• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cooking and Cuisine of Trentino Alto Adige

Thank you both. Very recently our Central Market started selling a more specifically TAA-labelled speck as opposed to a more generic product, usually from Austria or Germany. I find it more subtle and appealing than the kinds we previously had.

This was the first time I'd seen boned shanks as well; I'm curious to know what Asian dishes in particular call for it. But the market is amazing; they even carry pork blood!

Franci

we made it a family affair to make your apple streudel this weekend and had a great time doing it.  My wife and three year old had a great time spreading sugar, cinnamon, apples, raisins and nuts.  I will try to post a picture, though it will only be of what is left as we could not wait to long after it came out of the oven to cut into it.

grazie per la ricetta

Dave

Dave, I am so happy that you and the family had fun with it!!! How did the dough work?

Looking forward to see the picture :smile:

Thank you both.  Very recently our Central Market started selling a more specifically TAA-labelled speck as opposed to a more generic product, usually from Austria or Germany.  I find it more subtle and appealing than the kinds we previously had. 

This was the first time I'd seen boned shanks as well; I'm curious to know what Asian dishes in particular call for it.  But the market is amazing; they even carry pork blood!

Kevin, you are working for all of us! I feel a little ashamed. I thought of making something with buckwheat but I left my spaeztle grater in Italy :biggrin: and now I am thinking about the buckwheat cake with a blueberry jam filling or the Meraner Torte.

Thank you both.  Very recently our Central Market started selling a more specifically TAA-labelled speck as opposed to a more generic product, usually from Austria or Germany.  I find it more subtle and appealing than the kinds we previously had. 

This was the first time I'd seen boned shanks as well; I'm curious to know what Asian dishes in particular call for it.  But the market is amazing; they even carry pork blood!

Ah, I forgot, i am thinking of an Asian dish that maybe uses those shanks, and I actually would be something that you find also in Italian cooking. I always amazed when I find similarities in my husband chinese family and Italian food: pork with beans! In Italian would be fagioli con la cotica.

Ah, I forgot, i am thinking of an Asian dish that maybe uses those shanks, and I actually would be something that you find also in Italian cooking. I always amazed when I find similarities in my husband chinese family and Italian food: pork with beans! In Italian would be fagioli con la cotica.

Have been lately in an Italian restaurant and ordered "fagioli con le cotiche" not knowing exactly what it is. I like white beans very much. What I got was "White beans and pork-rind in a garlicy tomatosauce sprinkled with chopped parsley. Does that dish belong to a specific region ?

Edited by legourmet (log)

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Well, admittedly not a surprise, but this thread wound up being our shortest regional treatment. Hopefully everyone's interest will pick back up for next month's region, the Veneto. I won't be able to get a writeup up until later today or tomorrow morning, however.

Anyways, for lunches for it looks like the next two weeks, I made the barley soup again from one of Pontormo's links:

gallery_19696_582_44037.jpg

When I was making the soup, after I added the barley there wasn't enough left to warrant keeping, so I threw that in as well. Predictably, it set up like Quik-crete and sucked up every drop of liquid in the pot. It's quite the starch bomb, what with potatoes in there as well. I used smocked pork hocks instead of the ham bone called for and the barley really soaked up their flavor so it's a satisfying, meaty tasting soup, perfect to slurp on yesterday as I watched snow(!) fall outside the window at work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 13 years later...
On 1/22/2007 at 4:32 PM, Franci said:

Kevin, congratulations to you too!!!

Just to help you out, I do drink wine moderately, a couple glasses on weekends. I checked for toxo and unfortunately I am not immune, so I am stuck with prosciutto cotto and mortadella only :angry:

I am more incline to think it's caraway, in German is Kümmel and there it is used to flavour breads (this I tried there is a bakery in Milan) .

In Italian cumino is cummin

Polenta is one of those things that if you have a fireplace you should really try to see the difference!!!

Maybe not many outside Italy know the existence of this pot. It is an electric copper pot with an arm that will keep stirring the polenta at a very slow pace.

gallery_20639_4142_20604.jpg

gallery_20639_4142_45194.jpg

So far, I have been travelling with this polentiera all around the States and here in UK without having the possibility to use it: I am always cursed with an electric stove.

Last time in Milan I finally saw one with a flat bottom...but I didn't buy, I must have a gas stove in the next house.

The preferences on polenta are different according to the areas. My mom is from Bergamo and they are known for liking a very coarse polenta (the bramata) and is pretty thick.

In any case the polenta is done when the bottom is stuck to the pot, making a crust.

CHEM, nice to see you also here.

@Franci, any further thoughts on these machines?  Stirring at the stove is becoming more and more difficult for me.  Amazon has one that (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) works with induction but the minimum quantity is listed as 1kg.  The Italian amazon site offers a smaller size as well.

Tonight I plan to try polenta in my precise heat mixing bowl, but I am not sure it will end well.

The precise heat mixing bowl on the KitchenAid actually made eatable polenta.  But it was too dry and not the greatest.  The problem is the PHMB took an hour to come to temperature, even with adding half the water boiling.

The polenta was also too salty, but it's hard to blame that on KitchenAid.

Anyone else familiar with Italian polenta makers like the one @Franci showed?

@JoNorvelleWalker, sorry, I just saw your message now. The pot looks very nice but in my opinion, I’d invest into it only if you plan to eat a lot of polenta...and you need to cook also a decent amount. Not that the polenta it will not last, you can eat the leftovers for days. My kids really love polenta but I don’t think I would invest in the pot now (I think I returned the  pot I had back then to my mom or sister because it was round and with the italian wattage). Really good quality polenta made in the proper copper pot on the wood fire is a totally different experience but I often buy the polenta moretti lampo, 5 minutes mixing (you can find it on Amazon, I believe). I would not trust the polenta here anyway...how fresh is it, is the quality really good? Regardless of using regular polenta or instant, I never read the ratios polenta to water written on the packages, with time, I just learned when to stop pouring the polenta to my liking. I’d rather pick how much water I want, so, how much/little polenta I decide to make. I try the water saltiness before pouring in the polenta. I stop pouring when I can see the vortex in the middle when whisking, I don’t know if make sense ☺️ Since in Miami I cook less polenta because it’s warm, although still leftover grilled polenta is quite good no matter the temperature. 

• Thanks 1
  • Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      I love pasta and eat it several times a week.

I love cheese and eat it when I can find it here. When I was a kid, the local grocer called us the Cheese Family as we ate so much.

But I loathe macaroni cheese as it is known where I'm from. Maybe just too many stodgy, bad experiences in the past. Or maybe it's just horrible. My brother loved it though and when he moved to Spain insisted on the family sending him regular packs of his favourite brand of British macaroni.

What I did like was what my mother called 'Macaroni Mish-Mash', which was basically cooked macaroni fried with bacon, onions and tomatoes plus any leftovers, however inappropriate. Never mushrooms.

I hadn't thought about that dish in decades until this topic disinterred it from the ravages of my memory. Might have to make it. I will include mushrooms.
    • By shain
      Makes 40 cookies, 2 loaves. 

50-60 g very aromatic olive oil
      80 g honey 
      120 to 150 g sugar (I use 120 because I like it only gently sweet) 
      2 eggs
      2 teaspoons of fine lemon zest, from apx 1 lemon 
      230 g flour 
      1 teaspoon salt 
      1 teaspoon baking powder 
      75 g lightly toasted peeled pistachios
      50 g lightly toasted almonds (you can replace some with pine nuts) 
      Optional: a little rosemary or anise seed
      Optional: more olive oil for brushing

Heat oven to 170 deg C.
      In mixer (or by hand), mix oil, honey, sugar, lemon, egg and if desired, the optional spices - until uniform. 
      Separately mix together the flour, salt and baking powder. 
      Add flour mixture to mixer bowel with liquids and fold until uniform. Dough will be sticky and quite stiff. Don't knead or over mix. 
      Add nuts and fold until well dispersed. 
      On a parchment lined baking tray, create two even loaves of dough. 
      With moist hands, shape each to be rectangular and somewhat flat - apx 2cm heigh, 6cm wide and 25cm long. 
      Bake 25 to 30 minutes until golden and baked throughout, yet somewhat soft and sliceable. Rotate pan if needed for even baking. 
      Remove from tray and let chill slightly or completely. 
      Using a sharp serrated knife, gently slice to thin 1/2 cm thick cookies. Each loaf should yield 20 slices. 
      Lay slices on tray and bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 10-15 minutes until complelty dry and lightly golden. 
      Brush with extra olive oil, if desired. This will and more olive flavor. 
      Let chill completely before removing from tray. 
      Cookies keep well in a closed container and are best served with desert wines or herbal tea. 

• By psantucc
      My own recipe, though influenced by many sources.
      Santucci's Practical Torrone (Christmas Nougat)
      180g honey (½ cup)
      100g egg whites (2 eggs)
      350g sugar (1 ½ cups)
      50g water (2 tablespoons)
      450g (1 pound) roasted nuts
      5-10 drops orange oil
      2 sheets (8 ½” x 11”) Ostia (aka wafer, edible paper)
      Combine honey, water, and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Skim foam (if any is seen) off the honey when it reaches the boil.
      In a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
      Cook the honey mixture to 280° F (137° C). Remove from the heat. With the mixer on high speed, slowly pour the mixture into the egg whites. Continue to whisk until volume has increased by about half and the mixture just starts to lose gloss – only about 5 minutes.
      Reduce the mixer speed and add the orange oil and nuts. When they are thoroughly mixed in, spread the resulting nougat over a sheet of Ostia. Try to cover the sheet as evenly as possible- the nougat is sticky and will make things difficult. When it is evenly covered, top with the other sheet of Ostia.
      Leave to cool and crystallize completely in the open air before cutting, preferably overnight.
      Note: I call this 'practical' Torrone because the recipe is made for home confectioners of reasonable skill to be able to easily understand what and how much to buy and what to do with it. The ingredient portions are biased for my country, the USA, but I saw no point in using English ounces for the weight-based version – those of us who prefer weight generally prefer it in grams.
      Tips and tricks:
      1.Keep nuts in a warm oven ( about 150° F / 65° C ) until you add them. Adding room temperature or colder nuts will reduce working time.
      2.Getting the nougat spread between sheets of Ostia is the trickiest part of the process. I use buttered caramel rulers on the outside edges of the bottom sheet, pour and press nougat in place, and then press the top layer on with an offset spatula. If you don't have caramel rulers, try spreading the nougat with an offset spatula, topping with the other sheet, and rolling with a pin to smooth. I advise against trying to cast the slab in any kind of fixed side pan, as the stickiness will make it very difficult to remove.
      3.Score the top layer of Ostia before cutting through. Once scored, a straight down cut with a Chef's knife works well. Cut into six 8 1/2” long bars and wrap in parchment or waxed paper to store, then cut into smaller rectangles to serve.
      4.There are many possible alternate flavorings. 1-10 Lemon oil or 1 t. (5 ml) vanilla or almond extract work well and are traditional flavors. Candied orange peel and/or orange zest can also be added.
      5.I use half pistachio and half almonds as the nuts. Hazelnuts (filberts) are also traditional. Any common nut should work.
      6.Ostia is available from confectionery suppliers. I get 8-1/2” x 11” sheets from www.sugarcraft.com under the name 'wafer paper'.
      This recipe is copyright 2009 by Patrick J. Santucci. Contact the author on eGullet under the username psantucc.
    • By Paul Bacino
      1 C Northern Beans soaked over-night in
      4-6C Water or Chxn Stock
      1/2 t Cayenne Pepper
      1//2 t Granulated garlic
      1 twig Dried oregano-- dried from last yr
      2 Bay
      pinch of salt ( yes ) and few pepper corns
      in the Morning; All into the Slow Cooker for 5 hrs. ( Crock Pot )
      I removed half the liquor and added chicken stock here back in . to this I added diced cooked Italian sausage about 1 whole .. simmer in a pot.. I transferred to... then add 1/2 head of shopped chicory ( curly endive ) finish cooking 15 mins
      cheers
      Most measurements again are from feel
    • By ElfWorks
      ITALIAN CREAM CAKE

1/2 c BUTTER (RT)
      1/2 c SHORTENING
      2 c SUGAR
      5 EGGS, SEPARATED
      2 c AP FLOUR
      1 tsp BS
      1 c BUTTERMILK
      5-1/2 tsp VANILLA
      3-1/2 oz CAN GRATED COCONUT
      1 c CHOPPED PECANS
      Cream Cheese Frosting
      1/4 c BUTTER (RT)
      8 oz CREAM CHEESE (RT)
      2 c SIFTED XXX SUGAR
      1 tsp VANILLA
      1/2 CHOPPED PECANS
      1/2 c GRATED COCONUT

Cream butter and shortening. Add sugar, beating til smooth. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour and soda. Add alternately with buttermilk. Stir in vanilla. Add coconut and pecans. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Bake in 3 greased and flour 9-inch cake pans at 350* for 20 to 25 mins, or until done. Cool and frost with CREAM CHEESE FROSTING.
      Frosting
      Cream butter and cream cheese. Add sugar, mixing well. Add vanilla. Spread between layers and on top of cake. Sprinkle with pecans and coconut.
      Keywords: Dessert, Cake
      ( RG1053 )