• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oceano's Oyster Bar and Sea Grill

fatcatbrew

This is where Peter's Whale was located. They were supposed to open the end of February so I guess they are a few weeks behind schedule.

When did Peter's Whale close? I thought they had a cult following around here. It was a nice place, although perhaps a bit expensive. Hopefully this new restaurant will be a nice replacement!

i've been driving out of my way at least once a week to see if it's open, as i know it's going to be my new favorite restaurant.

it's the same phone number as Peter's Whale, and that suggests that it might be the same owners. not sure about that. i didn't like Peter's Whale very much.

looks like someone dumped a lot of cash into this place. let's hope they live up to my expectations.

i've been driving out of my way at least once a week to see if it's open, as i know it's going to be my new favorite restaurant.

Hope you're right. I'm skeptical. Same owners as Peter's Whale, which was very diner-like. But I guess the word "oysters" on their sign gave you pause.

Hope you're right. I'm skeptical. Same owners as Peter's Whale, which was very diner-like. But I guess the word "oysters" on their sign gave you pause.

peter's whale was, at least at one time, related to peter's fish market in midland park, which was related to frank's fish market in glen rock (frank and peter were partners at one time, if my history's correct). since i respect both of these markets, i'm hoping that the new place will have some good fish. peter's whale, in that incarnation, just didn't serve the type of food i like, even though the fish may have been fresh-from-the-local-fish-market-fresh.

i'm skeptical, but i'm going to do my best to make this place good.

and i have to admit, the new sign is very sexy.

Edited by tommy (log)

peter's whale was, at least at one time, related to peter's fish market in midland park, which was related to frank's fish market in glen rock (frank and peter were partners at one time, if my history's correct). since i respect both of these markets, i'm hoping that the new place will have some good fish. peter's whale, in that incarnation, just didn't serve the type of food i like, even though the fish may have been fresh-from-the-local-fish-market-fresh.

I don't think that is true, Tommy. It certainly is true that Frank worked for peter before he went off on his own, but Peter's Whale, that used to be next to Frank's (which, BTW is under new ownership; Frank is quite ill) was not related to the best of my knowledge (living in Fair Lawn forever, here). Anyway, I'm excited to try it when it opens. The owner of Peter's Whale is a nice guy. Looking forward to hearing and posting more.

I don't think that is true, Tommy. It certainly is true that Frank worked for peter before he went off on his own, but Peter's Whale, that used to be next to Frank's (which, BTW is under new ownership; Frank is quite ill) was not related to the best of my knowledge (living in Fair Lawn forever, here). Anyway, I'm excited to try it when it opens. The owner of Peter's Whale is a nice guy. Looking forward to hearing and posting more.

thanks for the clarification. i gotta knock around my MIL for the bad info. nice guy or not i'm hoping the owner of peter's whale (and now, apparently oceanos) is interested in creating a destination restaurant. they've sure got the parking capacity.

Edited by tommy (log)

They have plenty of parking, that is for sure! And, hopefully they'll buy their fish at Peter's. (Peter's is my wholesaler and I've never been disappointed) I had a little party last night at my shoppe and had a yummy little oyster selection. Fresh as a daisy, they were, thanks to Peter's.

On my way home from the office tonight the sign read, "OPEN" and the valet parkers were standing at attention!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Uh oh, I sense a road trip coming!

New Jersey, you've been warned. :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

thanks for the clarification. i gotta knock around my MIL for the bad info. nice guy or not i'm hoping the owner of peter's whale (and now, apparently oceanos) is interested in creating a destination restaurant. they've sure got the parking capacity.

i spoke briefly with peter the other night. he reminded us of how peter's whale was once where jalapenos now is (we know that) and how he opened up a the fish market next to it. now, i think frank's was probably not related, but that explains the connection between peter of peter's whale and that fish market. :smile:

Edited by tommy (log)

it's pretty good. not as good as Varka i'd say from what i experienced, but a nice addition to the area.

Could you please provide some details of your experience there? Thanks.

i'd like to compare it to avra or milos (NYC) or varka (ramsey), but i think it's not as "greek" as those places. they do serve whole fish, but it's not the simple preparation of olive oil s/p/oregano that i'm used to at the places i mention above.

it's a very attractive restaurant to my eye. dark wood tones, clean lines, crisp white tablecloths, sparkly and decent stemware.

i think they're still working on some of the dishes. but overall i'm very pleased with the place. peter is class act who's most likely been in the business since before i was born, he and his businesses have been part of the community for years and years, his son (who's now involved in the business) seems to have his sh*t together, the waitstaff is good, and the food is quite decent.

Edited by tommy (log)

• 2 months later...

oceano'sWent to Oceano's for a Father's Day Brunch. Had a great meal, with pictures and descriptions (off the website) below.

Had two great appetizers. First, the medditeranean spread sampler, with taramosalata, hummus, feta cheese spread and roasted eggplant salad:

gallery_33036_3096_443.jpg

Loved the roasted eggplant salad and taramosalata, and enjoyed the hummus and feta spread.

Also had the coconut shrimp with thai dipping sauces, which was fantastic:

gallery_33036_3096_6287.jpg

They start off the meal with homemade bread and amazing olive oil, from a supply in Italy which the owner handpicks. The bread is cooked fresh every morning and was truly a stand-out portion of the meal, not just a necessary side. Unfortunately I forgot to photograph it.

We also had greek and caesar salad, both of which were very good and large portions (esp. the greek). The greek is served with a mint vinaigrette which we asked for more of and were promptly given.

For main courses, we had the tuna, lamp chops, and scallops.

The tuna was grilled and served with fresh ginger, noodles, scallions and a soy vinaigrette. We were also offered, and accepted, a small side of wasabi mayo. Cooked medium, it was a great dish

gallery_33036_3096_34301.jpg

The scallops were served over sauteed spinach and were also very solid and cooked perfectly

gallery_33036_3096_6413.jpg

Lastly, the lamb chops were both beautiful and excellent. Served with a dijon demi glaze and great french fries, the presentation was matched only by the taste

gallery_33036_3096_3342.jpg

We also shared an apple truffle for dessert, which was good but not great

gallery_33036_3096_26718.jpg

We will certainly be back. The room was beautiful and the prices were right in line with what we expected (220 for 5 people). A great place for special occasions in Bergen County.

- KOBI

Two of us went here for dinner last night. First time dining here for both of us.

I agree with Kobi that the homemade bread was pretty good. I think there were two types. I tried the one that seemed like a multi grain bread that had an onion flavor as well as pieces of rosemary. The oil they served it with was nothing special. We also received olives which were good.

We started off with the greek salad. They use a very mild feta and the dressing could have used a touch more vinegar. Overall it was good.

We shared 3 appetizers. They were all brought out at the same time shortly after we had received the greek salad. We had the fried calamari, the roasted beets with a garlic/almond spread, and the zucchini/eggplant chips served with tzatsiki.

The beets were by far the best of the three. The calamari was a bit rubbery and neither of us cared for what they called a thai chili dipping sauce. The zucchini/eggplant chips were sliced very thin and fried...if we weren't looking we wouldn't have been able to taste which was eggplant and which was zucchini. The tzatsiki was pretty good.

For dessert we had the greek yogurt with walnuts and cherries. I asked for some honey to be added to it and they were more than happy to oblige. Yogurt was a bit dry and we both wanted a bit more sweetness. Overall the dessert was fair.

Overall, I thought the service was very good.

Oceanos is very comparable to Varkas. Very similar style menu. Varkas does a much better job overall. I would go out of my way to go to Varka for a meal but would only return to Oceanos if I was in the vicinity and had a real craving for this style of food.

• 5 months later...

Tommy - thanks for another great recommendation!

My husband and I went to Oceano's on Saturday and we had a great time.

We sat at the bar which we love to do and it was so nice in there - very welcoming. The bar was not crowded since we went fairly early for a Saturday.

The staff is so friendly it is refreshing. The owners were very nice and personable.

We started with some drinks, light beer for me and tequila for my hubbie (he was duly impressed with their tequila selection)

We shared some appetizers and a greek salad. We got the coconut shrimp which we thought was pan-fried it was so fresh tasing so we asked and they said no they were deep fried but they change their oil everyday. I guess that means other places don't since I have had coconut shrimp out before that tasted like fried calamari -wow so good.

We split the greek salad that was very fresh and light, nice dressing and not a SINGLE bad leaf, which turns me off at other places.

My husband had the oyster sampler which he liked alot especially the smaller oyster from Oregon, which I can't remember the name of.

We also had the zucchini and egglant chips, again fried but very fresh.

I also loved the olive oil they served with the bread and the complimentary olives were wonderful. I even loved the spicey nut mix they had at the bar, and I do mean SPICY! even they tasted like they were good for you.

All and all we will be back to try more soon.

Thanks again.

Tommy - thanks for another great recommendation!

tommy ROCKS!!!!.

seriously though, i'm glad you enjoyed it. a better addition to bergen county i cannot think of, he said, ending a sentence in a preposition.

went recently and had some very good ahi tuna, which i would normally not order. spot on.

PS - We mentioned egullet and I think the bartender was one of the owners and he mentioned you! You are FAMOUS!

PS - We mentioned egullet and I think the bartender was one of the owners and he mentioned you!  You are FAMOUS!

thankfully i'm "famous" as a good customer. and then secondly from tommyeats.com. i'm surprised he even made the connection with egullet. but yes, that was likely Nick, one of the owners, behind the bar.