• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quality produce in the winter time

First, I just wanted to say hello to everyone as this is my first post. I am really looking forward to reading and posting on these forums as often as possible. I was elated to say the least when I discovered eGullet as cooking is my passion. I must say that I am very jealous of everyone in California and other more temperate areas of the country/world where gardening can be done year-round and farmer's markets are open year-round. This leads me to my first question which goes out anyone who lives in the southern Maine area (or anyone else who wants to chime in :smile: ; where do you shop for produce in the winter?

I have taken matters into my own hands as I am in the process of building two 4' x8' cold frame greenhouses so I can grow some produce year-round. However, I am becoming increasingly disillusioned by the commercial supermarkets in my area. HELP!! I do realize that what can be grown in the northeast in the winter is very limited but is there anyplace that really takes pride in their quality, organic, at least semi-local produce?

Thanks in advance, I am off to contemplate dinner :raz: !!

Welcome to eGullet.

Our local farmer's market is staying open this winter but it's pretty slim pickings. Lots of root vegetables and not much green. If you live in southern Maine, you may be close to Portland, and when we visited at Thanksgiving, I thought I saw a big, new Whole Foods Market close to downtown. They should have a good selection of vegetables. Beware, it's not affectionately referred to as "Whole Paycheck" for nothing.

According to today's paper, Whole Foods is scheduled to open in mid-February.

Rosemount Market, Wild Oats, and some Hannafords have organic produce, although i don't know how much is even 'semi-local' this time of year. I shopped at the Portland farmer's market until Thanksgiving and am still eating the root veggies and stuff i canned from my garden this autumn...but haven't been in a grocery store in months.

I think the concensus from the "Food in Portland" thread is that Portland needs a produce market.

I've heard for a long time that finer Portland restaurants were supplied by Laughing Stock Farm in Freeport. I googled them and discovered this website that hasn't been updated since April 2005. I hope they are so busy they don't have time for it.

I started rooting around and saw the "Winter" season page of the operation, then there is the "Energy Project", where it seems a grant was used to fund the adaptation of commercially available multi-fuel waste energy oil burners to allow use of restaurant waste vegetable oil for greenhouse heating. (if you are an alternative energy geek, see Final Report):smile:

Fascinating, but I still don't know what's up over there today. Might have to check it out. Otherwise, we're all going to wait a few weeks then come visit you in your 4'x8' cold frame greenhouse. Ellie can distract you while fatdeko and johnnyd pluck those ripe tomatos... :wink:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 weeks later...

Come to think of it, the last time I was at the Public Market House in Monument Square, I saw that Hortons was carrying produce from local farms. I'm not quite sure how long ago (maybe Thanksgiving) but it struck me that the selection was unusual for that late in the season -- leeks, greens, peppers, etc. Worth checking out.

btw, I was trying (in vain) to chop up ice on my driveway yesterday and noticed that the oregano plant I had long abandoned was going gang-busters! We had useable parsley in the back until maybe a week ago. Weird!

I have taken matters into my own hands as I am in the process of building two 4' x8' cold frame greenhouses so I can grow some produce year-round.  However, I am becoming increasingly disillusioned by the commercial supermarkets in my area.  HELP!!  I do realize that what can be grown in the northeast in the winter is very limited but is there anyplace that really takes pride in their quality, organic, at least semi-local produce?

Thanks in advance, I am off to contemplate dinner :raz: !!

A cold frame will certainly give you a start on the season, I'd guess four weeks, but perhaps even six. You won't be able to grow produce year round. It will also extend your season in the fall. Placement of the cold frame is important, but so is a thermostatically controlled venting system. You want as much sun as possible, but don't don't want to cook things on an unusually warm, sunny day.

A surplus French door and some 2" x 6" planks is a good way to start.

The temperature right now at Hanscom Field is 3F.

Jim

Produce of a somewhat local and/or organic origin can be found in around these Southernmost parts in Kittery at Golden Harvest. They are located on a very useful corridor of Rte 1, also known as State Road, south of the traffic circle. On the same strip is a great bakery (Beach Pea) and a very good butcher (name?) as well as a place that sells fresh pasta. I think Golden Harvest has by far the best produce south of Portland, they are nice people as well. The Hannaford in York (also on Rte 1 further up) is also pretty good as large supermarket chains go. I don't get down there as much as I would like, tend to head North to Portland where we frequent the previously mentioned Rosemont and, to a much lesser extent, Wild Oats. We are looking forward to the Whole Foods opening, even though they are expensive. It's not easy to find great produce around here in the winter, it's true. I think ErikD from Bandol is trying to do something about the situation in Portland. But when summer comes..... we are all lucky!

On a related topic, coming in early April, my husband and I will be opening a bookstore in Portland devoted to books on food and wine, which will include books on farming and gardening. Come visit us if you are looking for any reading material on the subject. More (basic) info here :Rabelais Books

Check out Golden Harvest, I think you will be pleased.

Albest,

Samantha

www.RabelaisBooks.com

Thought for Food