• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Right place for foodie to live in Montreal

doronin

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I missed some of the criteria, but a few areas I would consider that don't seem to have been mentionned much are the obvious ones : Old Port (lots of great restaurants and architecture), St-Denis (Carre St-Louis, for amazing architecture and proximity to restos on St-Denis and St-Laurent), and Mile End (close to Laurier and Bernard).

A lot of places in these areas have been redone on the inside and are stunning - large spaces, bright, historical and modern at once - very Montreal, I think. I live near CSL myself and love that I can walk pretty well anywhere I might like to explore. I don't think that you need to live right beside either Atwater or Jean Talon to benefit from the great produce etc available there, especially given that you have a car for your commute to work. Parking won't be easy the more central you are, thanks to few underground options, but permit parking isn't so bad if you have the permit! The old port has a fair amount of underground parking options however tend to be premium and pricey.