• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck or Chix Confit idea

jmridd

I'm currently on my externship in the deep south, and am quickly becoming familiar with the omnipresent hunger for Fried Chicken. I was reading an eG post detailing duck confit, and I just wondered if anyone has ever tried or at least thought to take a leg of poultry confit (frig cold), dunk in buttermilk, flour, and deep fry at a high high temp to cook the flour and just heat through the meat?

Would this even work or would the meat fall right off the bone?

Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm sure you can find a way to do it where the leg stays together.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I have seen duck contif thrown into a deep frier when it was needed... rather quickly. The result amazingly was a very crisp outer skin with the same fall off the bone inside.(I had to try it myself after to make sure that the integrity of the product hadnt been jeapordized.) Ive found that chicken when it is put to confit doesnt maintain its shape as well.. I cant shed any light on the science though... Hold on Ill consult Mcgee.