• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie

Jennie9381

Hi, does anyone know if there is a way to make pumpkin pie that is lactose-free and also tastes good? I have never experimented with this before but was hoping some of you more experienced folk would have some answers. Can soy milk replace sweetened condensed milk? I'm assuming not, but are there any alternatives then? Thanks in advance!

Soy milk can replace cow-juice, you may have to adjust

the sugar i the recipe some,

and lactose-free dairy milk is also an option.

There are many web sites e.g. vegan sites or

food-allergy related sites, where specific recipes

and techniques are given....

The results apparently are really good.

In the final picture, with the flavorings

and other ingredients, the taste component

of dairy milk may not be that major.

So there should be no reason to doubt that

dairy-free or lactose-free pie can be superb.....

Milagai

Because I keep kosher, my pumpkin pies have been made with Coffee Rich Nondairy Creamer so that I am not serving a milk product after a turkey dinner .. while it isn't perfect, it does make life simpler ... and I add a little brandy to the creamer which makes it more festive ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I have made pumpkin pie many times with either Silk soy milk or Rice Dream replacing the evaporated milk or cream. I've never seen a recipe calling for sweetened condensed milk, but these wouldn't be an exact replacement for that. But you can make the recipe on a can of pumpkin and sub soy or rice milk with no problem at all.

You don't need to replace sweetened condensed milk. Use the Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie recipe and use your choice of milk substitutes (soy milk, non-dairy creamer, or coconut milk) to replace the evaporated milk. No need to adjust the sugar content then.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs