• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

recipe for red bean cake

delhigirl

Hi all. I need some help locating a good recipe for red bean cake. One of my Chinese colleagues recently got a red bean cake from home that was absolutely amazing. I'm longing to give it a try but can't get a good recipe. I did ask said colleague but his wife didn't want to part with the recipe. :(

I tried googling but the recipes that turned up weren't satisfactory. The cake I had was "cakey" with a light, airy texture but definitely still a cake, while the recipes I've found seem to be more jelly-like requiring red bean paste, gelatine, and sugar.

Do you have any favorite recipe you could share? How do YOU make red bean cake at home?

Hi all. I need some help locating a good recipe for red bean cake. One of  my Chinese colleagues recently got a red bean cake from home that was absolutely amazing. I'm longing to give it a try but can't get a good recipe.

It is hard to figure out what "kind" of red bean cake you had, especially that was a home-made production... anything goes. Can you describe it more? Was it baked? Flour-based pastry? Steamed? Sticky-rice flour based sweet cake? What does it look like? Does it contain red bean and something else? What kind of cake?

The popular "moon cake" can be a red bean cake too.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

well, there was a thin layer of light cake with a layer of red bean paste. I can't tell if the cake was steamed. What ought a steamed cake to look like? Sorry if that's too basic a question, I just don't know if I've ever had steamed cake.

I feel like it couldn't have been rice-based though. It didn't have a sticky or glutinous texture.

I can't recognize traditional vs modern. I don't know enough about Chinese deserts to be able to discern the difference. Or maybe I can but I don't know that I can. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't the red bean paste be traditional? But is flour-based pastry traditional as well?

It was round...no imprint. Uh...a layer cake. This is a lot harder than it looks. :)

No wonder I can't find a recipe.

hzrt8w do you mean that there isn't a definitive "Red bean cake" recipe and it could mean any number of things?

Red bean is used in so many different ways.

Red bean cake sort of narrows down the options to a few dozen choices.

Sort of like how rice cake and/or dumpling can be used to describe any number of different food items depending on the speaker's background, frame of reference, etc.

English language terms for Chinese food items are just a start to figuring out the particulars. That's probably true for other cuisines as well, in varying degrees.

A picture of the item would be best, or perhaps the name and location of the bakery/provider.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.