• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Confessions

haresfur

I admit, I sometimes like drinks that others might turn up their noses at. Maybe not chocotinis, but ones that aren't "too adult". There was a MixMo a while back on "guilty pleasures" but maybe others have ideas for drinks that are tasty (or perhaps humorous) in spite of themselves.

For example, how about an adult float that feels nice on a scratchy throat:

P4290009.JPG

Fill chilled glass with lemon-lime gelatto

Add 2 oz Aperol

Top with tonic water

Might be better with Campari

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Does the White Zombie recipe I found online, rum, fresh lime juice, coconut milk and chile-infused simple syrup, qualify? I didn't find it overly sweet considering what's in it but I don't think it's going to be making many appearances at the serious cocktail awards either. Regardless, I liked the little kick of chile heat and flavor lurking beneath the surface. I used Havana Club Anejo Blanco for the booze.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On of my favorite party tricks is combining grapefruit sorbet with Campari in the food processor, then refreezing in small glasses. Serve with dark chocolate and a simple cookie.

It would be fun to scoop frozen mixture into tonic as you suggest.

BTW, Meletti and vanilla ice cream is also delicious.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I work in an ice cream store, and I have become quite adept at coming home and dumping ice cream into booze, some of my favorites are a scoop of grapefruit sorbet in cold gin, or mango habanero sorbet in a martini. Yum. I do not blend it, i prefer it just all melting and mixing together in scoops.

I also like a cosmo. I always feel I should apologize for it, but sometimes I do.

I am unashamedy a fan of a drink called the Electric Tiger. This is white rum, orange juice, and Cointreau, and the glass is rimmed in chocolate syrup to provide the stripes.

I'm also quite happy to drink Barley Sandwiches (black beer with a shot of scotch, boilermaker style).

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

On of my favorite party tricks is combining grapefruit sorbet with Campari in the food processor, then refreezing in small glasses. Serve with dark chocolate and a simple cookie.

It would be fun to scoop frozen mixture into tonic as you suggest.

BTW, Meletti and vanilla ice cream is also delicious.

That sounds great. I bet the chocolate goes well. I've mixed Campari with lemon sorbet. Looks nice swirled in with straight lemon but I've had problems getting the swirl right.

I am unashamedy a fan of a drink called the Electric Tiger. This is white rum, orange juice, and Cointreau, and the glass is rimmed in chocolate syrup to provide the stripes.

I'm also quite happy to drink Barley Sandwiches (black beer with a shot of scotch, boilermaker style).

Awesome. Do you put the chocolate syrup on the glass before or after you build the drink?

I'm trying to feel embarrassed about the fact that thinking about Shirley Temples (my grandfather used to get me these when I was very small, and he took me to the heavily masculine restaurant in the cellar of the the building where he had his office) has made me crave one. I'm thinking that if you used a decent ginger ale and Maraschino (instead of grenadine and a alleged 'maraschino' cherry), it might not even be that degraded of a drink..?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Awesome. Do you put the chocolate syrup on the glass before or after you build the drink?

Before, then carefully pour from the shaker into the center of the glass. Done properly, the syrup stays put on the edges for quite some time, but still lends its flavour to the drink without causing clouds or muddiness.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)