• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you properly cook oxtails?

Gastro888

Hi everyone,

I have about 3 lbs of oxtail that I am planning to cook on Sunday for Monday's dinner. I am not familar with cooking oxtail (eating it, not a problem :biggrin: ). The end product that I want to have is a tender, falling off the bone, well seasoned oxtail that has a ton of liquid/gravy/juice to sop up. I'll be adding garlic, celery, onions, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and lentils (should I add lentils?) seasoned w/ tomato paste & various spices & herbs from my kitchen. Which means I'll probably add some soy sauce, too!

My questions thus far... :laugh:

-Should I blanch the oxtails prior to cooking? This is often done in Chinese cuisine.

-Should I stew or braise?

-Is chicken stock ok to use in the dish?

Is there anything I should watch out for, things that I definitely should not do with oxtails? I know some cuts of meat are more forgiving than others and I don't know if this is one of them. Thanks for your help!

Thanks, snowangel. That looks like a very interesting recipe. Wow. And a very daunting one for me, too! I highly doubt I could pull that recipe off. Wow. I have a very small shoebox of a kitchen. Have you tried it? What does it taste like?

Don't worry about that recipe, it's great, but not necessary. Just braise them at 300 degress for 3 hours in your favorite broth and vegetable combination, try to keep the liquid level about 1/2 way up the oxtail, check level at mid-cooking, and enjoy! This is peasant fiood!

My wife makes this for us a few times a year. This recipe is very close to the one she uses.

Rabo Enceindido (Oxtail Stew or Fire Tail :P)

Click it!

Here is a Mario recipe we have tried with good results too.

Oxtail alla Vaccinara

Here

-Mike

Edited by NYC Mike (log)

-Mike & Andrea

Oh cool! Those look like recipes I could attempt. Daubes are too daunting, I'm sorry. I think you need a sous chef and a very large kitchen to accomplish all that loveliness.

I think I might do a hybrid of the two recipes you sent me. I like the simplicty of the first recipe but I want to add more veggies.

As for the lentil question - should I? Or should I leave well enough alone?

Here's my very easy Chinese Oxtail Stew.

Trim off as much fat as you easily can. Blanch the pieces for 5 minutes.

Even though it smells great when it's done, it's very important to refrigerate the meat and the liquid separately overnight. When you remove the really thick layer of fat the next morning, you'll see why.

This one perfumes the whole house.

As for the lentil question - should I?  Or should I leave well enough alone?

I think they could work if you have a lot of strong aromatics- I have used them in slow braises - like lamb shanks- just a handful to the broth. I don't think they are necessary. I am anxious to hear how it turns out. :smile:

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Hey, I'm cooking oxtail right now! If you have a large enough crockpot, that would be the easiest, if not, you can make it on the stove.

I start with making a stock:

Oxtail

Onion

Carrot

Celery

Few cloves of garlic

Enough water to cover the ingredients

I let that come to a boil and let it simmer for about 4-5 hours. (Or in the crockpot overnight)

Once I have the stock, I either make soup by adding more vegetables to the stock (usually more onion, carrot and celery along with cabbage, tomato and potato) or made a stew (about one or two cups of the stock with tomato puree, diced onion, carrot and celery, red wine and seasonings and braise until the liquid thicken/reduced to a sauce).

Thanks for your help, everyone! All these hints are great! I just wish I had a crockpot. Shoot.

So can I simmer on the stovetop and then move it to a low (275) oven to finish cooking the oxtails? Would 4 hours of cooking be good enough to make them tender? I plan on cooking it tonight, chilling them, defatting them and then reheating and simmering for an hour tomorrow for dinner.

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

Thanks for your help, everyone!  All these hints are great!  I just wish I had a crockpot.  Shoot.

So can I simmer on the stovetop and then move it to a low (275) oven to finish cooking the oxtails?  Would 4 hours of cooking be good enough to make them tender?  I plan on cooking it tonight, chilling them, defatting them and then reheating and simmering for an hour tomorrow for dinner.

It think that should be enough time. Just check it after the 4 hours and see if the meat is falling off the bone or close to it. The small pieces should be fine, but the larger pieces may take longer.

Enjoy!

I'll post a picture of the final product tomorrow night. Here's what I did:

-Trimmed the excess fat off the tails

-Blanced in boiling salted water for about 7 minutes

-Drained the oxtail and the browned in hot oil. Removed from pan.

-Sauteed minced garlic, onion, carrots & Chinese chives in oil

-Seasoned w/ salt, pepper, oregano, Italian seasoning (I know...), allspice, and a bit of soy sauce

-Added the oxtail

-Added one can of chicken broth

-Added one large can of crushed tomatoes

-Simmered for two hours, removed the oxtail from the sauce

-Blast chilled the oxtail and the sauce (ok, ok, I put it outside where it's 9 degrees)

The dishes are in the fridge now waiting to be cooked again tomorrow. I didn't have enough time to simmer for four hours tonight so I decided to stop the cooking process and continue tomorrow. I used the crushed tomatoes b/c I wanted to try some hybrid Italian ragu/braise thing with the oxtails. Plus I know that a well made tomato based pasta sauce keeps on getting better the next day. Only problem is, how do I skim the fat from it? It seems harder with the tomatoes in the mix. Hopefully when I remove it from the fridge tomorrow, I can scoop off the excess fat. Anyone have any hints?

Thanks for all your help!

Heston Blumenthal on Oxtail: http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,,1084124,00.html

AS it happens I am making this for dinner tomorrow, except that I will cook it 12 hours, cool, skim, reheat.

Served with

Onion and parsley dumplings

Red cabbage

Sprouts and chestnuts

Glazed carrots

A starch: maybe horseradish mash, or rice or quinoa to sop up the juice

Walsingham treacle tart to follow I think...

Edited by jackal10 (log)

So do I need to cook it for 12 hours? (I have in total about 10 pieces of oxtail.) I wonder if I should add some liquid to the pot tonight. It's about 3/4 of the way full. Should I add more chicken broth or more tomatoes? I fear things might be going amiss....

You could also try Sop Buntut a delicious Indonesian take on Oxtail soup, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, spring onions, golfball sized red skinned potatoes unpeeled, tomatoes, garlic, carrots and chinese celery combined with mouthwateringly tender oxtail in a clear broth. Hmmmmh!

"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"

Nungkysman: Food for the Body and the Soul.

So do I need to cook it for 12 hours?  (I have in total about 10 pieces of oxtail.)  I wonder if I should add some liquid to the pot tonight.  It's about 3/4 of the way full.  Should I add more chicken broth or more tomatoes?  I fear things might be going amiss....

No, it doesn't take 12 hours for the oxtail to cook through and falls off the bone. 4-6 hours should be plenty of time. In a crockpot though, it may take longer.

When jackal10 talked about cooking it for 12 hours, it's probably at around a temperature of 55 deg C (correct me if I'm wrong). Long time low temperature cooking. Meat cooked that way is deliciously tender and flavourful. The colour is gorgeous too.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah