot sauce and eaten separately.

You can specify the level of hotness you want (little, medium, spicy). You can also ask for extra meat, though the pricing seems variable at best (and the option is not listed on the menu anywhere).

The food is served in large plastic deli hot bar take-out boxes that I think are too large and unwieldy for the portions served. I think they'd be better off using the styrofoam containers used by the other vendors. That's the least of my concerns, of course, but after you walk around with that bag for a few blocks you'll see the food gets all sloshed around inside. Or I'm just clumsy.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any views on the various carts on 50th and 6th (where the Daisy May's cart is)? Many thanks for the recommendations above, but I'm also curious if I'm walking past anything particularly worthwhile on my way to the 40's.