• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting dining in Charlotte NC area?

phaelon56

My new GF is relocating to the Charlotte area from NY state in a few months. She has already purchased a house in the University Park area and been for several week long visits to get settled in. I've now been there twice and soon to return. The duties of getting settled and limited time has kept us from getting out to eat but that will soon change. I've done some research on Citysearch but will appreciate any input from locals. For example....

Vietnamese - I find six places listed online - any recommendations?

Thai - What's the best one in that end of town?

The Melting Pot - I've never been to a fondue restaurant. Is this place actually good and is one of the two locations better than the other?

Any good Jamaican places in town? I've seen a take-out place on Tryon a few miles out of downtown but find only a "caribbean influenced" place listed on Citysearch.

How about soul food and BBQ? I' assuming there are a few good small soul food places but don't know where to look. Sonny's and Bubba's are listed as the most popular BBQ places but that doesn't equate to quality in my book - I'm looking for a place that has the best pulled pork and also good slow cooked dry rub ribs.

Any suggestions on the above will be appreciated - feel free to throw in other ideas (e.g. cuisines not mentioned in my short list)

Phaelon-

Fortunately, Kathleen Purvis, the food editor of the Charlotte Observer is a frequent lurker and occasional contributor to eGullet. I'm sure she'll have some good input.

Charlotte's not my town, so I can't offer any assistance.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, Varmint. Between holidays, ice storm, two illnesses and the end of a very large project -- I haven't stuck my head out of my foxhole in weeks.

Dining in Charlotte: Come on in, Phaelon -- the water's fine.

We have a lot going on, more than I can even begin to list. For starters:

Asian: Asian populations have been heavily represented here for quite some time, with Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Chinese and Korean predominant. A good place to start is at the Asian Corners Mall at North Tryon and Sugar Creek. Don't let the parking lot scare you. It was an abandoned shopping mall until it was taken over by 3 sisters. It has a large supermarket stocked with food for all the dominant ethnic groups in the neighborhood, including Asian, Mexican and Caribbean. Asian is the main thing, though.

In the mall beside the store, there are several good places. I like Cali, but inside, Dragon Court is much quieter than it should be. They have good food, but I think most people don't find them because they're inside the mall. Also inside is Hong Kong Barbecue, a good source for buns.

Beyond that, you'll find a number of good restaurants and stores along Central Avenue, including Dim Sum and several good Thai restaurants. On South Boulevard, I like Pho 98 as well, and there's a good Indian restaurant near that, Jaipur.

Melting Pot: They've been around a long time, but I haven't visited in years. It's fun for date night, but I like doing fondue at home, where I can get comfortable.

Jamaican: The place you saw listed is Anntony's (that's right, not Anthony's). Also a longtime place. I like their greens, their chops and their chicken very much. And their sauce, sold in local markets, is good to keep on hand for grilling season. I have a shameful addiction to both Anntony's Caribbean Sauce and the Roasting Company's Tico Sauce.

BBQ: Sonny's and Bubba's? What listing are you reading, for heaven's sakes? For eastern N.C. barbecue without driving to Wilson, try Bill Spoon's on South Boulevard. Bubba's is OK and has a following but if you want Lexington-style, drive to Lexington -- it's only 30 minutes. (And for all the other barbecue nuts who will immediately follow this post with vociferous arguments -- simmer down. Barbecue debates get way too heated, which is why I usually avoid them. Keep an open mind and an open mouth -- that's my motto.)

Soul food: That's a great thing to know about Charlotte. This is a city, and there's more history of soul food than there is barbecue. In the Carolinas, barbecue is a larger tradition in smaller towns and rural areas. For great soul food: The Coffee Cup (of course) and don't skip going there for breakfast some cold morning, and the United House of Prayer For All People. Many of the UHOPs serve food, but for the best all-around experience, go to the Mother House on Beatties Ford Road. (Take Beatties Ford north until you see something that looks like the Emerald City. Turn left into the parking lot. Don't miss the coconut pie and the macaroni & cheese.) Farther up the street is McDonald's, which also has a long history. It's changed hands and I haven't had a chance to try it lately, but it's worth knowing about.

Mexican: It's huge here, and growing rapidly. Shopping and restaurants are booming. We still don't have a white-tablecloth Mexican restaurant, but that's coming before too long. Give the community a little more time to settle in.

Other suggestions: Fine dining (Zebra, Pewter Rose, Upstream, CiBi, plus several new places that are about to open uptown, like Blue and Luce), fun and funky (North Davidson for Cabo or Boudreaux's or Kelly's, Plaza-Midwood for Dish), specialty food shopping (Ferrucci's, Dominicks, Salute, Pasta & Provisions, Dean & Deluca, Carniceria La Mexicana and Panaderia La Mexicana, Payal and Bombay Bazaar, Home Economist and many more).

See? Far more stuff than I can cover in a posting. I've been here for 17 years and the changes in Charlotte's food scene are enormous.

We put as many things as we can in the paper. It would help to get a copy of the Living Here section we do every year, for general reference and addresses. Try the chamber of commerce, or call the circulation department.

And welcome to Charlotte, Phaelon. Pull up a chair.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Oh, and I forgot to ask: Is that a Coffee Messiah sign from Seattle as your signature? I have one of their T-shirts. Love that place. The counterperson gave me a quarter and let me play the disco ball in the bathroom.

SIX Vietnamese restaurants in Charlotte??? Wow.

I know some people down there and all I can say is that the food scene is wasted on them. I mean even if I payed them a visit, I'd wind up eating at all these places by myself.

Real life conversation (takes place with one of these Charlotte persons while they were in NJ) -

Me: "Hey, let's go out to dinner... my treat."

They: "Ok, sounds good. Just as long as it's not one of those crazy places I hear you talking about."

Me: "Um... what are you talking about? Define 'crazy', please."

They: "Oh you know, those weird foods that you like to eat. Like Korean barbecue."

Me: "Ooooookaaaay... what sort of cuisine would you like to eat.?"

They: "Anything else I'll eat. Just nothing spicy... no Indian, no Mexican, no Thai, no Cambodian..."

Me: "Vietnamese?"

They: "No, no Vietnamese. No sushi. Nothing fancy like French or European."

Me: "How about Spanish or Cuban?"

They: "No, I just said I didn't want anything European."

Me: *sigh* "Okay, so we're basically looking at a steak joint."

They: "Oh no, I'm pretty flexible. I could do Italian. Or Chinese I guess. As long as they've got good sweet and sour chicken." (note: at this point, I wish I was making this up!)

Me: "Well, I know this little Italian place that's two blocks away and I've wanted to try it for a long time. Let's just go there."

They: "That's good. I bet their spaghetti and meatballs aren't as good as my usual place though!"

Me: *sigh, head hung low* "Actually, I think I'll save that place for a different night. Let's go get steak."

I know some people down there and all I can say is that the food scene is wasted on them.  I mean even if I payed them a visit, I'd wind up eating at all these places by myself.

But 201, don't you think that conversation could have happened anywhere? Some people have closed minds on food, but in my experience, that has less to do with where they're from than how they were raised. I don't think it's more of a symptom in Charlotte than it is anywhere else. Heck, I know people in NYC who never leave the few blocks around their apartments and offices and turn up their nose at any place that hasn't got a Zagat listing.

Here in Charlotte, I get plenty of calls from New Jerseyans who've relocated here that go like this:

N.J. caller: "Where do I get real bread? I hate these biscuits."

Me: "Where have you had biscuits?"

N.J. caller: "I tried one from a drive-thru window."

Me: "Oooooh dear."

I'd love it if people were more open-minded about their food experiences, but on the other hand: That leaves more to discover for the rest of us.

Oh, and Phaelon -- on fun/funky, I left off the Penguin in Plaza/Midwood. Best job of renovating an old place while keeping the best parts. That's the trouble with answering "tell me where to eat in your town" questions. There's always more than you can remember at one sitting.

After spending the last few days in Charlotte I now declare myself an expert on Charlotte eating - as opposed to Charlotte Dining.

Breakfast:

The Coffee Cup and John's Country Kitchen. Both places fry up classic down home breakfasts seasoned with hospitality. John's offers pig brains as one of their meat options, the Coffee Cup includes fat back. I passed both up for sausage patties and liver mush.

Lunch:

Back to the Coffee Cup for skillet Fried Chicken and some of the best Southern style vegetables you'll ever have. Or head to Lupie's for great chili slaw burgers and/or chili slaw dogs. Choice of chili's. Mild mannered Cincinnati or gullet-burning Texas style. Order a bowl full of banana pudding for dessert.

Dinner:

Pick up fried chicken dinners from Price's and haul them back to your hotel room. You won't find any better. Or if it's Monday head to Lupies. Monday night is Meatloaf night at Lupies. The mashed potatoes alone (only served on Meatloaf Monday) are worth the return visit. The meatloaf is kinda good too.

Still have a few more meals in Charlotte. On my list for lunch - eastern NC BBQ from Bill Spoon's and a couple of dogs all the way from Green's Lunch.

Dinner - an expedition to the Twin Tops Fish Camp a few stone throws west in Gastonia and tomorrow, Mert's Heart and Soul and likely some more fried chicken.

Oh yeah, for dessert or mid afternoon or mid morning snack, return to Gastonia and to Tony's Ice Cream company. Ice cream is made right there, high in butter fat, low in over run and full of flavor. If you've got room or a partner you're willing to share with, get their banana split.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

My favorite 2 "ethnic" restaurants in Charlotte are La Gran Havana for great Cuban and Cajun Queen for cajun/creole cooking. At La Gran Havana you can't go wrong with their roast pork, wonderful garlic marinade and just falling apart, don't forget to squeeze the fresh lime on it.

Their are 2 Cajun Queens, one downtown and one in Pineville. I have tried both and both are excellent. I could make a wonderful meal off of just the garlic mashed potatoes and red beans and rice, but then I would miss out on the chicken etouffe or another great entree. I like the atmosphere a little better at the downtown location but food is great at both.

Cindi

• 3 weeks later...
I know some people down there and all I can say is that the food scene is wasted on them.  I mean even if I payed them a visit, I'd wind up eating at all these places by myself.

But 201, don't you think that conversation could have happened anywhere? Some people have closed minds on food, but in my experience, that has less to do with where they're from than how they were raised. I don't think it's more of a symptom in Charlotte than it is anywhere else...

Sorry for the late response, Kpurvis. I forgot all about this thread and just happened to see it again while looking for the elusive "Florida Forum". :laugh:

Reading my post again, I see that I was a bit unclear. I just meant that these few specific people I know in Charlotte have no appreciation for the food scene there (or anywhere for that matter). They're originally from Jersey too, so I really wasn't saying anything about the greater Charlotte population... some of whom I would have to befriend so as to have dining companions if I ever make it down that way!

And yes... one can find unadventurous eaters EVERYwhere.

Another thought... if your GF is located near Salisbury, there is a wonderful restaurant there called "La Cava", located in an old church. Spectacular wine list, impressive food, romantic atmosphere.

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

By the way, Holly and others, I take it you've all seen the news that the Coffee Cup appears to be closed? We had a story on it earlier in the week. There's still no final word on what's going on with the building. But we could start a great general thread: Bobby Flay visits and the place closes the next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We are driving to Florida from NJ in the next few weeks. We had planned to stop at the coffee cup for a great southern breakfast. Do you know if the place is re-opened and is it as good as before? Thanks for the help!

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

Haven't lived there for years, but still visit occasionally...for a great pastrami sandwich, try Chris' Deli on Independence Blvd, with a side of classic macaroni salad. Guaranteed you won't get hungry before dinner!

Thanks varmint! We wanted to hit a couple of barbeque places, so we were plannning on getting to NC around late afternoon and trying either lexington #1 or Skylight in Ayden. Figured we stay somewhere in that area that night. That way we can hit some SC barbeque places the following day for lunch. Have seen a lot posted about the coffee cup thats all. But if you have some other breakfast recommendations closer to 95, I'd love to hear them. Biscuits, grits, country fried steak, fat back, YUM! Thanks for any help you can provide.

Figured we'd try sweatmans in SC. What do you think?

Edited by TheBoatMan (log)

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

I think you just need to take some time and look at a map of North Carolina. Lexington is at least 2-3 hours west of I-95. Ayden, where Pete Jones' Skylight Inn is located, is probably an hour east of I-95. If I were you, I'd swing over to Wilson, where they have several good barbecue joints, the best of which is Mitchell's. Tony Bourdain actually visited there on his tour of NC barbecue joints (to be aired soon). Go before it gets popularized, because it doesn't have the name recognition of some places.

You can also try my other favorite, Wilbers, in Goldsboro, which is about 40 minutes east of I-95. Also consider trying Fuller's in Lumberton (just off I-95), as they incorporate a lot of Lumbee Indian cooking into their southern cuisine.

I just don't see you heading as far west as you'd think, unless you want to add another entire day to your trip.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hi,

We are driving to Florida from NJ in the next few weeks.  We had planned to stop at the coffee cup for a great southern breakfast.  Do you know if the place is re-opened and is it as good as before?  Thanks for the help!

You won't go wrong with the Coffee Cup. If they've reopened, go for it.

Another suggestion in Charolette. Ranks right up there with the Coffee Cup for both food and character. John's Country Kitchen, 1518 Central Avenue. Great down home breakfasts. Don't remember fat back on the menu, but pork brains and liver mush are. Link: John's Country Kitchen

But if you're heading down I95, Charlotte is maybe 3 hours away on I-85. Quite a side trip. Not that there's anything wrong with that for a great breakfast. I've driven 8 hours just for a plate of fried clams.

Lexington is just past Charlotte on I-85. If there go to Lexington #1. Guess you could continue along 85 through Atlanta and down to Florida that way.

Sweatman's and Skylight are both off I-95 if you're taking the more traditional route.

Want a good breakfast off I-95. Easy. Same as I recently said for barbecue. Get off the Interstate, find just about any small or medium sized town, pull by the fire or police department, and have them point you to the local breakfast spot. You'll be up to your neck in gravy and grits.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Thanks Varmint and Holly Moore. Great site by way the Holly Moore, I love it. I didnt realize lexintgton/charlotte were that far off 95. I thought it was more like an 1 1/2. Maybe we will have to put those plans off to summer and do a dedicated barbeque road trip. I guess we will do skylight or wilburs (thats the one by the airport I read somewhere, right?) which will keep us within an hour of 95.

Any specific recommendations for breakfast within a hour of 95 in the southern nc or sc area? Thanks again.

As Holly said, you won't go wrong for breakfast if you stop in nearly any small town. You need to get far enough away from the interstate and into the downtown area. Ask the locals where to go, but the tricky part is finding out who truly is local -- as Holly mentioned once, people working in hotels are often the worst ones to ask. Most places will have good grits, biscuits, streak o lean, red eye gravy, country ham, molasses, . . . . mmmmmmm.

I believe Fullers in Lumberton serves a real good breakfast, and they're in southern NC.

Again, pull out a map. You'll find lots of places.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites