• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cherry Buttercream, anyone?

ChocoChris

Hi,

I am wondering what the best way to make a cherry buttercream would be. I was thinking of starting with a cherry puree but I'm concerned that the cherry flavor will not be strong enough. Should I add a liquor? preserves? I would mix that (the puree) into the buttercream. I figured that following the method for making another fruit flavored buttercream would probably work. Maybe??

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by ChocoChris (log)

I can't help you but I'm so glad you asked. I've only been making proper buttercreams for about 6 months now and I've never added fruit to it before. I'd like to make a mango buttercream and pastry cream and would like to know how much puree to add.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I can't help you but I'm so glad you asked. I've only been making proper buttercreams for about 6 months now and I've never added fruit to it before. I'd like to make a mango buttercream and pastry cream and would like to know how much puree to add.

I've actually made mango buttercream and it is fantastic. I can email the recipe to you if you want.

Chris

There is a recipe for Cherry Vanilla Buttercream in Chocolate Passion, by Tish Boyle and Timothy Moriarty thats very good.

Recipe:

1 can tart cherries packed in h2o

3/4 c. reserved juice from cherries

1 3/4 c. granular sugar (divided)

6 yolks

2/3 c. 1/2 & 1/2

1/2 vanilla bean

1 1/2c butter

2 tbsp. kirsh

1/8 tsp. almond extract

You cook the cherrie juice with 1 1/4 c. of the sugar to 238F pour half of it over the reserved drained cherries, let them steep. Reserve, when cool chop.

Heat the half and hald, vanilla and remaining 1/2 c. sugar, temper in yolks.......making anglaise. Strain, put in mixing bowl and mix until temp. drops to room temp.. Gradually add the butter (like typical butter cream), then add reserved syrup, kirsh, extract, chopped cherries.

I don't add the kirsh or vanilla bean, instead I add more almond extract. You can omit the chopped cherries if you don't want them you can also put a little food coloring in if you want a pinker color.

Kris,

Please post your recipe on thread to share, verses private emails.

Thanks.

Thank you for sharing the recipe, Sinclair. I was going to use frozen cherries but do you think that canned might be a better choice?

I will be happy to post the recipe here. I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate for the thread.

Thanks again!

Chris

MANGO BUTTERCREAM

(from Better Homes and Gardens Spectacular Desserts, 1992)

3 to 4 ripe mangos, peeled, seeded, and chopped

1 c. sugar

6 egg yolks, beaten

3 tbsp. orange Iiqueur or brandy

2 c. unsalted butter, softened

Blend or process all the mango pieces in a blender or food processor until smooth. You should have 1 1/2 cups puree ( a little more is fine.) Gently simmer the mango puree in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat till reduced to 1 cup. Make sure to stir frequently to prevent scorching (and watch for the bubbling puree that jumps out of the pan -- it's hot.) Remove pan from heat .

Stir 1 cup sugar into the mango puree. Cook and stir over med. heat until sugar is dissolved. Carefully stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks a little at a time. Return egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Bring up to a gentle boil and then reduce heat. Cook and stir for two more minutes, remove from heat, and stir in the liqueur. Cool to room temp.

Beat 2 c. butter with a mixer on medium to high speed until fluffy. Gradually add cooled mango mixture into the beaten butter. The mango adds a very light color to the buttercream.

Edited by ChocoChris (log)

The cherry juice in the recipe I posted does do alot to add flavoring. If you don't add any cherry juice (by using frozen cherries) I think you'd have to punch up the flavor in another way......or use more chopped cherries or extract.

I've never had any, but I think someone must sell a cherry emulsion........that would be a simple way to add flavor to buttercream.

When I make my buttercreams, I actually use a compound flavoring as well as some alcohol in the corresponding flavor. So all my buttercreams start out the same way until I am ready to work the sugar syrup. That's when I add the compound flavoring and the alcohol. This way you can make many flavors with the same base.

Lysbeth

Lysbeth - that's what I had in mind originally. Could I reduce the mango enough to make it similar strength to a compound? And how much reduction do you add to how much buttercream. And at what point do you add it?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Lysbeth - that's what I had in mind originally. Could I reduce the mango enough to make it similar strength to a compound? And how much reduction do you add to how much buttercream. And at what point do you add it?

I think that a compound is much stronger in flavor than a reduced puree. If you want to try using it, call Amoretti 818.718.1239 (or go here http://www.amoretti.com/docs/amoretti_compounds_info.html) and ask for a sample. They are great to work with. They have many flavors and sell them in 2.2 lb tubs, no minimums from what I recall. For a recipe with 3 cups of sugar and 1 cup of water I use about 2 tbsp of compound and add alcohol to taste (depends on which one you are using). This really does provide a good flavor and I get great reviews on these centers.

Lysbeth

The cherry juice in the recipe I posted does do alot to add flavoring. If you don't add any cherry juice (by using frozen cherries) I think you'd have to punch up the flavor in another way......or use more chopped cherries or extract.

I've never had any, but I think someone must sell a cherry emulsion........that would be a simple way to add flavor to buttercream.

Well, as it is, I did make a cherry buttercream following the CHocolate Passion Cherry Vanilla Buttercream. It was a nice color and had cherry pieces but the flavor was not as pronounced (or at least a stronger suggestion) as I would have liked. But I am going to look into the cherry emulsion or compound options. Learning something new here all the time...

Thanks again!

Chris