• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Conversion kosher to table salt

Norman Walsh

I am mixing a meat cure which calls for 2 ounces of Kosher salt which I cannot find in my area. So I am going to use ordinary table salt, which I believe is stronger than kosher.

Does anyone on the forum know the conversion from table salt to kosher?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Norman

Kosher salt is called for in many cookbooks published in the United States because it is less expensive than coarse sea salt.

I imagine you would not have a hard time finding a good coarse sea salt where you live.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I am mixing a meat cure which calls for 2 ounces of Kosher salt which I cannot find in my area. So I am going to use ordinary table salt, which I believe is stronger than kosher.

Does anyone on the forum know the conversion from table salt to kosher?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Norman

I use canning and pickling salt which is pure (no Iodine or anything else) its very fine and dissolves nicely, and is much Cheaper than Kosher....If you weigh it, the differences in sodium is very very small...Look at the label on the box all the answers are there. But only in weight.

Bud

Kosher salt is typically sold in a form that has larger crystals than regular table salt. So, equivalent volume measurements for the two different salts will give you different amounts. The conversion I've seen most commonly is that 1 Tbs Kosher salt = 1/2 Tbs of regular table salt. When I convert between the two in recipes written for one type of salt or the other I usually start with the assumption of a 1.5:1 (rather than 2:1) difference between the two and then add more salt to taste if needed.

edited to add: I just saw that your recipe measurement is given in weight rather than volume. If so, I believe that you can just weigh out the same amount of table salt.

I see people's comments above, but I'm not sure that the additions to table salt would or would not be a problem for your application as a meat rub. Maybe the difference in texture would make it more difficult to evenly spread a rub over meat since the finer salt crystals would dissolve much more quickly on contact with the damp meat. It might be a good idea to try and sprinkle the rub as evenly as possible over the meat during the application... :unsure:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"