• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner recommendations in Hanover NH

bobmac

Are you with car or on foot? Casual or "nice"? There are a number of fine dining options within a half hour. Hanover Inn/Daniel Webster Room is generally consistent in town - think Zins is the wine bistro there. EBA's (Everything But Anchovies) for pizza, etc.

Staying at the Hanover Inn. Got the impression from their websited that DW Room was open only for breakfast and lunch, which kind of surprised me.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

If you're driving, try the restaurant at Simon Pearce or Home Hill French Inn & Restaurant in Plainfield, NH. There are several good bets in Hanover proper but the names keep changing, the folks at the desk of the Inn should be able to give some good recommendations in town. Murphy's across Main St from the Inn is a good bet for a nice drink and a simple meal if it's not a big college weekend. Cafe Buon Guisto was good the last time we ate there but that was a couple of years ago.

just so happens i live in hanover. forget about bon gustaio-they are closed and the same for home hill they, too, are out of business. the hanover inn is more formal while zins is more casual -quite okay-ate there last nite. but i would recommend the canoe club- it is fairly new and it's on main street just across from the inn. the 20 minute trip to simon pearce is well worth the drive if you can make it. and then there is across the river in norwich, carpenter street. forget the norwich inn dining room it is just okay

for a more innformal taste try the pizza at ramunto's much better than eba's and it is in a new building. you could also try mai thai for thai food, the orient for chinese and the india queen for indian. the last mentioned ethnic restaurants are all in easy walking distance. if you are coming up soon, bring warm clothes and boots. we are just recovering from a 14 inch snowfall and the evening the temp has been down to the teens or single numbers.

have fun in hanover

Dinner at 9 during the week is pushing the envelope.  The sidewalks tend to roll up pretty early, especially in the winter.

It has been a few years but I seem to remeber that most business closed at 7 PM. At least in the heart of the city, later in the outskirts.

Edited by WHT (log)
Living hard will take its toll...

OK, we've enjoyed lunch at the Canoe Club, and it serves until 9:30. Thanks.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

just so happens i live in hanover.  forget about bon gustaio-they are closed and the same for home hill they, too, are out of business.  the hanover inn is more formal while zins is more casual -quite okay-ate there last nite. but i would recommend the canoe club- it is fairly new and it's on main street just across from the inn. the 20 minute trip to simon pearce is well worth the drive if you can make it.  and then there is across the river in norwich, carpenter street.  forget the norwich inn dining room it is just okay

for a more innformal taste try the pizza at ramunto's much better than eba's and it is in a new building.  you could also try mai thai for thai food, the orient for chinese and the india queen for indian.  the last mentioned ethnic restaurants are all in easy walking distance.  if you are coming up soon,  bring warm clothes and boots.  we are just recovering from a 14 inch snowfall and the evening the temp has been down to the teens or single numbers. 

have fun  in hanover

i'll look forward to trying the canoe club and ramunto's next time i'm in hanover

I should note that my info is somewhat dated: I haven't been to Hanover to in a few months, and I haven't lived there full time since June '05.

Ramuntos is indeed quite tasty. Their garlic knots are well worthwhile. If ordering delivered, though, they can take a while to get there. EBAs is the fastest, but not very good. A nice middle ground between the two is C & As.

Mai Thai is not very good. The food is mediocre, and the service is consistently extremely slow. I have to strongly recommend against it.

Molly's is always popular amongst the student set-it is well worth going there for their bread! (And the rest of their food is good too.) It's just basic American food, but it is quite well executed. Murphy's is similar, with a little more of a formal atmosphere.

The 5 Olde Nugget has some good pub grub at affordable prices.

For breakfast, there is but one word: Lou's. Lou's has been there forever and it's for a good reason-it's the best breakfast spot I've been to, anyhere, bar none. The only problem is that it can get very full very quickly and there's often a line, especially on weekend mornings. Still, it's usually well worth it.

For those with cars, I really liked Yama Restaurant, a Korean/Japanese restarant in West Lebanon, on Main Street. Their sushi has great reviews from my friends, and personally, I loved their tofu teryaki (I haven't found its equal anywhere, which makes me sad since I'm no longer Hanover-based!), as well as their japchae. Well worth it if you are in the area. (Plus the people who work there are incredibly friendly.)

just so happens i live in hanover.  forget about bon gustaio-they are closed and the same for home hill they, too, are out of business.  the hanover inn is more formal while zins is more casual -quite okay-ate there last nite. but i would recommend the canoe club- it is fairly new and it's on main street just across from the inn. the 20 minute trip to simon pearce is well worth the drive if you can make it.  and then there is across the river in norwich, carpenter street.  forget the norwich inn dining room it is just okay

for a more innformal taste try the pizza at ramunto's much better than eba's and it is in a new building.  you could also try mai thai for thai food, the orient for chinese and the india queen for indian.  the last mentioned ethnic restaurants are all in easy walking distance.  if you are coming up soon,  bring warm clothes and boots.  we are just recovering from a 14 inch snowfall and the evening the temp has been down to the teens or single numbers. 

have fun  in hanover

i'll look forward to trying the canoe club and ramunto's next time i'm in hanover