• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

M40 Lunch

stef

Hi I have to collect a friend from Heathrow and drive back to Birmingham. Any ideas on a good place to have lunch on the way back?

At the moment looks like Sir Charles Napier or Nailcote Hall.

Depending on how far you want to stray from the motorway, one of my all time favourites is The Crazy Bear at Stadhampton. Only a few miles but well worth it if you like Thai food (although there are also good bar snack and "modern English" menu offerings.) Book a table in the bar - it's good fun, very quirky and nowadays pretty popular all week long. The two restaurants are worth having a look at though, as is the garden (where you can eat in summer).

No mention of the Leatherne Bottel being that you live in Goring? Haven't been for a long time (since Keith died and Annie left) but I'm sure it's still as good as it once was. On looking at their site, they seem to have had the same Head Chef for over 10 years, so she must be doing something right?

Edited by KimS (log)

No mention of the Leatherne Bottel being that you live in Goring? Haven't been for a long time (since Keith died and Annie left) but I'm sure it's still as good as it once was. On looking at their site, they seem to have had the same Head Chef for over 10 years, so she must be doing something right?

Hi Kim -

Yep, the chef and food are good and the location fantastic but the prices are horrific. I haven't been there for a couple of years now. It's also a good 30 minute drive from M40.

the goose, britwell salome, jct 6 m40 about ten minutes off.  Has a star but quite informal pubby setting

Has anyone been there recently? We had a very nice meal there a year or two back, but the press release for the 2007 Michelin Guide said that the Goose has had its star removed. What is confusing me about this is that the ViaMichelin website still shows a star - presumably because it hasn't been updated yet?